PDA

View Full Version : Tuff Spot with no stand?

SarahJellybean
27-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Hiya I am just looking at the mixing trays on b and q website and obviously they are much much cheaper than getting a tuff spot with it's own stand. I'm think our kids tables are too small to hold it up though and I would worry about it getting tipped off. Does anyone use them on the floor and have the little ones just kneeling around it? My main worry is if they decide to sit straight in it, eg I would like to put jelly in for a swampy dinosaur land and I can just see them all sat covered in jelly. I have vivid memories of my less than one year old daughter crawling straight into a tuff spot full of paint when she was younger!

Twinkles
27-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I use a large plastic plant pot tray on a plastic table. Very cheap from the garden centre.
As for them getting covered in jelly etc I put their splashsuits on them if we're having very messy play.

SarahJellybean
27-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I was looking at plant trays but didn't see any without drainage holes.?
I thought about washing up bowls but would be less social to play individually. Obviously there are cat litter trays but I dont think I could get over the thought that it is a cat littler tray :panic:

Twinkles
27-02-2012, 05:39 PM
This is the sort of thing I have.
No idea about the size of this one but mine is big enough for 4-5 smallies to play happily.

http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Round_Plant_Saucers_-_Gun_Metal.html

jumping j
27-02-2012, 05:42 PM
I plan to get a tuff spot from b and q or amazon, they're even cheaper on there, and have it on the floor, if we're doing really messy play i'll put 'painting' clothes on.
I have some very lo's and want messy play that they can easily access, they're not steady on their feet yet so things at a table are too high for them, I've tried big shallow storage boxes and the litter trays but even these have sides that are a bit high.
I like the idea that they can all sit around and play together.

miffy
27-02-2012, 05:51 PM
I use my tuf spot on the floor with things like pasta, shredded paper, loads of different material, ball from the ball pit, duplo etc. The little ones love to get in it to play.

Outdoors I put compost, shells, water, sand and water, shaving foam, cereals and trucks/diggers in it.

I have a stand but I use it just as much without the stand.

Miffy xx

cherry
27-02-2012, 05:51 PM
You can buy plastic trays which grow bags should go in. I got mine from the garden centre

http://www.podington.co.uk/growbag-tray.html

We use these on the floor and the children really enjoy playing in them

loocyloo
27-02-2012, 05:55 PM
we just get messy or wet ;) my LO often sit IN the trays to play !!!

i have the B&Q mixing tray on the floor.

just be careful as to how and where it is stored as i think mine had been put on its side in storage, and possibly got warm as it has warped and is too wobbly to have inside! its gone outside to join the other one. now got to buy a new one, but am looking at a potting up tray from the garden centre as a touch smaller and will easier to store!

i also use kitten litter trays and seed trays for activities ( but the seed trays do have holes in :D ) great for making sand patterns with though :rolleyes:

QualityCare
27-02-2012, 06:38 PM
l use ours on the floor have tried it on the table but it doesn't work as the children lean onto it and it slides off

MaryMary
27-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I got my tuff spot with my Tesco vouchers last year :clapping: They will be doing them again soon, so it might be worth registering. I would like to save up enough for the stand this year.

Unfortunately, it arrived late August, so hasn't has much use yet. I have used it indoors with play dough, but they did get in with it. Smaller trays can be tipped easier. A child can't tip the large ones.

karensmart4
27-02-2012, 09:32 PM
l use ours on the floor have tried it on the table but it doesn't work as the children lean onto it and it slides off

You can get a roll of stuff (can't remember whats it's called) to put under your tray to stop it slipping, I bought mine from the pound shop.

It's the stuff that you can put on the dashboard of your car, it grips the surface oh I wish I could remember the name, this will bug me now :rolleyes:

Well anyway, it works :laughing: