PDA

View Full Version : Wooden musical instruments

MissTinkerbell
28-02-2012, 08:45 AM
My 2 little mindees just love music and I would like to get some wooden, preferably although I guess they don't have to be for them. They are 9 months old so need something suitable for babies.

Been looking online at various places and they all just seem so expensive for what you get. Anyone found any places where they are cheap or reasonably priced?

Mouse
28-02-2012, 08:58 AM
I've found that for decent quality wooden instruments you do sometimes have to pay a lot. I've built my collection up over years, buying them as I see them. The Works bookshop often has them in and I've bought nice ones from Amazon.

I would say watch out for the cheaper ones you can buy, especially the brightly painted ones. They look lovely, but often have bits that fall off and I wouldn't give them to younger children who tend to chew them!

sarah707
28-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I have bought them over the years - the Works and sales in ELC.

I had some nice multicultural ones but a child sat and dismantled them all so they had to go in the bin :rolleyes:

The wooden ones tend to be quite heavy so you'd need to risk assess before giving them to little ones who might clunk themselves in the face if they waved them around.

Hth :D

miffy
28-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I've bought some small ones like egg shakers and sticks that you bang together (sorry, their name escapes me atm) from tes show and a few from the Works but these vary in quality from quite good to rubbish. I'm not sure the children prefer the wooden ones - they tend to go for what makes the funniest noise!

Miffy xx

Bear23
28-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I keep my eye out at car boots for stuff lke this

I can not wait for them to start again :D:D:D