PDA

View Full Version : 3 yr old can open stafety gate!!!

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 07:30 AM
I was in the kitchen washing the dishes after breakfast when I hear footseps behind me... Thinking it was DS (6) bringing his bowl out I didn't think anything of it, but when I felt a tug at my legs and it was 18 month old mindee I was a little shocked... I told older DS he needs to make sure he keeps the gate closed and he was like "What? I didnt do anything, I havent been near the gate"

It was DS(3) who opened it :eek: I closed the gate and asked him who opened it and he went "Me!" all proud of himself, then opened it to show me!

What on earth am I going to do now? I have a gate on my stairs which is really hard, even I struggle, but the only other gate is the living room room door (which is the one DS has mastered) which leads to the hall, downstairs loo, kitchen and obviously the front door (which is always locked)

mama2three
27-02-2012, 07:34 AM
turn it round. I know it sounds odd but he willl take a while to master it again the opposite way around and with his other hand!
And when he works it out he's old enough to be told he isnt allowed to open it when mindees are here as its needed to keep everyone safe!

miffy
27-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Explain to him why he mustn't open the gate (he's a big boy helping you look after the smaller ones etc) and take the keys out of the door, just in case.

Miffy xx

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Key is on a hook next the door, quite high up so he can't reach that.

Like the idea of turning it round... will confuse me as well, never mind DS lol

onceinabluemoon
27-02-2012, 07:52 AM
It's pretty normal for a 3 year old to be able to open a safety gate, but obviously scary when they do.

I like the turn the gate around idea, I teach mine not to open it because now they are big and helping me. Gives them a sense of responsibility etc. I keep my front door locked anyway so if they do it they can't escape (bolt on top of door).

Helen Dempster
27-02-2012, 08:11 AM
my 2 and a half year old mindee has been doing this. I hadn't thought about turning it around, mine's quite difficult to get off, but I might try that (or ask DH to!) Like yours, he was very pleased with himself! LOL

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 08:15 AM
my 2 and a half year old mindee has been doing this. I hadn't thought about turning it around, mine's quite difficult to get off, but I might try that (or ask DH to!) Like yours, he was very pleased with himself! LOL

I have to admit I did feel rather proud of him, my little man growing up, also the face he pulled when he did it was just adorable lol.

We never had gates when my eldest was young he knew not to go upstairs and was really really good with it but when his brother was born and was toddling about we had moved and needed a gate but older DS was clean so he had to know how to open it to use the toilet, it took about 2 days for him to get the hang of it he was 4 and I had to really show him... Makes me wonder how long DS has been trying lol

watgem
27-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I have child/pet gates because we have dogs, they are much taller so the LOs can't reach, I think they were about £35 though

EmmaReed84
27-02-2012, 09:37 AM
turn it round. I know it sounds odd but he willl take a while to master it again the opposite way around and with his other hand!
And when he works it out he's old enough to be told he isnt allowed to open it when mindees are here as its needed to keep everyone safe!

I liked this idea but didnt want to faff about changing the gate over to find he could still do it, so I shut him out the living room and he strolled up the gate ready to use his new found talent... and he couldn't :clapping: his face was a picture lol... now he is at playschool I have turned the gate round!! Thank you x

CH1957
27-02-2012, 09:52 AM
We had a home made stair gate with a hook and eye bolt as my stairs were a strange shape when my son was little. At 13 months I watched him undo the hook and eye climb up a few steps and then turn round to do the hook up again!! He was very pleased with himself too! Didnt bother with the gate after that.:)

AliceK
27-02-2012, 09:53 AM
One of my mindees nearly 3 can open all my safety gates and has been able to for quite a while now. I only now have one on my kitchen door as I've RA'd that thats all I need to use right now but she knows that if it is shut she is not allowed to open it unless I say she can and if she does she always closes it behind her. I think by the time they get to 3 it's pretty usual that they learn how to open them. I have got a really hard one stored away which you need to squeeze and then lift it slightly to open it and it's really heavy and I'm not sure a 3yr old would be able to open that one. I think it's a case of teaching the children that they are not allowed to open them unless you say it's ok.

xxxx

appleblossom
27-02-2012, 12:50 PM
My gates (at bottom of stairs and at the kitchen doorway) are the Mothercare beechwood ones which screw to the wall and stay on all the time. The open/close knobs screw and tighten up after it is closed. If I do it really tight none of the children can open it except my 15 yo DS. Even my 24 yo DD can't open it unless she tries really hard.:D