PDA

View Full Version : fee thingy for storing photos etc on comp

lulubelle
25-02-2012, 12:53 PM
i know i prob should of done it ages ago (naughty me) but i know ofsted are due and i want to make sure i have everything in place. is there a link for where i have to pay to store photos etc on the comp? Hope this actually makes sense i cant remember what its called!

sarah707
25-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Information Commissioners Office - www.ico.gov.uk

I rang and asked for the info to be sent to me - the website is a bit complicated :o

Hth :D

miffy
25-02-2012, 05:24 PM
There's some more information here

http://www.*************/childminders/your_business/policies_and_procedures/data_protection.aspx

Miffy xx

Bluebell
25-02-2012, 05:27 PM
If you phone them they ask what you do and then pre-fill in most of the form for you so all you've got to do is check it and send it back (and pay the money)
Is this something Ofsted would check?

miffy
25-02-2012, 05:33 PM
If you phone them they ask what you do and then pre-fill in most of the form for you so all you've got to do is check it and send it back (and pay the money)
Is this something Ofsted would check?

Depends on the inspector - I know some cm's who have been asked for it and others who haven't.

Miffy xx

jadavi
25-02-2012, 05:38 PM
We had a bit of a discussion on this point a few months ago and altho I have written the cheque I havent sent it yet as no one from the organisation can justify to me what they do with the £44. My dev officer actually applauded this when we talked about it in my RAG and said to keep her informed as they can never find out either.
She told me one other CM had tried to find out how - if at all - we are protected and got no where. All we are told is - its for admin... it sounds a bit like gullivers travels where np one knows why but you have to do it...different from road tax etc where you can see why its there...

I also have got Ofsted in three weeks and am worried about this but have spent so much I want to know why i am spending it at least...

any other thoughts on this weird area?

The Juggler
25-02-2012, 06:57 PM
We had a bit of a discussion on this point a few months ago and altho I have written the cheque I havent sent it yet as no one from the organisation can justify to me what they do with the £44. My dev officer actually applauded this when we talked about it in my RAG and said to keep her informed as they can never find out either.
She told me one other CM had tried to find out how - if at all - we are protected and got no where. All we are told is - its for admin... it sounds a bit like gullivers travels where np one knows why but you have to do it...different from road tax etc where you can see why its there...

I also have got Ofsted in three weeks and am worried about this but have spent so much I want to know why i am spending it at least...

any other thoughts on this weird area?

i don't think ofsted are that bothered tbh hon. However, I'd say be careful because if there ever WAS any breach of confidentiality and say a parent complained, then you could be fined for letting that happen but also fined for not having registered as a data controller in first place. I'd rather pay the money - it'sonly £35 though - at least mine was

jadavi
25-02-2012, 07:03 PM
But that's my point really, the money doesn't offer us any protection at all. They refuse to be drawn on what happens if we need help and they refuse to say what they do with the money..... if any of us got into trouble for breaching data confidentiality - being on that list will not help one iota as far as I can see...

The Juggler
25-02-2012, 07:14 PM
But that's my point really, the money doesn't offer us any protection at all. They refuse to be drawn on what happens if we need help and they refuse to say what they do with the money..... if any of us got into trouble for breaching data confidentiality - being on that list will not help one iota as far as I can see...

no, no protection for us at all :angry: I don't agree with it either. All we are doing is signing up to say we will adhere to the legislation contained in the Data Protection Act (similar to registering with ofsted and saying that you agree to follow EYFS I guess).

However, it IS a legal requirement if for all those who store data to register as a controlller, for this you have to register and pay a fee (same as paying your ofsted registration really). So unfortunately, you don't have a leg to stand on if something happened with regard to a breach. You could/would be fined for not being registered :(

for the record it think its unfair but for the sake of £35 I don't want to chance it

jadavi
25-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Yes I see your point..but usually you get something for what you are signing up dfor. Ofsted support us and maintain safe standards etc...

Tatjana
25-02-2012, 08:24 PM
Neither can I see how it protects anything tbh. How is anyone going to access things from your computer anyway, it's not like we're putting this information on the internet.

I believe it's a money making scheme.

jadavi
26-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Do they issue a certificate or anything to demonstrate you have paid?

The Juggler
26-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Do they issue a certificate or anything to demonstrate you have paid?

yes they do hon :)

lulubelle
26-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys will add that to my list of jobs for tomorrow!
Do you get a cert or anything when you register as a food business with your local council? I sent off forms before I started last yr and just realized I never heard back! I am trying to get organised, honestly!