PDA

View Full Version : Do your own children go 'Hyper' when a parent turns up?

Fraggle1
25-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Hiya!

As the title says I'm just wondering if your own children go abit hyper when a parent comes to collect their child?
I would say to mine, right, when ***** turns up I need to speak with them so if you could just sit quietly and read book/watch TV "ok mummy". Next minute parent turns up and mine start running around making plane noises, coming right over to us whislt I'm trying to talk - I say stop running, they say 'no' and carry on!!!! They seem to misbehave and go abit wild just when the parents pick up! Most of the time they are so well behaved. I was talking to another CM friend and she said the exact thing happens with her children so she has started putting them in another room in time for the pickup.
Unfort. my front door leads straight into my living room, but from next week I am thinking that either DH takes the dog for a walk and takes them with him or I set them up in the dining room on the cbeebies website! Was so stressed last week, was just awful and really got to me! lol xx

AliceK
25-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Oh tell me about it :rolleyes:. It drives me mad. They are same at drop off. They have to be in the hallway with us when I'm talking to a parent and either want to talk to me about something completely un-necesaary or start acting up and being silly. Makes me feel like a really bad parent sometimes :(

xxxxx

Twinkle-Toes
25-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Yes, Yes, YES!!!!!!

As soon as the door goes the entire family are squashed into the kitchen?!?

My kids also do random annoying things, which i SWEAR they NEVER do normally!!

My eldest sat on the kitchen side eating some left over pasta bake with her hands one night.....It's like an alternate universe!

kellib
25-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Yep same here, my son will always wait until that exact minute to want to tell me something that apparently cannot wait!

Or he'll start getting the mindees hyper which makes it harder for parents to get them ready and really all I want them to do is just leave by this point! :laughing:

I don't think the parents mind too much though as they have children around the same age as my son so understand completely!

singingcactus
25-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Gonna be different and say no :laughing:. He likes to say hi, then I tell him to go get busy, so he does.

tash 1
25-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Kids hey who'd av um.Tashx

The Juggler
25-02-2012, 06:54 PM
an absolute flamin' nightmare - still. I started when they were 2 and 5 and now at nearly 10 and 12 they are still the same :panic::panic::panic: they suddenly need to ask a question about something life or death or try to cuddle a baby who's in the arms of their mum they've not seen all day resulting in making said baby scream, or start chasign the toddlers around the room or furniture :angry:

i don't think they'll ever get the message:rolleyes::panic:

mushpea
25-02-2012, 06:54 PM
not anymore but when they were little they used to and it lost me a contract because the parent got so fed up with me telling my two off and couldnt cope with all the noise at pick up time so she gave notice and went elsewhere and funnily enought this was the turning point for my two as they were both then old enough to realise the consequences of their actions and after that they calmed down. I always explain to them that my job pays for all their nice things so if I dont work they wont be able to go horse riding, swiming, holidays etc and this seems to help them understand the value of me working.

caz3007
25-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I had a new family come to visit and my 8 year old was lying on the table when we were chatting,.....he has never done this before, so why then....lol

Fraggle1
25-02-2012, 07:25 PM
It makes me feel so much better hearing all your stories ladies :) It's such a nightmare isn't it? My eldest isn't as bad (he's 8), but my youngest at 3 is an absolute pain! lol I've given them the talk of not having nice things and that parents may take mindee's away to another childminder...we'll have to see how it goes. I really told my youngest off one day and so the next I said...now remember what happened yesterday. Parent turns up and so he decides to do a balancing act on the back of the settee!!!! Seriously couldn't believe it!!!!! So, lock them in the dining room or DH take them out lol x

flowerpots
25-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Oh tell me about it :rolleyes:. It drives me mad. They are same at drop off. They have to be in the hallway with us when I'm talking to a parent and either want to talk to me about something completely un-necesaary or start acting up and being silly. Makes me feel like a really bad parent sometimes :(

xxxxx

This^^^^it drives me insane!!:panic:

jane5
25-02-2012, 08:04 PM
My 3 year old does this or become very very rude and if a parent says hello she will scream NNNOOO, very embarrassing :blush:

Tatjana
25-02-2012, 08:05 PM
It has improved alot now they're older and I really thought we'd got somewhere until last night when my 2 eldest decided to behave like aliens. Poor parent was trying to ask me how I thought her lo was doing developement wise, I couldn't even hear what she said at first through the noise :blush: ended up (trying) to laugh it off but I was fuming inside and when they left I really had a go at my 2 :angry:.

