PDA

View Full Version : Febrile seizures/convulsions

Mcgons
23-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Hi, does anyone look after a child who may be prone to suffer from these if they have a sudden high temp? If so do you have a care plan on how you would deal with it? Thanks for any advice.

flowerpots
23-02-2012, 10:23 AM
My little boy suffered from febrile convulsions when he was smaller. When he attended nursery, i gave them permission to administer calpol as soon as high temp came on and to phone me as soon as high temp came on and i would just collect him. :)

hth

Mouse
23-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I looked after a little girl years ago who, along with a number of health problems, was prone to high temperature & febrile convulsions.

If her temperature started to rise I would give her calpol, strip her down to her vest & nappy, wash her down with a cool flannel & have a fan blowing in the room (not directly on her). I would lie her down & monitor her until either her temperature came down, or I needed to phone her parents. I only phoned if her temperature was still high half an hour after she'd had calpol.
I had it written in her care plan.

Mcgons
23-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I looked after a little girl years ago who, along with a number of health problems, was prone to high temperature & febrile convulsions.

If her temperature started to rise I would give her calpol, strip her down to her vest & nappy, wash her down with a cool flannel & have a fan blowing in the room (not directly on her). I would lie her down & monitor her until either her temperature came down, or I needed to phone her parents. I only phoned if her temperature was still high half an hour after she'd had calpol.
I had it written in her care plan.

How often would you have taken her temperature and would you only take it if the child was known to be under the weather a bit such as with a cold? Did you write the care plan with parents or a health professional? Thanks

JCrakers
23-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Agree with mouse.
Calpol, strip of clothing, cool flannel and a fan to cool the room.

This was covered in first aid :D
My brother had one when he was two. They are quite frightening if you dont know what to do as my Mum didnt know what was happening.
But if you are prepared it will be fine hopefully.
I would write down what you are going ot do and get parents input at what time they want to be called etc. and get them to sign it

QualityCare
23-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I looked after a child who was prone to them, hospital recommended calpol and nurofen to be given alternately every 2hrs at the first signs of a high temp 38c and above I used to keep a bottle of both here of hers, in my medication book l had a permission slip for her saying on hosp consultants-name if known, advice X was to be given calpol and nurofen for temp above 38c mum signed this l then filled in medication record with temp, dose time and which medicine given and mum would sign on her return, mum fillled in a diary as well at home which she would bring daily (l also filled this in) so l knew what her temp was and what meds mum had given and when.
Temp was taken every 2hrs before meds given if dropped to below 38c and twice in a row calpol was given 4hrly until back to normal.

Mouse
23-02-2012, 10:56 AM
How often would you have taken her temperature and would you only take it if the child was known to be under the weather a bit such as with a cold? Did you write the care plan with parents or a health professional? Thanks

The care plan was written with parents, with input from health professionals. This mindee had quite a range of complex health issues, so I had visits from various different agencies & departments. The care plan covered lots of aspects such as feeding, physiotherapy, mental stimulation, help because of visual & hearing impairment.

I didn't routinely take her temperature, but I could tell when it was rising by how she was - change in temperament & colour of her skin. and just knowing. By getting to know her & how she was, I tended to have an instinct for when it was a normal temp rise or when it was more. I would take her temp (using an ear thermometer), note it down, give Calpol and follow the cooling down procedure. I'd take it again after 30mins and if it hadn't come down significantly I would phone her parents. Although she was prone to having a high temperature, it would normally begin to come down quite quickly once I'd stripped her off etc. To be honest, I could tell when it wasn't going to, even without waiting 30mins.

If her parents took her home, they would follow the same procedure with her. Sometimes it led to a convulsion, more often that not it wouldn't. It only happened with me twice and although I was aware it could happen & knew how to deal with it, I found it quite frightening & upsetting at the time.