PDA

View Full Version : Older Son of School must attend hospital...

Faye.w
26-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Hi

I am new to the forum and Childminding and could really do with some advice.

I am currently looking after a little boy of 1 and this will be my 4th week of him being with me.

I'm having a bit of a nightmare and I'm not looking forward as much as I should to the 7:30am drop off in the morning. Not only has my oven decided to go on the blink and my food shop been delayed until 11am tomorrow but my 9 year old son has come hobbling home from a weekend at his Dads advising me that they have been in casualty for 5 hrs today from a football accident and that I must take him to physio tomorrow at the hospital.
What do I do ? Do I advise the mum that I will have to attend a appointment and take mindee with me,arrange to see someone after 6 and drag my son to messy play and the park with us ? He can barley walk and so will have to have the day home anyway, as he has to hop everywhere and the hospital haven't given him any crutches.

Oh what to do, could someone with a little more experience please help me out x x :blush:

Cammie Doodle
26-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I would tell Parent about appointment tomorrow and offer to take Mindee with you, as for messy play and park I would give it a miss don't think 1 yr old would notice ,he may enjoy your son' s company

blue bear
26-02-2012, 11:26 PM
Take mindee with you as well as a bag of resources and food in case you are kept waiting, it's all part of family life and mindee will probably enjoy the visit.

QualityCare
27-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I agree take mindee with you along with things to amuse him, they might give your son crutches after his physio if he needs them.

rickysmiths
27-02-2012, 09:13 AM
I agree as well take the mindee with you. They will be in a buggy so contained and take food drinks and some resources to keep them amused. The mindee might sleep as well.

Stay at home I don't think a 1 year old will miss messy play or the park. Do some messy play at home your son might enjoy joining in!

This is real life and this is one of the advantages of childminding you can do things with your children.

catminder
27-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Don't worry, these things happen. Hope it all goes ok with your son :thumbsup:

LChurch
27-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Don't worry these things happen and this is normal life! I generally take kids to hospital appointments for my kids etc, as long as you explain to mum can't see a problem! As long as you can concentrate if you need to be then it shouldn't be a problem. My son had to have an assessment last week and they did request that I didn't bring children with me, mum was able to swap her day off thankfully so I was able to concentrate etc. But she did have about a month's notice. I was then able to arrange subsequent appointments on my day off. As we have all said it is part of normal family life and if you are worried about it fitting into EYFS don't worry! It is KUW, a better experience of hospitals than nursery kids would get!!! Sorry that was not meant as a dig at nurseries but a dig at EYFS!!! ;)

JCrakers
27-02-2012, 12:13 PM
Agree with everyone, tell parents you have an appointment and will take littel one with you. He might enjoy a trip out to the hospital seeing the equipment and even an ambulance :D Or he may sleep as he is so little.

As for the soft paly etc. Just stay in, theres nothing wrong wih changing your plans to suit your family :D

Hope all goes well