PDA

View Full Version : 1yr old Hair Grabber

Sweetpea
27-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello

I have a 1yr old who keeps grabbing other children's hair.

I have tried different tactics like ignoring it and saying sternly 'no' but he keeps doing it.

He doesn't seem to be doing it nastily. Its almost like it's his way of saying hello and exploring. He grabs their hair and tries to hold on as long as possible :panic:

Help, I've run out of ideas and other children are starting to fight back when he comes near them!

Thanks

Sweetpea

Sweetpea
28-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Does any one have any ideas that work for them?

Have I posted this in the wrong section?

singingcactus
28-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Think it's just a stage that many kids go through, he will stop doing it all by himself. In the meantime you'll just have to be extra vigilant. Hurts though doesn't it?

miffy
28-02-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd just try distracting him or moving him away as quickly as possible. Hopefully it's a phase that won't last too long!

Miffy xx

sarah707
28-02-2012, 07:51 AM
It's very common - it's a tactile experience.

try and make sure he has other things in his hands and give the other children coping strategies / pin up girls hair so he can't get it.

Hth :D

onceinabluemoon
28-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Agree with whats already been said, the other thing we did when we had a grabber was to wear hats indoors, made it into a game. Would that be worth trying?

stargazer1
28-02-2012, 09:49 AM
my own one year old does it. His sister has very long hair and he seems to be constantly hanging off the end of it. Normally, hes not doing it nastily and is happily smiling away ad trying to hug her with the other arm while shes screaming blue murder. But sometimes if they are playing a bit rough he will grab it in a temper. He grabs my hair too and it really hurts!!! I'm trying to ignore it tho as when I say "no" etc he seems to thinks it a game. I'm guessing he will grow out of it, as I seem to remember my daughter always hanging off my hair at one point and then it just stopped. I guess distraction is the best way forward for now.

Sweetpea
28-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to double check that holding onto the hope that it's a phase was a rational thing.

Thanks

sillysausage
28-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Hair...it feels so soft and silky and smooth etc etc etc When you think about it, it's not surprising babies and toddlers find it so appealing to touch, grab and yank. I would be trying to encourage him to stroke rather than grab and be saying 'X doesn't like it when you pull her hair, but you can stroke mine' and guide him into handling my hair kindly.
The phase will soon pass.