PDA

View Full Version : Gardening activities....

Cassie
26-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm not green fingered at all and would like to plant bulbs/seeds with mindees.Have no idea what to buy :blush: Can anyone advise when to start planting & easy things to grow please....

miss mopple
26-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Im not green fingered either but last year we planted radishes, courgettes,lettuces, potatoes and tomatoes and had lots of success. Our courgettes were fantastic!

Have a go, its pretty easy once you read the instructions on the packet and so satisfying.

Ive moved now and have a huge garden and we are really looking forward to trying lots this year :clapping:

blue bear
26-02-2012, 11:31 PM
Potatoes are really easy, got mine online from Thompson and Morgan last year, came with full instructions.

We grew tomatoes year before in a grow bag, very easy too. Just follow instructions on packet.

mrs robbie williams
27-02-2012, 06:37 AM
we did pumpkins last year just seeds from a packet they were very successful and were ready intime for halloween :thumbsup: this year we have potatoes chitting and corn on the cob on the windowsill waiting to shoot. The only problem i have this is year are our 2 rabbits which run free in the farden during the day and eat everything so dh is going to put window boxes up next weekend and get some netting for veggie plot xx
also did sunflowers last year and they were a success - mindees had one each and measured them and the tallest got a sticker - great photos for lj

LChurch
27-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Can't wait til I get my mindees out in the garden to do some planting, we will be growing salad things in pots. I have clay soil so it is very difficult to grow lots of stuff, although my onios were great last year. WE are having a new patio area so I am looking forward to getting pots to grow salad things in them rather than on the clay soil veg beds which are ahrd work!

The Juggler
27-02-2012, 02:07 PM
easy veg

cress, spring onions, radishes - for quick growers)
herbs, lettuces and salady stuff for medium term growing time.

potatoes for longer growing times and fun picking#

alos just dig for wiggly worms and caterpillars
plant some flowers and water them :thumbsup:

funemnx
27-02-2012, 02:45 PM
I've just got some small pots and compost. We'll be starting off simple with something they can grow quickly so got some mustard seeds - fingers crossed, I don't do gardening either! :)

rosebud
27-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Garden centres will have vegetable seedlings in a few weeks. I usually just buy a few of everything and see what grows. Strawberries seem to like my garden I have loads.

jumping j
27-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm known in my family for being able to kill a cactus!!!:blush:
But last year we grew sunflowers, over 6Ft, tomatoes, strawberries, sweetpeas that climbed up the wall and pumpkins that we carved for halloween.
This year I found some rectangle plastic planters, 2 for £1, so each child has their own planter to put some seeds in, we've got a little vegetable patch and a 'wild' flower area for insects and of course the sunflowers again, we're having a competition to see who's gets the tallest, even my dad's got one.:laughing:
Hopefully I'll manage to keep them alive again this year!!!

mushpea
27-02-2012, 07:42 PM
how about letting the children paint their own terracota pot then put the seeds of their choice it them, could be veg /salad seeds then they can eat what they grow, they could draw or colour in pictures of what they choose and you could laminate them, put them on lolly sticks then put them in the pot,, prehaps take photos of the plant as it grows for a plant diary, find colouring pages of plants growing so they can see and colour in the stages of the growing plant all which could go in a scrap book, if you did sunflowers aswell you could take a picture of them beside it each week so they can see how tall and how quickly it grows.

Jiorjiina
27-02-2012, 09:29 PM
The big seed companies have their own ranges of seeds especially for children:

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetables/Fun+to+Grow+-+Seeds+for+Kids/list.htm

http://search.thompson-morgan.com/search?w=rhs+garden+explorers+children%27s+seeds

There is also the Royal Horticultural Society Garden Explorers site, which has lots of things to do on it:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/children