PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone not done SEF before inspection?

charlieamber
25-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Just wondering as I have my inspection monday week and am struggling to complete my SEF LOL

Have downloaded it but it all seems double dutch to me, cant find the right words to complete it!!!!!!

What will happen is I havent finished it ( actually, not really started it LOL)

Roseolivia
25-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I didn't do mine. I did a strengths and weakness chart and what i wanted to improve in my setting. I was graded outstanding. It does depend on what inspector you get, mine is very for childminders and understands we are a home environment working on our own.

BB2kids
25-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Hiya, you should try and do as much as you can so the inspector can read it whilst doing your inspection - it could give you a shorter inspection if the inspector knows all about your setting (as written on the SEF). Good luck with your inspection, relax and be yourself.:)
Sharon

charlieamber
25-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I didn't do mine. I did a strengths and weakness chart and what i wanted to improve in my setting. I was graded outstanding. It does depend on what inspector you get, mine is very for childminders and understands we are a home environment working on our own.

Well done on your outstanding:) I like the idea of a chart ( can always manage making charts, just find it hard to write the right words LOL

Mrs O actually asked me when she phoned had I done SEF yet, so I really think she is expecting it:panic:

charlieamber
25-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Hiya, you should try and do as much as you can so the inspector can read it whilst doing your inspection - it could give you a shorter inspection if the inspector knows all about your setting (as written on the SEF). Good luck with your inspection, relax and be yourself.:)
Sharon

I will try and be myself LOL, Been minding since I was 18 ( and now 45:blush:) but stopped doing minding just over 3 years ago when the EYFS came in, so all this is new to me!!!

chez
25-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Also didnt have one and got an outstanding and a 1 1/2 hr inspection.

what I had tho was an action plan showing what i was changing and why

sarah707
25-02-2012, 04:50 PM
The SEF is not compulsory - but some form of self reflection is expected.

Some inspectors like to see the SEF before they come out to you so they already have an idea about your provision - I know mine did with us.

Don't get tangled up with the wording - just look at each question and think how you can write things that will help you to sell yourself!

Good luck :D

miffy
25-02-2012, 05:16 PM
If you want to do your self or at least make a start on it then I'd recommend you get Sarah's ebook, it will make things a lot, lot easier for you. It won't write your self for you but it will give you,lots of ideas and it's written in plain English which is more than the self guidance!

Good luck with your inspection

Miffy XC

jane5
26-02-2012, 10:23 AM
I started mine but only answered about 3 questions, when my inspector asked for it I showed her what I had done and told her I was working long hours and hadnt managed to do any more and she was fine with this.

I had a list of things I had reflected on and changed and any plans for the future and she said this was evidence of self evaluation. She was only with me for an hour and a half and I got a good for my 1st inspection

I cant believe I worried so much about the sef and in the end I didnt need it.

Good luck :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
26-02-2012, 11:41 AM
It may surprise some but I have never done the Sef. Now schools are not longer required to do one it does make me wonder. It is a huge amount of work. I personally will not be doing one in the foreseeable future either.

However I do demonstrate how I self reflect in many other ways.

When I was inspected last Sept, the first inspection with the Sef the inspector wasn't at all bothered. She could see how I reflect on my practice all the time and I was graded good with several areas of Outstanding.

The only thing I would say is that my inspection may have taken longer but hard to tell because she had a trainee with her so that may have made it a bit longer too.

betty boop
26-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Mine was not finished when inspector rang to say she was coming she said that it was fine and not to rush it just print off what I had so far so she could have a look at that. My inspection took around 2 hours and I got a good. that was in November and still not finished it.

Jelly Baby
27-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Hmm another thing i need to update as such..i do mine on paper not the computer is that ok?
Thanks