PDA

View Full Version : Struggling!

CLB
24-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Hi there. I'm new to this forum but would appreciate any help anyone can offer please?! I've been minding for 6years now and feel quite bored with the job. I need some motivation to help me get going again! Does anyone have any advice for me?? x
Thanks

sarah707
24-02-2012, 08:47 AM
When I feel a bit like that I have a paperwork re-vamp or re-plan my themed activities to bring some life into the place.

I look at blogs from other childminders and nurseries for inspiration and ideas as well.

I also chat to the older children and ask them what they like best / don't like about being here as I find their honesty helps keep me focussed.

Hth :D

green4lynn
24-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Hi, what is it you are bored with? Is it lack of adult company, the same old toys and routine? I know it can get a bit tedious at times! I find having a good clear out of toys and a few trips to the charity shops to replenish supplies is a good boredom buster. It gives the kids a boost of enthusiasm, as well as helping you feel pro-active. After all a happy childminder makes for happy children!
This time of year is also a bit depressing! Roll on summer and being able to go outside without having to put on half a dozen layers!

Look at all the groups and facilities around where you live and see if you can try somewhere new. That works for me, a change is as good as a rest.

Do you have other minders you meet up with, sometimes it can be good to share things with others but sometimes they can make you feel worse! Where do you live? There might be someone on here who is near to you who you could meet up with!

Our local childrens centre has a toy library which is great for borrowing bigger stuff, as well as more expensive things! I've got a light box and fibre optic cables at the moment, both of which are worth a fortune but cost me 50p for 4 weeks!

Good luck with getting motivated, send me a message if you want a chat!:)

Lynn x

rickysmiths
24-02-2012, 08:57 AM
I can't recommend Sarahs e books more for kick starting the imagination again.

I do a similar thing. I have found myself in a slump since my Ofsted Inspection last Sept! It was postponed last March and it took till Sept to get to me.

I have since Christmas started to pull my socks up!

I have looked at all my paperwork and checked and tweaked it. I am about to look at my planning again and will be looking at some of Sarah's books.

The other thing I am doing is really looking at all my resources and being ruthless!

VeggieSausage
24-02-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm finding I am a bit bored too, I think the weather is depressing and I can't wait for warmer weather and sitting in the park, picnics etc. I agree with the others I am re-looking at all my systems and making an effort with activities. Also I am bored with the groups I have been going to so am doing other things including mornings at home doing messy play for a change.

Also got another minder coming over for the morning, helps to have some company and a laugh!

Angela234
24-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Good advice above

To extend your resources;

Put some packs together like "hungry caterpillar" dinosaurs, little red riding hood, owl babies. themes

Look for printouts to print and laminate to retell stories, pictures for sizing,order. Numbers, make lotto games

Anything the children enjoy