PDA

View Full Version : Advice on D & V bug please

acorns
24-02-2012, 05:35 PM
I have a little 9mo who was away for 4 days the week before half term with a tummy bug. He came back this week (TT only contract) but has been mostly irritable which I put down to settling back in. Mum had said (has seen gp) that tummy bug has left him intolerant to lactose but he can have a small amount of milk with meals, I followed her instructions & apart from him being unhappy he wasn't sick or the 'other' all week. But yesterday he was quite sick after lunch, phoned Mum who thought it was the milk from lunch & I said he could stay as long as he wasn't sick any more which he wasn't. Today though he was very sick after lunch (no milk) & had two watery nappies, I asked Mum to collect and take to GP. She has but GP says he's just got a 'sensitive' tummy & is still recovering from the bug he had 2 wks ago. I have a 48hr exclusion anyway so Monday should be ok, but if he's unwell over the weekend I was going to invoke the 48hr exclusion eventhough GP says it's not a tummy bug. Do you think I am being reasonable?

dette
24-02-2012, 06:08 PM
i had a child with the same thing recently.it did take him a while to recover.the 48 hr rule is to prevent spread of infection so if this is not infection then wouldnt really apply.However how do you feel about having sick to clean up.It is above and beyond what you are payed for and does have hygene implications rather than infection spreading,I think i would just play it by ear and see how many times LO is sick and how fed up of it i got

catminder
26-02-2012, 03:22 PM
If his nappies are watery as well I would stick to the 48 hour rule to be on the safe side. Even if he does have a sensitive tummy that doesn't mean he couldn't get D&V.

The Juggler
26-02-2012, 03:28 PM
when my two were little their lactose intolerance after a sickness bug lasted weeks and weeks. I'd ask mum if it's ok to keep him off all dairy whilst with you:thumbsup:

acorns
27-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks, I have suggested he stays off all dairy, but he has milk am before coming to me. On Friday he had no dairy with me at all but was still had d&V in the afternoon. He is still off today & IMO (& 'just a feeling') something more is wrong. I think it's more than a lactose intolerance, he slept most of the day on Saturday and didn't eat much yesterday, so mum kept him at home & I have said he can come when he is eating & drinking normally and is well. Will speak to mum again this evening & hope she has been back to GP today and doesn't leave until they agree to investigate further & prescribe a dairy free formula. Poor babe is so little for his age he hasn't got any spare weight to lose!