PDA

View Full Version : Would you give notice? / tricky notice letter help?

leeloo1
23-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I've been minding a LO for almost 2 years, but his behaviour has becoming increasingly difficult. The parents have decided this is because LO needs more structure/more kids around, so said last week they'd be looking at nurseries (pick-ups this week were done by other people so I haven't been able to find out if there's any progress). We also agreed a behaviour plan last week, but the LO's behaviour this week has got worse/more challenging.

I feel that I want to 'firm up' their decision to look at nurseries and remove their LO sooner rather than later - then I feel conflicted as LO can be lovely (as are parents), but the behaviour when he's not being lovely is starting to make me question whether I can keep him (and other mindees) safe and the bad days are starting to outweigh the good. :(

So, would you give notice straightaway, or wait and see when they give notice?

And if you would give notice then any help on a notice letter would be appreciated.

madmamma
23-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Just a quick draft off the top of my head...

Further to previous conversations regarding behaviour having observed x for the last x (period of time), it is becoming increasingly obvious that x would be better served by attending/ would better suit a more structured environment as you suggested - if needed you could bullet point what they said

In view of this and the impact current behaviour is having on the setting/the younger children/the older children/me/next door's cat (sorry, it's late :blush:)
it is with regret I am giving notice of x weeks and the usual stuff you would give here

It has been a pleasure/experiance/nightmare (sorry, couldn't resist) having x and I wish you all well for the future

Alternatively - due to unforseen circumstances and if they ask just say it's a family matter and you'd prefer not to talk about it

leeloo1
23-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks so much for that! :) Sadly 'nightmare' just about fits the bill at the moment! :)

[oh the guilt about thinking such a thing about an innocent child, but I swear if he refuses to walk OR go in the buggy one more time I won't be answerable for the consequences!]

sarah707
24-02-2012, 07:59 AM
It can be very hard when children have troubled emotions which make them react in strong ways to normal routine things.

The most important things are to keep calm and consistent, work with parents (who must be communicative and on-side) and document everything.

Parents must be asked to sign what you have discussed and documented to confirm their understanding of the child's behaviour at your house and to confirm they are working with you at home.

You should also give them a copy of your behaviour policy stating exactly how you are supporting the child and they should sign to confirm receipt.

A friend some time ago received a complaint for not managing behaviour effectively after she gave notice for ongoing issues and parents took offence. As she didn't have the steps she had taken to manage the child and work with parents documented Ofsted actioned her.

Hth :D

leeloo1
24-02-2012, 08:51 AM
OMG Sarah, thanks for that advice, but eeek - what a horribly scary thought! It makes me feel vulnerable as most of my documentation of it all is in the Daily Diary - which the parents take home, or discussed via text (parents work long hours so when they collect there's no time to chat) which are deleted, so if they did decide to be difficult then I could be in trouble. :(

I thought I was good on paperwork/behaviour too, but apparently not so much. Should I be documenting every mini-strop then? Surely not? In hindsight I should have documented the 'discussions' with parents though.

Before the last month or so there were just lots of small episodes of challenging behaviour - nothing 'big' and nothing that wouldn't have seemed petty when written down. Then there was then a gradual worsening and it was only with hindsight after a couple of weeks that a pattern was emerging. And then things got a whole lot worse since then. :(

VeggieSausage
24-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Gosh thats an interesting point regarding paperwork Sarah.....I think that draft letter sounds v good....save yourself the hassle and give notice I say .....sorry been one of those weeks!

funemnx
24-02-2012, 01:16 PM
I've been minding a LO for almost 2 years, but his behaviour has becoming increasingly difficult. The parents have decided this is because LO needs more structure/more kids around, so said last week they'd be looking at nurseries (pick-ups this week were done by other people so I haven't been able to find out if there's any progress). We also agreed a behaviour plan last week, but the LO's behaviour this week has got worse/more challenging.

I feel that I want to 'firm up' their decision to look at nurseries and remove their LO sooner rather than later - then I feel conflicted as LO can be lovely (as are parents), but the behaviour when he's not being lovely is starting to make me question whether I can keep him (and other mindees) safe and the bad days are starting to outweigh the good. :(

So, would you give notice straightaway, or wait and see when they give notice?

And if you would give notice then any help on a notice letter would be appreciated.

You don't really have to put a reason in the letter, maybe just say you are giving notice due to family reasons but you loved having him and wish them all the best?

leeloo1
24-02-2012, 02:36 PM
You don't really have to put a reason in the letter, maybe just say you are giving notice due to family reasons but you loved having him and wish them all the best?

Problem is parents are friends of friends (never ever work for friends!), so they'd know I had/hadn't replaced him. :(

Its been a day without him and I still found myself stressing/dwelling/talking about him. :( Shows he does need to go, but I need to try and do it tactfully if possible.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice and support - its very much appreciated. :)

sarah707
24-02-2012, 02:40 PM
You don't need to document every strop no... but you need to show in your paperwork (not necessarily in the LJ as that's a celebration of achievement) HOW you are meeting the child's needs - so a lot of focus on PSED and working with parents to support the child.

Good practice advice is to work with parents for a period of time - say a month and make it clear after a meeting and discussion of tactics to be used at home and in the provision that if things do not significantly improve you will be giving notice.

Document this meeting and get parents to sign. Hth xx