PDA

View Full Version : Advice from all please

GemSar
27-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Hi there,
we have posted before but not about this.
I have decided to speak up and not bury my head in the sand and we are beginning to struggle.

We are a team of two RCM. I am a medical nurse also. My partner is a nursery nurse and has 11 years experience
We are based at home with a play room, garden, local park.

We were registered in 2011 and have just gt satisfactory with good points.

The trouble is, we are really struggling to get any interest. We have website, business cards and are members on an advertising site for childminders that gets many views, but we just cant seem to get anyone calling.
Our prices are for the same as it would be for only one of us and we have very good paper work and would like to think that we are both very welcoming and friendly.
We have nothing but compliments from the parents we have got but at the moment we don't have enough.

I just dont know how ther CM's advertise, get the word about etc.

Im not sure if we are doing something wrong or if it just takes time.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, on advertising or anything that you think may help us.

The children here develop well and are happy but I just dont know what we are doing wrong :(
Thanks

rosebud
27-02-2012, 01:12 PM
It does take time and I think most will agree that most work comes through word of mouth, it takes time to build a good reputation. Often the best way to get work is just by attending toddler groups, let parents see how good you are with the children and if you get chatting mention that you are a childminder. When mums want to go back to work and are looking for childcare they will think of you first, carry business cards with you so you can give them out if parents mention they are looking for childcare.

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Have you put cards up in shops, doctors? Been the the school and given your cards out? Gone to groups, libraries and bragged about yourselves? Given your cards to the parents you have already and get them to shout about you?

As it is getting a bit warmer and nearing easter what about hosting an event and inviting some people to see your setting, really show off your good bits and get people talking about you.

Do you network with other minders? I have 3 minders who I am quite close to and if either one of us get a query we cannot accomodate we pass on their numbers and recommend them. I prefer to work WITH other cm's not against them, see them as colleagues not "competition"

GemSar
27-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Have you put cards up in shops, doctors? Been the the school and given your cards out? Gone to groups, libraries and bragged about yourselves? Given your cards to the parents you have already and get them to shout about you?

As it is getting a bit warmer and nearing easter what about hosting an event and inviting some people to see your setting, really show off your good bits and get people talking about you.

Do you network with other minders? I have 3 minders who I am quite close to and if either one of us get a query we cannot accomodate we pass on their numbers and recommend them. I prefer to work WITH other cm's not against them, see them as colleagues not "competition"

How do we go about networking with CM's? Thanks x

ChocolateChip
27-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I think a lot of areas are just quiet at the moment hun, I have only had two of my 3 spaces filled for almost a year now, and unless something else comes up it will be like that for the forseeable future. Don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's just the way it is.
All I can advise is get out there, go to local toddler groups, wear t-shirts etc with your logo on, perhaps go to larger businesses (factories, supermarkets etc,) and ask if you can put flyers in their staff room.
Hope it picks up soon :thumbsup:

GemSar
27-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I think a lot of areas are just quiet at the moment hun, I have only had two of my 3 spaces filled for almost a year now, and unless something else comes up it will be like that for the forseeable future. Don't think you are doing anything wrong, it's just the way it is.
All I can advise is get out there, go to local toddler groups, wear t-shirts etc with your logo on, perhaps go to larger businesses (factories, supermarkets etc,) and ask if you can put flyers in their staff room.
Hope it picks up soon :thumbsup:

Thankyou, I will pull my finger out and start shouting about us :idea:

Zumba-mum
27-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I only registered in Oct 11 and found it very quiet to start.The first 3parents went with someone else and i thought i'd never get any but now have 4minde's I would defo recommend going to childminding groups, do you have a sure start centre.Meeting childminders will then help with finding work if there full then they can pass your number on. All the best

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 01:33 PM
How do we go about networking with CM's? Thanks x

Get out there and get talking to people, you will find who is a CM and who isnt. I have plans which incorperate visiting these CM and them coming to me. We have done fire station visits, trips to the park, parties etc. Easter is coming up I cant wait.

