PDA

View Full Version : Am I allowed to do a sweetie day??

stargazer1
28-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I am just in the process of being registered (waiting for my paperwork). Was just wondering, my daughter is in school and on a Friday after school we go to the shop and she can pick a sweetie. Only that one day, sort of as an end of week treat. I'm just not sure how to deal with this with mindees? I feel a bit mean stopping my daughter as she looks forward to sweetie day, but I'm not sure if it is inappropriate to join mindees on it? Any views please? xx

Bear23
28-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I am just in the process of being registered (waiting for my paperwork). Was just wondering, my daughter is in school and on a Friday after school we go to the shop and she can pick a sweetie. Only that one day, sort of as an end of week treat. I'm just not sure how to deal with this with mindees? I feel a bit mean stopping my daughter as she looks forward to sweetie day, but I'm not sure if it is inappropriate to join mindees on it? Any views please? xx

I do with the older ones x as long as your not fillng them with sweets everyday i think its fine x

~Chelle~
28-02-2012, 09:46 AM
As long as you have the parents permission then why not??

I always do this on a Thursday, as I have all of my mindee's on this day and they all have a treat after tea.

I always have a rule that I will buy for all, or not at all! If the parents do not give permission, then save it for a Saturday for your little girl x

EmmaReed84
28-02-2012, 09:47 AM
If parents are ok with it I would do it. You dont have to buy them all "sweets" my sons love nothing more than a small bag of fruit from boots as a treat. My friends child loves breadsticks, and another friends child likes them goodies carrot stick things.

mushpea
28-02-2012, 09:50 AM
ask the parents if their ok then go for it,,, my children now have their sweets later on when the others have gone home or they will go to the shop themselves choose somthing then sneak it home but they are a bit older and know they have to do this without the others seeing.

stargazer1
28-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Thank you. Thats what I was thinking, checking with the parents and if all ok then on a Friday after the school run then we will go to the shop where they can pick something of their choice, so if they are used to more healthy options then great. Its not something we would do every day, their daily snacks will be healthy, just a treat once a week. I just felt a bit mean if I had to stop it with my daughter, I think her world is going to be turned a bit upside down with the new mindees I've got booked, don't want to take away sweetie day too unless I have to. Thank you :)

Mouse
28-02-2012, 11:36 AM
We used to have cake day on a Friday. I'd pick a mindee up from nursery at lunchtime & we'd stop at the cake shop on the way home. He would spend ages trying to decide what he wanted, but always chose a sugar doughnut. We'd have lunch, then our cakes. The rest of the week he ate very healthily, so I didn't see a problem with having a weekly treat. To be honest, I think it was the actual chosing & buying that he preferred to the eating anyway :laughing:

He's at senior school now, but he still remembers "Friday cake day" :D

loocyloo
28-02-2012, 11:50 AM
we used to go to the local sweet shop every now and again and i would give everyone 20p and they had to choose their own penny sweets ... great counting and decision making skills :D

caz3007
28-02-2012, 11:53 AM
I dont do a specific day but my parents have always been ok for me to give the children sweets in moderation and we will go to the shop and choose. Unless you have a parent really against it, surely its part of childhood have sweets occasionally

sonia ann
28-02-2012, 11:57 AM
we used to go to the local sweet shop every now and again and i would give everyone 20p and they had to choose their own penny sweets ... great counting and decision making skills :D

this is what I do........... I'm mean though and they only get 5p or 10p ;), they choose their own sweets and then go and pay at the till by themselves...................ticks a lot of boxes PSED, PSRN ,CLL and even PD ....having to pick up the sweets with those little tongs:D

fionamadcat
28-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I used to do this with my children, when I started minding I had a chat with them and gave them the option of either getting their sweetie on saturday or adding an extra 50p onto their pocket money, they went with the 50p. I do give a special snack most fridays now though, so cake or cookies something like that.

