PDA

View Full Version : different car seat sizes?

Bluebell
23-02-2012, 08:33 PM
This might be a bit of a wierd question but do car seats vary widely in size? I have a fiesta and I have 3 x 3 point seatbelts in back. However I have to be careful what combination of car seats are in the back because some of them seem wider than others on the base and not only do I need them to sit flat but I need to be able to access the clip-in release bit of the buckle. Anyone got any suggestions? My answer is of course to get a bigger car but at the moment I can't afford to!

deb thompson
23-02-2012, 08:50 PM
They do vary a fair bit we couldn't even get the britax first class in our car as a rear facing seat! the problem I have with my ford focus is the length of seatbelt, ours are really short so we cant get the most popular mamas and papas car seat in either (can't remember name but the seatbelt threads through the front of the seat) so if you do get a bigger car check seatbelt length, car is only a year old so was really miffed when we struggled to get our little rear facing baby seat in....supposed to be family cars! x

muffins
23-02-2012, 09:11 PM
Yes they do vary alot in size, widths! I think your really going to struggle getting 3 in the back of a fiesta:panic:

I think to be sure of a good fit & making sure the seats fit nicely together you'll need to visit mothercare (or similer) to try a few out!

I wouldn't hold my hopes up though if I was you! Sorry to sound negative:(

rosebud
23-02-2012, 09:56 PM
I managed 3 in the back of a Chevrolet Tacuma which isn't very wide but the middle one could only be a booster seat (high back used with adult seatbelt) I couldn't use one with a 5 point harness because these were all wider. I couldn't get to the seatbelt buckle either once a child was in the seat so i had to have it strapped in and then the 4 year old used to wriggle under the belt and then I pulled it all tight. Definitely visit Mothercare or somewhere for advice.

muffins
23-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I managed 3 in the back of a Chevrolet Tacuma which isn't very wide but the middle one could only be a booster seat (high back used with adult seatbelt) I couldn't use one with a 5 point harness because these were all wider. I couldn't get to the seatbelt buckle either once a child was in the seat so i had to have it strapped in and then the 4 year old used to wriggle under the belt and then I pulled it all tight. Definitely visit Mothercare or somewhere for advice.

Forgive me for pointing this out but surely thats very dangerous:panic: In an emergency no one would have managed to get her out!

rosebud
23-02-2012, 10:23 PM
There was enough space to undo the seatbelt (as only pressing a button) but not to do it up (as fiddling about trying to fit the buckle into the clip) so she could be released in an emergency.

Bluebell
24-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I can get 2 x 9mo-4yr seats in plus either a booster seat or a high back booster. But I can't get in 2 highback boosters and a 9mo-4year seat in. The high back boosters must be slightly wider due to being for a an older child? I can get them in but need to be able to make sure they are flush against the seat and also that I can release the seat belt - which as muffins pointed out would be really dangerous if I couldn't do it!! Haven't needed a baby seat for under 9mo yet so will have to wait and see.
From what age are you supposed to be able to put children in the front? I would not do it for a minded child but my eldest son has sat in the front on one day when I needed to take the car on the school run.

mama2three
24-02-2012, 08:23 AM
According to kiddicare the narrowest 5 point harness seat available is kiddicare.com Super Car Seat Tarmac .
I spand half my time with grazed knuckles from fastening 3 seats in the back of my scenic.

Bluebell
24-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Presumably a 7 seater car isn't a huge amount wider than a regular car is it? (obviously depending on the make? But its still 3 seats in the middle row?)

I am thinking I will have to get a new car so then I could have 2 in the middle row and then extra seats on the back row! Just love my car so much and am scared that if I buy a new car I will end up with a lemon (especially as I can't spend a huge amount!)

Mama2three - Thanks for the tip of kiddicares narrowest seat! Did you work that out by comparing dimensions or is that what they say?

blue bear
24-02-2012, 01:01 PM
In the back of my Renault Clio I have a Britax prince and two nania seats (full harness then converts to high back then booster) they fit in snug but safely and car is tiny IMO. I had the same seats in a Saxo too.