PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - new to this and have an enquiry

greenfields
25-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I plan on charging £4 an hour, inclusive of meals and snacks. This is the average in the area. My plan was to charge for a minimum of 5 hours. I can't afford to have a space filled for 1-2hours and then potentially not be able to have another child for the rest of the day (because the hours/ratio won't suit/be allowed).... anyway...

I've been contacted by a parent. I'm assuming she hasn't seen my website with the above info of fees and hours. She wants her 8yr old son picked up from school, which is 4.6miles away/13mins drive each way, until 5.45pm. She also wants school holiday care.

Do I even consider this? I expect to be registered and ready to work March/April and have no mindees lined up yet. But also don't want to regret taking a mindee on which isn't worth my while. After school hours wanted doesn't even make 3hours... then + 4.6miles of petrol and an evening meal.

What to do?! Advice much appreciated. :thumbsup: I realise this could just be an enquiry but I still have to provide a yes/no and fees to the parent.
Thank you!

jadavi
25-02-2012, 09:38 PM
I charge the same and have a schoolie for those hours and charge 16 plus petrol making 21 a day. You may find she wants you all day in the holidays - mine does.
However what is making me consider giving notice is I have been offered 2 more little ones in the day and we can't all get in the car as only got 4 seats I can use. I've decided the only school that will work is a walking distance one...
Good luck

muffins
25-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I like you charge £4hr BUT I charge £5 for sch wrap around care as its for shorter hrs! I charge a min of 3hrs after sch & 1hr before!

I dont think you can expect a 5hr min fee from a sch age child, it would be better to set a session time/fee.

As for the sch being so far away, its really up to whether your happy with that or not. I did a sch run which was 10mins away which I was ok with but the whole round trip could be done in 1/2hr, not sure I'd want a longer one than that! & of course there is petrol costs, which might be better if you think you couls get more mindees from that sch but if not could work out too costly. You dont want to do a sch run to a sch & not be able to get more kids from there either, are there not any other minders more local?

I didn't mind the extra travel/petrol but then it was for family!

PixiePetal
25-02-2012, 09:44 PM
I would have a set amount for the after school time - not an hourly rate. A figure you would be happy to earn and to be worthwhile considering petrol if you decide to do it and they choose you too.

As the child is out of EYFS it helps with numbers but if you don't already go to collect children, would you want to go out for a small amount of money if you then have EYFS children to put in the car and take to collect the 8yr old? would you be happy to do it? Also 8yr old would take a space in the car so you have to think of that as far as filling places.

Does this age child fit with your own children if you have any?

So many questions :rolleyes: I would meet the parents/child and don't make a quick decision - always say you will get back to them and decide when they are not face to face. I used to find myself saying yes to things I didn't really want to do as I was on the spot :o You live and learn

Of course this could be a good start and making connections with a school could bring forth more mindees:thumbsup:

greenfields
25-02-2012, 11:04 PM
Thanks, I'm taking all comments on board and having a good think about this. What keeps popping into my mind is that I have a school only a few mins drive away and it would make sense to focus on this school as it's local to me. I won't be able to focus on my local school and go in the other direction for 13mins+ to collect this child. Taking this child on now may stop me being able to focus on my local area, and I assumed this would be where my work would come from - my immediate area. The only issue is that there is a creche next door to my local school which does an afterschool club for several schools in the area @ £5.50 minus fuel costs. Confused. Will continue to think it over...