PDA

View Full Version : One thing that worries me about working alone

nipper
27-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Well, tonight just before tea I was about to mash my potatoes armed with a masher when my hand slipped and I caught my thumb badly on the edge of the saucepan...I yelped and my kids ran into the kitchen to see what had happened. Thankfully I didn't have any mindees with me at the time. Thinking I had just taken a chunk off the end of my thumb, clean slice and all that...oh my god no...blood everywhere, at which husband walked through the door. I jokingly said to him, would you mind mashing the spuds, while I went off to run under the tap. Next thing I know I'm sprawled out on the floor having passed out!!!:panic:
I was supposed to be going to college tonight too, but DH wouldn't let me go out.

This is the one thing that I really worry about working alone. Apparently I do have a habit of going dizzy, especially when losing limbfuls of blood. I'm just so glad it didn't happen during the day, I mean what would I have done?

Katiekoo
27-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh gosh hope you're ok now! I didn't worry about this happening, now I am!

loocyloo
27-02-2012, 09:21 PM
i once had to ring my next door neighbour to come and stick my thumb back together when i cut it badly on a tin of tomatoes! luckily she'd done the first aid course with me ( as she was my assistant ) and she had a friend over who was a nurse !!! between them they put steristrips over cut, bandaged etc and i was off again!

but i hadn't thought what i would do now i've moved and don't really have any neighbours! guess my emergency contacts would have to come & help!

jojobell
27-02-2012, 09:28 PM
oh no!!!!! reminds me of when i put my finger in a blender! ( put my finger on the blade of a hand blender to scoop of icing-i was making a cake!!) i accidently lent of the button and took the top of my finger off! i phoned my mum to say id lost my finger in her birthday cake i was making and passed out on the floor, mum called the amulance and i went to hospital-- retached it............... way before my childminding days thank god!!!

nipper
27-02-2012, 09:33 PM
oh no!!!!! reminds me of when i put my finger in a blender! ( put my finger on the blade of a hand blender to scoop of icing-i was making a cake!!) i accidently lent of the button and took the top of my finger off! i phoned my mum to say id lost my finger in her birthday cake i was making and passed out on the floor, mum called the amulance and i went to hospital-- retached it............... way before my childminding days thank god!!!

Same thing happened to an old work colleague, whizzing up a puree for her 6 month old daughter. Apparently the blade cut through to the bone. She was alone with her two year old as well as the baby who she had to send next door to fetch help (the two yr old, not the baby):panic::laughing:

miffy
27-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Good job your dh was around to help. Hope your thumb is OK?

I suppose if it happened during the day you would just have to ring your emergency contacts and hope they were around to pick up the pieces.

Miffy xx

Zoomie
27-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I once dropped a cup and it cut the top of my foot. Blood pooled all over the floor and I was too scared to move. Luckily my husband was here and we called an ambulance ..... they sorted me out, but it did get me thinking.

Now I do this with my own children - they know my mobile (DD knew it at 2y6m), they know how to dial 999 and our address and they know that if mummy or daddy wont wake up, they can call 999 ..... (DD has known how to do this since about 3y6m).

What can I do with the mindees ???? Well I think teaching them my mobile / address is confusing - I do encourage parents to teach their own children ths so I suppose the only other thing is to practice what to do if I won't wake up ....

Lots of 999 calls coming up :panic::panic::panic:

The Juggler
27-02-2012, 09:43 PM
ooh you lot are hardcore - loocyloo - stuck it back together and carried on ???? HOW?? I'd be a mess :panic::panic::laughing::laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
27-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Ouch! Hope you are feeling better now.

flowerpots
28-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Hope your thumb is ok now and not too sore. xxxx

mumof4
28-02-2012, 07:16 AM
I fainted in front of a parent last year, one moment we were chatting the next flat out on the floor. I felt such a plonker! Luckily it was a good friend parent whom Ive know for years. The only thing I could think of is that I was on new medication for my siatica and it messed with my body, its not happened again, thank goodness :)

catminder
28-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Hope your thumbs feeling better. :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
28-02-2012, 08:07 AM
should always sit down when something like that happens, easy to faint over something really small....hope you are ok :)

nikki thomson
28-02-2012, 08:17 AM
My husband is always telling me off for turning the lawnmower over and removing stuck grass out if the blades while it's still plugged in, one if these days there gonna start spinning and take my hand off (apparently), lol. X

mr man
28-02-2012, 08:37 AM
i had this, but i was in agony and could even spk ( gall stones ). didnt know what it was at the time so very scary.
i had a peice of paper with al numbers on to ring parents - ( kids were a worried so i DD to get help off neighbour) by time ambulance came husband was back to hand children over to their correct parents. ( my businest day too ).

my emergency plan worked , however was adjusted slighty to ' if neighbour not home or dad not available immedialty' to two teachers ( from our school) 1 living opposite and 1 living 2 doors down to come over. pus my photo book of childrens pic with their mum dad and emergency number on - they ahve signed the back of this so they can sign for the children - matching signatures.

scary it is but it bets to e preapred - i was but i have stepped it up a bit more. with the waht ifs......

caz3007
28-02-2012, 09:34 AM
I hope you are ok today x

I am ok as long as I can ring my hubby as he is only 5 mins away and his work are extremely good, so he could just run out the door. He has all my parents numbers in his phone just in case x