It started that my MIL was a CM who minded my kids, then I needed to use someone else for a few weeks and a friend recommended her minder (this was about 8 week before before I got my own mindees). That was 2 in the bag, I got to know another CM on my course. Also a mum up the school who I helped out once told me about her minder who collects her son, I kept an eye out for a lady collecting him and went up to her and introduced myself.

There is also another lady who goes to my sons school and she is very obviously a minder I have been looking out for her for a few weeks now and next week will introduce myself.

Perhaps keep an eye out for people who you think are minders and maybe organise a trip and invite them along... our fire station trip was a huge hit

Toothfairy
27-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Hope these ideas help :thumbsup:

* posters/flyers - Dr's, HV, Local shops, Libraries, coffee shops, soft play areas etc
* Leaflet drop through doors in your local area.
* Advertising on your car, clothes, home window etc
* Hand business cards out at the park, coffee shops, toddler groups, soft play centres etc
* Create a website
* Advertise on here, netmums, mumsnet, childcare.co.uk, FIS etc
* Join your local Childminding group and get to know other CM's
* Advertise your vacancies with the vacancy co-ordinator of your local CM group.
* Ask to be put in your local school portfolio/ sure start portfolio
* Have a stall at local school fete's - hand out flyers, have balloons with your advertising on etc
* NCT sales - ask to put flyers in their goodie bags
* Get your local free paper/magazine to write an article about you & your business - link it to something like comic relief/ sport aid etc.
* Yellow pages
* Speak to your local DO and ask her to pass your name onto any parents wanting a CM
* New housing estates - ask to have a business card/advert placed in their welcome pack in the show home
* If you have any large businesses/companies in your area, speak to HR and ask to advertise on their notice boards.

Hope that helps and that you have some interest soon :thumbsup:

natsplat
27-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Re. networking with other CMs, our area has regular CM only drop-ins at the Children's Centres and also if you are lucky enough that your local authority still offers training, you can meet lots of lovely, likeminded CMs there too.

Mrs Pootle
27-02-2012, 04:45 PM
My business has all come from word of mouth. I started volunteering at the local playgroup whilst I was doing my childminder training and this got my name and face known with quite a large group of local mums, and childminders. Once registered I kept up with the playgroup and either took mindees (when I had them) or just kept in contact with people I knew from there, especially the childminders. My first mindee came from a contact childminder who couldn't accomodate the hours for this child and so referred them to me.
I have also found talking to people on the school playground at drop off and pick up good for business too.
Good luck, it can take time. :)

GemSar
27-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Hope these ideas help :thumbsup:

* posters/flyers - Dr's, HV, Local shops, Libraries, coffee shops, soft play areas etc
* Leaflet drop through doors in your local area.
* Advertising on your car, clothes, home window etc
* Hand business cards out at the park, coffee shops, toddler groups, soft play centres etc
* Create a website
* Advertise on here, netmums, mumsnet, childcare.co.uk, FIS etc
* Join your local Childminding group and get to know other CM's
* Advertise your vacancies with the vacancy co-ordinator of your local CM group.
* Ask to be put in your local school portfolio/ sure start portfolio
* Have a stall at local school fete's - hand out flyers, have balloons with your advertising on etc
* NCT sales - ask to put flyers in their goodie bags
* Get your local free paper/magazine to write an article about you & your business - link it to something like comic relief/ sport aid etc.
* Yellow pages
* Speak to your local DO and ask her to pass your name onto any parents wanting a CM
* New housing estates - ask to have a business card/advert placed in their welcome pack in the show home
* If you have any large businesses/companies in your area, speak to HR and ask to advertise on their notice boards.

Hope that helps and that you have some interest soon :thumbsup:

Thankyou

We have a website and have done the car sign and ads on sites but didnt think of some of these ideas. Thanks so much :clapping:

sarah707
27-02-2012, 07:17 PM
You might find some more ideas on this thread...

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4171&highlight=advertising

Good luck! :D