mr man
25-02-2012, 10:51 PM
mine did this and still try too, but after a week of sending them upstairs , as soon as parents ring bell - they stopped. they still try it but a look seems to solve it almost immediatly.
however its another story with other mindees - im tackling that now ( i cant send them upsatirs too as thats not reg) but have had to raise voice to even hear parent.
then again parents hanging round chatting is another issue and more opportunity for kids to play up
- im like here you are coats on ready - SEE YA. :laughing:

but yer its annoying, its like a switch has jsut been pressed. :panic:

Mollymop
25-02-2012, 11:49 PM
My dd is like this, from the start of my minding career we (me and hubby) have told her stay out the way etc etc when the parents come but still 4 years later she still has to come along (nearly 8 yrs old now) and show off, get in the way, butt in, tap parent on the arm until she asks her what she wants.
Once she even picked up mindee who was only a year old in front of his mum, and caried him round the room, this is a big no no in my house and my dd knows this and knows she is forbid, but was showing off. I felt so embarrassed!!!
You are not alone.:panic:

Velleity
26-02-2012, 07:45 AM
My five year old son finds it amusing to say things like 'Your baby cried all day long!', even though she hasn't and then I have to try and reassure Mum that was not the case at all. Or from my two year old: 'Your baby did a stinky POOOO-Poo!!'. Not so much hyper but a bit rude and saying awkward things.

stargazer1
26-02-2012, 07:54 AM
My five year old son finds it amusing to say things like 'Your baby cried all day long!', even though she hasn't and then I have to try and reassure Mum that was not the case at all. Or from my two year old: 'Your baby did a stinky POOOO-Poo!!'. Not so much hyper but a bit rude and saying awkward things.

Haha, I'm pre-registered but look after my friends little one and pick her other child up from school 2 days a week. When the whole situation was fairly new, my DD decided to say to the mumy when she came to pick up "**** has been reallllly naughty today". I had had to tell the child once not to climb on the table but that was it, so completely exaggerated by DD. You could see me cringe, mum panic, me try to reassure mum, and DD oblivious. And since then she seems to come out with other little gems every now and again, despite me explaining that when mummy is up and running, this is what is going to pay for our abroad holiday once a year etc. I guess its just our little ones way of making sure they don't get forgotten. When the mums come to collect their LOs it involves (I am guessing for the most part!!) attention and cuddles. Ours probably want a piece of the action!! x

Roseolivia
26-02-2012, 08:01 AM
It's not only my 2 who do this but also my dog. Lat week she decided to have a poo right next to parent on the hallway rug:eek: She has never done this before and i was mortified.

Bluebell
26-02-2012, 08:55 AM
My 2 boys are not too bad at drop-off and pick up but when prospective parents come they can play up and also when Mrs O comes they play up too!

They are soooo good most of the time and are not exactly naughty when people are here but over-excited and as you say Fraggle 'hyper'. When I ask them to calm down or stop doing what they are doing they ignore me which makes me look like I have no control over them at all!

I had a big chat with my 6 year old about Mrs O coming last week and best behaviour and no being silly and he said yes mummy and then he said what if I forget mummy? and I said I will tell you to stop. anyway Mrs O comes and he starts being a robot with a (childs) plastic chair on his head. She says 'be careful' and I say 'stop' but he ignores both of us. (Groan) I ask her when she comes back to do my inspection can she make sure its not in the holidays?!

loocyloo
26-02-2012, 09:42 AM
It's not only my 2 who do this but also my dog. Lat week she decided to have a poo right next to parent on the hallway rug:eek: She has never done this before and i was mortified.

oh sorry sarah, that made me laugh!

my 2 can be dreadful :rolleyes:

handeme
26-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah this happens in my house too, drives me bonkers.
Last week my nearly two year old decided to climb on the kitchen table and show his belly to mindees mum, she thought this was cute but when he said 'come' at pointed at her and then when she walked towards her he pulled her top put practicality above her head showing everything off, she was very embarrassed. He would never do this. My 5 year old isn't much better! C x

Fraggle1
26-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Seriously nearly choked laughing then, sorry lol Having said that when a parent comes to the door my mini schnauzer looks like she's on a trampoline at the kitchen door trying to get over the safety gate - not as bad as poo'ing but it's annoying lol x