PDA

View Full Version : Deflated don't know what I have they want anymore.perhaps jump through hoops

bestmum2have
26-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I was inspected last Thursday, only got an Satisfactory, I'm a little deflated.
It was my first EYFS inspection and I was hoping for good.
I feel the inspector didn't look at everything I do with the children I feel she didn't get a true reflection.
I left her to read through my folders and I went to play.
After 2 hours she told me the grade and I needed to improve.
I have been minding for 30 years, there's not much I don't know about children.
When she had gone, I realised my sef and planning folders hadn't been touched and she kept asking me silly questions like do I have any mark making materials, Which is just pathetic, she never even went into my playroom/conservatory.
I complained over my last inspection if I complain again they will think I'm some whinging complaining freak.:(

PixiePetal
26-02-2012, 04:54 PM
What can I say :( inconsistent again.

My inspector looked through everything and stayed with me watching what we were doing most of the time only sitting with her laptop alone when I went to do lunch. She chatted with the children, sat on the floor with us and did not feel like a stranger. She got a true reflection of me and how I work and my understanding (unlike the previous inspector who was like yours :angry:)

Did you do a SEf? I did not and think for me it worked better as she had to ask questions of me more which I was ready to answer.

If you are not happy, question it. When you get the report read it carefully and pick out the points to bring up

sarah707
26-02-2012, 04:57 PM
If you are not happy with the report when it comes or if there are factual inaccuracies then you should always complain!

Hugs xx

bestmum2have
26-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I told her on the phone that I had done my SEF, when she phoned to introduce herself. She said she would over it when she came.
Then on Thursday I got it out for her and she said thats good I will look in a minute.
You do expect them to look at every thing you've written, if they don't what's the point?
She never went outside to see where the children play or anything.
She was from Prospects and had come up from the south to help out. I think they must have been short staffed up north.
I felt she was more used to inspecting nurseries, I don't know if that had anything to do with anything.
She looked at my notice board with pictures and masks we had done for chinese new year on. Then later asked me if we celebrated different cultures...

The Juggler
26-02-2012, 05:12 PM
i would def. complain hon. if she is basing her grade on half of your paperwork, nothing in your SEF and no observations of you withthe children what IS she basing the grade on :panic:

flowerpots
26-02-2012, 06:07 PM
I would complain too, what have you got to lose by complaining. xxx

catminder
26-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I would also be inclined to complain, especially if you SEF was not properly read through.

Tatjana
26-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Doesn't sound right to me, how could she get a true reflection of your setting if she didn't read through your paperwork or spend time with you and your mindees.

My inspector said she had everything done but was just waiting to hear one of my mindees speaking (she'd only just arrived), she was that thorough with her inspection!!

bestmum2have
26-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Thankyou ladies for your support, I feel cheated. The trouble is I'm not too good at blowing my own trumpet, that's why I wrote everything down. Not certain what I will do, think I will wait until I receive the report and read how bad it sounds.

mindingmummy08
27-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Even if they were to think you were moany for complaining again, once a new inspector came and read all your paperwork and gave you a better, more thorough report they would know you weren't moany.

Everyone has the right to a fair grading and you didn't do all that work for no reason, you can't sit for 3 years wondering what you'd have got had an inspector read everything you have.

Call them up and explain half of your paperwork which you believe to be mandatory ie planning wasn't even touched and you want a new inspection.

Even if the grade stays the same how do you know what areas to improve if they have missed half your work? Explain it to Ofsted that way rather than being unhappy with your satisfactory.

Hope its all sorted for you soon

Newbie1!
27-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Aww just wanting to send you my sympathies. I had exactly the same! She was from prospects and openly told me she was a nursery inspector. She was very concerned with some, what I would consider smaller things, and took no time at all to look through the LJ's, planning, SEF (although only part complete I must admit). The main thing I took from the whole thing was that she thought I should have a lock on my airing cupboard door.

She was basically quite ridiculous with some of the things she was coming out with - I write my weekly plan on a whiteboard and she felt that this was inappropriate as bits could get rubbed off and parents may not be able to see it properly :angry:

When the report came I chose not to complain but only after advice on here about "factual" inaccuracies. The things she put were factually correct (no lock on airing cupboard and that I used whiteboard markers for planning!!) but they seemed totally irrelevant to the bigger picture, which she didnt really comment on at all.

I think the main thing for you, especially considering how long you have been doing it for, is that you know what you can and cant do, please dont let silly little things that inspectors do or dont say get you down - you must be doing something right to still be working after this time!! So a massive well done for that!! xxx

The Juggler
27-02-2012, 02:05 PM
oh and to make you feel even better, although inspectors at prospects have to have EY experience and a degree, they also only get trained for 2 days :panic::panic: then they go out doing test inspections with another inspector then they are let loose on us:panic:

bestmum2have
28-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I can't beleive what you said. 2 days training and I have been minding 30 years what a total sham.... Well I have sent my SEF to her to read, I don't know if it will do any good but its gone. I asked her to read it like she promised!

miffy
28-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I can't beleive what you said. 2 days training and I have been minding 30 years what a total sham.... Well I have sent my SEF to her to read, I don't know if it will do any good but its gone. I asked her to read it like she promised!

Good for you - I hope she takes note!

When you get your report you have 24 hours to tell Ofsted of anything that isn't factually correct. You might also be asked to fill in a questionnaire about the inspection process including how the inspector conducted the inspection.

Miffy xx