PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration for Dressing Up

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I want to fill my new dressing up box with more "found" dressing up items such as little old handbags and hats from charity shops. My OH said a few mens white shirts would be great for all sorts such as playing doctor so I'll get some of those but then I am stuck.

What real items can I find in charity shops and supermarkets that would be great for pretend play?

I plan on putting these in the lovely new wooden chest I'm getting along with things like a plastic tea set, doctors kit etc. Then I'm going to rename it "the imagination chest" lol.

I'm very excited but I'm just not creative enough.

Toothfairy
28-02-2012, 08:54 AM
A net curtain for a wedding veil.
A bow tie for the groom
Lengths of different couloured material ie: yellow for the sand, blue for the sea etc
A couple of silver or gold pashminas for sari's
lots of hats and bags
a black cape
feather boa's

HTH :thumbsup:

jumping j
28-02-2012, 08:56 AM
ooo like some of these ideas. might give them a go

Mouse
28-02-2012, 09:12 AM
I don't have any ready made or character dressing up clothes like fairy dresses, doctors outfit etc. I find the younger children struggle to get them on and off by themselves.

I have things like lengths of fabric, an old knitted waistcoat, a bright elasticated waist skirt, hats, bags, purses, wallets, shoes, headscarves, a child's suit jacket, a sari, some net material and some chunky jewellery. Even the youngest children can put a hat on or pull a piece of material around their shoulders.

loocyloo
28-02-2012, 09:28 AM
i have hats (incl police/fireman/chef/builder etc), scarfs, a couple of animal tails on elastic, some animal masks, bags, child sized waistcoats and lots of lengths of fabric.

i took out all the actual 'costumes' as restricting play, although should anyone want/ask for fireman/builder/police/nurse/fairy/monkey and countless others i can easily get them fromt he box upstairs!

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 10:54 AM
These are great thank you so much!! I can not wait for pay day to go charity shop shopping. I'm going to go somewhere nice like bewdley and stop for lunch lol.

Happy Bunny
28-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I also have a couple of old mobile phones in there, aprons, a straw boater. an old hard hat, plus handbags, purses, chunky necklaces.

Mouse
28-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I also have a couple of old mobile phones in there, aprons, a straw boater. an old hard hat, plus handbags, purses, chunky necklaces.

We have a box of old mobile phones, house phones, old TV remotes and a little keyboard thing from an old phone/fax machine. The children love them. I would like to get an real old dial phone, but I've yet to see one that wasn't stupidbly expensive!

mindingmummy08
28-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Oo yes I'd love an old phone too but haven't found a decent price one. Good thinking with the old phones keyboards etc added to list. :)

miffy
28-02-2012, 02:13 PM
I got lots of hats from Claire's Accesories in the sale last year - they've lasted well and the children love using them.

Favourites here are shoes, bags and then lengths of material to wrap round themselves. Try the markets, they often have off cuts of material at reasonable prices.

Miffy xx

Mouse
28-02-2012, 02:17 PM
And bunches of keys. My mindees love puttinng them in their bags or pockets :thumbsup: