PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for empty celebrations tins

Zoomie
23-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Have have a few too many of these, fortunately all empty now, but I have been carrying the extra around with me for a bit :laughing::laughing:.

Anyway, what can I do with them. I did think about having a music making activity - they would be perfect drums, and I could have revenge on all my lovely parents.

Any other suggestions ??

miss mopple
23-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Decorate and turn into story making boxes. Put random objects in each week and get the kids to make up stories about whats inside

Use for storage of toys?

Cant think of anything else :blush:

Mouse
23-02-2012, 08:23 PM
We use them for drums, with wooden spoons as sticks.

Have to say, the plastic tins aren't quite as noisy as the metal ones!

We've also used them for the children to stack up - much easier for the little ones to build with. But them you still have to store them somewhere.

Or little gardens. Fill with soil, put in some little plants, stones for paths, lollystick fences etc. The plastic ones are better for that as they don't go rusty.

Twinkles
23-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I use one with the lid off for the children to put their water bottles in. It's kept on a low table so they can access their water but they're all in one place.

Not as exciting as the drum idea though :D

Bluebell
23-02-2012, 08:28 PM
love the little garden idea! I keep my music inside - jingle bells, tambourine, wooden spoons, maracas etc and then it comes in handy for a drum as well. I thought it was quite a good idea but now feel my imagination is inadequate in comparison to some really good suggestions!!
Really like the story box idea as well!

NicoleW
23-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Put a spoldge of paint in the middle of it and put different sized marbles in the tin and let them roll around to make marks in the paint :) For older children you could do something like ask them to control the tin so the marbles don't hit the edge of it etc

flowerpots
23-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I love the little garden idea, will have to try this. x

mumof4
23-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Funny i was wondering what to do with my tins too, I love the garden idea and the paint idea:)

Mouse
23-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Put a spoldge of paint in the middle of it and put different sized marbles in the tin and let them roll around to make marks in the paint :) For older children you could do something like ask them to control the tin so the marbles don't hit the edge of it etc

That works really well if you cut out a circle of paper & put it in the bottom of the tin. Makes a nice picture :thumbsup:

tash 1
23-02-2012, 11:03 PM
Wow great ideas never thought of activities only to store toys.I will be trying all these.Tashx :D

Demonjill
23-02-2012, 11:07 PM
I use one with the lid off for the children to put their water bottles in. It's kept on a low table so they can access their water but they're all in one place.

Not as exciting as the drum idea though :D

I like this idea:thumbsup:

rickysmiths
24-02-2012, 12:04 AM
How funny to see this thread!! Hubby and I have had a hard week and hit a plastic tin we had left from Christmas and finished it in two days. One of my mindees has been walking around with it on his head as a hat and a smaller one filled it with bricks today and then emptied it again, kept him amused for ages!

miffy
24-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Some great ideas thanks :thumbsup:

I covered the lid in sticky-backed mirror roll, then you can keep different things in the tin for them to explore on the mirror.

Miffy xx

dette
24-02-2012, 07:57 AM
Unfortunatly for me my tins are full(we got 6 as presents )coz dont give my kids many sweets as DS8 is diabetic so now i'll have to eat them all to do all these lovely things :)

miffy
24-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Unfortunatly for me my tins are full(we got 6 as presents )coz dont give my kids many sweets as DS8 is diabetic so now i'll have to eat them all to do all these lovely things :)

Pass them round Dette, I'm sure we could help you empty them :D

Miffy xx

VeggieSausage
24-02-2012, 09:28 AM
at school the other day I saw they had nailed tins to the fence and kids had been using them as outside musical instruments - if you can stand the noise :)

kindredspirits
24-02-2012, 10:19 AM
what great ideas - I didn't have any tins this year just passed as I was already the size of an elephant being heavily pregnant..... next year I think I am going to have to buy loads just to have the tins!!!! :idea:

Zoomie
24-02-2012, 11:17 AM
thank you for all the lovely ideas. they are great :)

Suebb1
24-02-2012, 11:40 AM
some great ideas, like the garden one and think I'll try the painting one next week

Chatterbox Childcare
24-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I keep mine for holding crayons/felt tips etc...

marian
24-02-2012, 11:57 AM
we made flapjacks yesterday and are using one as a cake storage tin!

Marian x

singingcactus
24-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Put them out in your mud/garden kitchen so the kids can bake their mud cakes, and smush their grass/leaf icing, and mix their messy custard in them. Then they can serve you your lunch on the lids as plates. And you can have your meals prepared for you :)

Mouse
24-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I keep mine for holding crayons/felt tips etc...

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't store things like that in round tins! I keep square biscuit tins to put crayons & pencils in, but could never put them in a round tin :blush::laughing:

babs
24-02-2012, 04:37 PM
making drums, put something inside each one makes them all sound different ie. fill with dried pasta, or fill with old clothes or rags, sand etc and seal. makes it more muffled.

dette
24-02-2012, 04:41 PM
making drums, put something inside each one makes them all sound different ie. fill with dried pasta, or fill with old clothes or rags, sand etc and seal. makes it more muffled.

mmm ....muffled sounds good:)

miffy
24-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I can't store things like that in round tins! I keep square biscuit tins to put crayons & pencils in, but could never put them in a round tin :blush::laughing:

No, not just you - I wouldn't put them in a round tin, they don't fit :laughing:

Miffy xx