PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to let them get on with it?

buzzy bee
28-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm pregnant at the moment and feeling quite tired and sick most of the time.

I'm lucky that most of the children I have are happy to play on their own. 2 in particular like to fill containers and carry them around the house...

Today we've been to toddlers but the rest of the time we've been at home and I've been sat on the sofa watching them walk around with their boxes and bags.

Is this ok? I feel like I should be doing more with them but while they're happy and I'm feeling like this I'm just enjoying the rest!

QualityCare
28-02-2012, 02:42 PM
There's nothing wrong with sitting and watching the children as they develop their imaginations and their own games, they can come to you for stories, singing and cuddles and you can step in if needs be.

little chickee
28-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes i think its fine for them to play happily themselves.

Its good for kids to be able to amuse themselves without needing an adult to instruct them all the time - in fact i think its essential for kids to learn this.

As long as you are keeping a eye on them its all good in my opinion.

Mouse
28-02-2012, 03:02 PM
When I was pregnant I used to have an hour in the afternoon when I'd lie on the sofa with my feet rested up on the end of it!

The children were quite happy playing in the same room. I joined in from where I was - I could fit toys together, sing songs, communicate with them etc, just from an odd position. And of course, I could still get up if I needed to!

Parents knew I did this & were quite happy about it. It was either that or they made other arrangements for their children!

mushpea
28-02-2012, 03:45 PM
my lot played out in the garden for over and hour by themselves today,, they are both 3yrs and love the garden,, they played with the toy kitchen using stones as food, built castles with the large bloks, used the guttering to roll balls down, played in the ride on cars, chalked on the easel, used the toy house as work, doctors, school,, they enjoyed every minute and in my oppion my going out and playing with them would probably have spoiled what they were doing as they were so ingrossed in their games which was great as it meant I got time to spend with the 7 month old and when she slept I did paperwork.
children need time to play with out adult intervension to learn to play on their own and develop their imaginations

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 03:51 PM
I've been relegated to the sofa again today. They have been playing with the home corner and I seem to just get in the way!

I was concerned at first that I wasn't playing enough with them but I'm starting to realise my job is to allow them to play, getting out the right activties and letting them explore it in their own way.

They do bring me books now and again or just climb on up for a cuddle and I do one activity a day that involves me getting down hands on like crafts.

If they're happy and you need the rest carry on :)

ziggy
28-02-2012, 04:15 PM
mine spend alot of the day playing without me 'bothering them' lol. I have a friend with 3 children under the age of 5 who constantly plays with/entertains them and they are the only children who ever visit this house and complain they are bored. I think it is so sad when children cant play because they have never been allowed to.

Enjoy the rest, sounds like children are having great time:)

buzzy bee
28-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the reassurance :thumbsup:

you just read / hear all this stuff about how important it is for adults to play with kids and I worry especially for my own son that I'm not doing very much of that at the moment.

Little Pickles
28-02-2012, 05:19 PM
It is very important for children to play on their own - if you are feeling bad about it take some photos and do some observations on post it notes to make you feel better !
A lot of the children who I have cared for over the years have parents who work long hours and so fit in a huge amount of activities and outings at weekends - some times they seem quite relieved to just play without going to a different group or activity. Its very good for them to play by themselves without having constant adult input - will learn independence and let their imagination run wild !
Just don't fall asleep !!!! :laughing:

fionamadcat
28-02-2012, 05:26 PM
I've wondered this before, I have 2 4 yr olds who have very similar imaginations and get caught up playing allsorts of wonderful games together, I just leave them to it now I'm there if they need me and if they need any intervention. My only problem is that they then don't want to do the organised activities like baking or arts and crafts.