PDA

View Full Version : Best way to broach concerns about speech with parents

nipper
24-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I mind a three year old whose speech is very unclear and who has trouble pronouncing a whole host of sounds. Other children just look at me to translate. I want to broach the subject with parents but was wondering if there is a 'best' way to go about it. I'm also concerned that on the child medical form parents wrote a '?' next to health visitor. I suspect they have not seen/may not see one...should I be concerned? Dad usually collects but I think mum might be able to shed some more light on things...HELP:panic:

sarah707
24-02-2012, 04:18 PM
I would try speaking to parents and ask them if they have noticed anything at home... maybe they understand him so don't think it's an issue.

Does he have regular colds? He might have bunged up ears and need a hearing test.

Hth :D

nipper
24-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for that Sarah. Only been having 'P' since January 2x a week but yes, lots of illnesses including flu, including one bout of hospitalisation for urinary infection. 'P' is youngest of three as well, so might just be as a result of having older siblings speak on their behalf. The whole family always seem to be ill with something (sorry, that sounds awful but you know what I mean) They seem to be a very 'busy' family as well, always rushing around doing something or fetching or taking the kids somewhere

As I speak, the child has just had a coughing fit and the others have all reacted the same uuugh!:rolleyes:

Bluebell
24-02-2012, 09:50 PM
whatever the reason - ears or older siblings - if he is unclear at 3 it should be referred. My 4 year old has speech problems and I so wish we hadn't put of getting him help.
If its something minor then it may be resolved very quickly but if he is on a waiting list for a long time then it might not get resolved before he starts school!
Perhaps just say ' we find he can be a little hard to understand sometimes' and go from there, just see what the reaction is.
We were concerned about our sons speech for a really long time and didn't push it. I would have loved someone to have said to me they had worries too so I would have pursued it earlier. We had the opposite - oh I'm sure he'll be fine, and oh he has an older sibling talk for him and its not that he can't talk its that he won't talk! All not very helpful at all.
Perhaps recommend a trip to the health visitor to 'check in' so to speak. I don't know the name of my health visitor either - they all changed and every time i go up there its someone new! Good luck x

The Juggler
25-02-2012, 01:47 PM
def. advise parents to get his hearing checked but to specifically ask for a glue ear test as this is often missed. It is my personal bugbear that glue ear is not tested for as a matter of routine at the age of 2 :panic: so many children get missed and it can affect their schooling for years.

nessynoodle
25-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I had the same thing - difference was that parent had made a few comments that made me think she may be worried too, making it easier to approach her. I actually organised a meeting about something different - learning journey and general development, and I then simply said, 'I have also collected a little bit of information for you as I know you have a few concerns over childs speech.' She was quite defensive almost putting up a barrier which was difficult, but I gave her info which could have helped at least. I was VERY positive and said how well child was doing, and that it wasn't a problem but we just need to support child so doesnt get frustrated. It coul be hearing but it may not be....many children just need to have the chance to communicate more and be spoken to slowly and often. Busy poorly parents - they might not be giving the child enough one on one attention, its easy to pass through a whole day without hardly speaking to your child, or at least in a child friendly manner, and some parents even find this difficult and cannot relate to children.

Do some research yourself - print off the speech development stages (if you ca't find them I might have a copy) and be sure that you stay proffessional and positive, the more you know the more right you have to point it out if you see what I mean. Suggest things the parents can do during play, to talk about what they are doing wen cooking tea, what they see out on a walk, keep background noise to a minimum, sing lots of songs and make different noises. Perhaps start by saying something like, I have noticed that son is getting frustrated when other children can't understand and you are worried he will be excluded....or something more subtle like during circle time you noticed he struggled to say what he wanted to.......

It's difficult as parents will always be sensitive, but you have to do what is best for the child. You could also begin by telling them things that you have been doing and how it has helped his speech...e.g. last week we did some singing and signing and he really enjoyed it and I found it gave him a lot of confidence in trying new words and sounds...

Good luck!

The Juggler
25-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I had the same thing - difference was that parent had made a few comments that made me think she may be worried too, making it easier to approach her. I actually organised a meeting about something different - learning journey and general development, and I then simply said, 'I have also collected a little bit of information for you as I know you have a few concerns over childs speech.' She was quite defensive almost putting up a barrier which was difficult, but I gave her info which could have helped at least. I was VERY positive and said how well child was doing, and that it wasn't a problem but we just need to support child so doesnt get frustrated. It coul be hearing but it may not be....many children just need to have the chance to communicate more and be spoken to slowly and often. Busy poorly parents - they might not be giving the child enough one on one attention, its easy to pass through a whole day without hardly speaking to your child, or at least in a child friendly manner, and some parents even find this difficult and cannot relate to children.

Do some research yourself - print off the speech development stages (if you ca't find them I might have a copy) and be sure that you stay proffessional and positive, the more you know the more right you have to point it out if you see what I mean. Suggest things the parents can do during play, to talk about what they are doing wen cooking tea, what they see out on a walk, keep background noise to a minimum, sing lots of songs and make different noises. Perhaps start by saying something like, I have noticed that son is getting frustrated when other children can't understand and you are worried he will be excluded....or something more subtle like during circle time you noticed he struggled to say what he wanted to.......

It's difficult as parents will always be sensitive, but you have to do what is best for the child. You could also begin by telling them things that you have been doing and how it has helped his speech...e.g. last week we did some singing and signing and he really enjoyed it and I found it gave him a lot of confidence in trying new words and sounds...

Good luck!

good advice. have a look at the ICAN website too :thumbsup:

nipper
26-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks so much everyone for all your advice.