AliceK
28-02-2012, 02:29 PM
If you were doing something like that and had one mindee who wasn't allowed anything like that (2 / 3yr old) what would you do?
Just curious

xxxx

little chickee
28-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I think if one wasn't allowed sweets it would be quite unfair to let the others have and not them.

If this was the case i wouldn't let any of them have sweets and would give my kids theirs when i wasnt working.

unless the child who wasn't allowed didnt mind not having and was offered an alternative treat instead.

AliceK
28-02-2012, 02:39 PM
I think if one wasn't allowed sweets it would be quite unfair to let the others have and not them.

If this was the case i wouldn't let any of them have sweets and would give my kids theirs when i wasnt working.

unless the child who wasn't allowed didnt mind not having and was offered an alternative treat instead.

Thank you for your opinion.
I though think that it is unfair that all the other children miss out on treats including our own young children just because 1 parent doesn't want their child to have the occasional chocolately thing / ice pop / sweets / cake etc.
Interesting!! :thumbsup:

xxxx

little chickee
28-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Thank you for your opinion.
I though think that it is unfair that all the other children miss out on treats including our own young children just because 1 parent doesn't want their child to have the occasional chocolately thing / ice pop / sweets / cake etc.
Interesting!! :thumbsup:

xxxx

Your right too. Why should nobody have just because 1 parent says no.
It would be a bit like organising a trip out and all parents gave permission except 1 - do you not go cos 1 says no?

I think i need to go away and think it through!!!

AliceK
28-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Your right too. Why should nobody have just because 1 parent says no.
It would be a bit like organising a trip out and all parents gave permission except 1 - do you not go cos 1 says no?

I think i need to go away and think it through!!!

:laughing: I'm only asking because I have 8 children on my books and 1 is not allowed anything like that at all but all the others are. It's difficult isn't it :(

xxxx

loocyloo
28-02-2012, 04:24 PM
i don't / didn't ask permission to give sweets. i tell parents that whilst i don't give many sweets, they are occaisonally given to the children as part of a normal healthy diet.

i did have one parent who said she would rather her child had raisons, and i told her that they have as much sugar as sweets, and stick to the teeth much better ;)

the younger children would only have a couple of sweets.

(nor do i ask specific permission for outings! i have it covered in my general permission and then i tell the parents we are going! (and sometimes i don't tell them till after the event ! some of my trips out are spur of the moment!)

AliceK
28-02-2012, 04:48 PM
i don't / didn't ask permission to give sweets. i tell parents that whilst i don't give many sweets, they are occaisonally given to the children as part of a normal healthy diet.

i did have one parent who said she would rather her child had raisons, and i told her that they have as much sugar as sweets, and stick to the teeth much better ;)

the younger children would only have a couple of sweets.

(nor do i ask specific permission for outings! i have it covered in my general permission and then i tell the parents we are going! (and sometimes i don't tell them till after the event ! some of my trips out are spur of the moment!)

I don't ask either but have 1 parent who went bonkers because her child had 3 chocolate buttons one day :eek: I was then instructed not to give mindee anything like that again.

xxxx

singlewiththree
28-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I have a child who can't have sweets or chocolate which is hard but we have crisp friday!

Twinkles
28-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm very mean and give chocolate only on rare occasions. Easter , Christmas etc.

A friend of mine has 'Chocolate Fridays' though and I don't see any harm in it.

onceinabluemoon
28-02-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm beginning to feel very mean and guilty because I don't buy my mindees sweets at all.

BUT we make cakes and biscuits and sometimes (almost always) there are decorations left over which we munch on so they do get treats (and the cakes too, lol) so maybe I'm not too mean after all...

EmmaReed84
28-02-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm beginning to feel very mean and guilty because I don't buy my mindees sweets at all.

BUT we make cakes and biscuits and sometimes (almost always) there are decorations left over which we munch on so they do get treats (and the cakes too, lol) so maybe I'm not too mean after all...

Sorry but can't fight the urge to be really sad :blush: and say

So you only give treat "Once In A Blue Moon" :laughing:

I am actually laughing how sad am I lol