PDA

View Full Version : Mindee really upset

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:12 PM
He's been crying and winging for about an hour now, keeps asking for Daddy cuddles so I've offered cuddles and kept reassuring him his Dad will come later like always.

He's tired, tried to go to sleep but then he woke himself up and can't seem to settle. He doesn't want cuddles from me and I don't know what to do

I'm half considering phoning his Dad up to collect him, as this has been going on for an hour and there's nothing I've done that can comfort him. He feels warm but then he won't take his jumper off and with him screaming as well.

Ideas?

EmmaReed84
24-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Awww poor little mite, so sad when kids get like this x

handeme
24-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Aww is he a new mindee or do you think he could be feeling unwell x

onceinabluemoon
24-02-2012, 12:30 PM
First thing I would do is make him take that jumper off and try to cool him down, don't let him dictate he won't do it. Take a core temp reading if you can (do you have an ear thermometer?). Phone dad and tell him what is going on a and ask him how child was overnight/this morning. Go from there.

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah new, 4 weeks he's been with me ish.

I've just taken his temperature and it was 35.1 - oh and when he's moaning he keeps going "owwww"

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks I took his jumper off about 5 minutes ago.

I've taken a forehead strip, under the tongue termometer, a hospital strip thermometer that goes under his arm and an ear one

The temps ranged from 35.0 to 35.2

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Might help if parents would answer their phones too!

onceinabluemoon
24-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks I took his jumper off about 5 minutes ago.

I've taken a forehead strip, under the tongue termometer, a hospital strip thermometer that goes under his arm and an ear one

The temps ranged from 35.0 to 35.2

Ok so that is probably a normal temp for this little one. (normal ranges from between 35.5 and 36.5 but some people's normals are above or below)

What happens if you pop him in a buggy and rock him singing to him? This works on one of mine when they get in a state and don't want to be held. If you don't feel right singing how about popping him in buggy in front of TV and rocking him just to get him to calm down or a taking him out for a walk/into garden. He may just have gotten himself into such a state and doesn't know how to calm himself down. Not knowing how old he is makes it hard to offer advice but is the above worth trying do you think?

Is he old enough to know /ow' is a hurt word? My 18 month old says ow if a feather touches him just because he's learned to say it. Obviously if you think LO is in pain contact dad. Hope it eases soon, its hard on both of you. xx

uf353432
24-02-2012, 12:37 PM
ask him if he can point to where his owwie is?

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:43 PM
He is 2.5 years.

Dad just phoned back he said (after I said A wouldn't eat lunch ) "That's odd, but then he didn't want his breakfast this morning and last night he didn't want his dinner and just wanted to go straight to bed"

Yeah.. cheers for telling me !

jayjay1963
24-02-2012, 12:47 PM
He might be constipated, is he potty trained?

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 12:57 PM
In the midst.

I have mentioned to parents that since he was taken out of nappies at mine at the beginning of this week he hasn't pooped once.

His mum just phoned to say Dad is collecting him now, they will take him to the doctors then let me know if he's gonna be here monday

handeme
24-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Poor little man, sounds as if he is not very well.

One of my mindees was like this two weeks ago. We had gone for a walk round the nature reserve and he just wanted to be in the pram which is unheard of. Then he didn't want snack which is even more strange. He just kept crying out. I told mum and said I would keep an eye on him. As soon as we got home he had the biggest nappy ever and then was ok.

C x

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Dad just picked him up and I suggested maybe he could be constipated then Dad let me know he keeps touching his bum at home and hasn't pooped there. I said some pure orange juice may help a bit as well :)

It's oh so quiet in my house now, my DD is fast asleep :O

EmmaReed84
24-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Dad just picked him up and I suggested maybe he could be constipated then Dad let me know he keeps touching his bum at home and hasn't pooped there. I said some pure orange juice may help a bit as well :)

It's oh so quiet in my house now, my DD is fast asleep :O

Awww poor little thing. My MIL is a CM and minds a little girls who gets terrible constipation. The other day she was gripping the sofa and screaming, that night her Dad had to give her medication and an enema :(

NicoleW
24-02-2012, 02:19 PM
What's an enema?

Tink
24-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I had a little boy really unwell on Monday, Mum said at pick up he has been really unwell all weekend and hasn't done a poo for over a week! I suggested they visit the GP which they did and he was given medicine, Monday evening he went for a poo and was back to his normal self on Tuesday.

These kids need a manual !!:laughing:

Demonjill
24-02-2012, 02:32 PM
What's an enema?

A tube is inserted into the bottom with watery solution to flush out everything

They used to give them in days gone by when you went into labour :eek:

onceinabluemoon
24-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Glad you got things sorted, poor little thing, no wonder he was in pain if he hasn't poo'd for a week. Been wondering how you were getting all day (mindees were both asleep when I was on earlier but then they woke up)

pinkbutterfly
25-02-2012, 09:54 AM
My 8yo had a severe constipation recently. She screamed the house down. Had it been hurting on the other side of her belly I would have been ringing the ambulance. I rung my local surgery and they advised me to put a hot water bottle on that side and it stopped within a few minutes. She went to the bathroom pretty quickly too.