PDA

View Full Version : Storing dressing up clothes

jane5
22-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Just wondered how every body stores their outfits.

I have a small playroom and every wall has bookcases' or storage units on.
The dressing up clothes are in a box at the moment but I feel if they were hung up out on show they may be used more.

What does everyone do with theirs?

SarahJellybean
22-02-2012, 04:53 PM
I got my dad to make one of these for me which we keep under the stairs:

http://ana-white.com/2010/11/craftiness-not-optional%E2%80%99s-dress-storage

jane5
22-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Wow love that Sarah :thumbsup:

Mouse
22-02-2012, 05:20 PM
What about this sort of coat stand?

http://www.gltc.co.uk/fcp/product/-/home%20&%20school%20essentials/Wooden-Coat-Stand/10000001173

I picked up a couple at a carboot sale & from the charity shop. £2 each & a bargain! They don't take up much space & are light so you can move them around as you need to. I have one with dressing up clothes on and one with craft aprons on. We often take them out into the garden with us :thumbsup:

loocyloo
22-02-2012, 05:23 PM
i used to keep them in a toy chest ... rarely got used, except as somewhere to put other stuff on top off!

then i tried a clothes rail ... ok, but still didn't get used much and never hung back up!

now i have a clothes stand and in fact, put away most of my dressing up clothes that were 'outfits'. i have lots of hats, bags and a selection of lengths of fabric. i have a few childrens waistcoats and a couple of 'tails'. these get played with lots, and get put away! i also have a bag of animal masks.

if anyone really wanted a monkey, a knight, a fairy etc, i would get the big box, but at the moment they are really enjoying what is there!

miffy
22-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Mine are on a clothes rail which the children love but the outfits never get hung back up and it's a real pain keep picking them up.

I might investigate the coat stand idea.

Miffy xx

JCrakers
22-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Mine are on a rail and since putting them on there they have been used everyday. Only downside is its me that has to tidy them all up :rolleyes:

Angela234
22-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I used to keep mine in a storage box they were hardly ever used

So i brought a cheap hanging rail in argos

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8752714/Trail/searchtext%3ECLOTHES+RAIL.htm

for under £10

clothes on rail storage box with scrafs/bags/shoes underneath

Nice and sturdy

muffins
22-02-2012, 09:00 PM
When I moved house last Nov my DD didn't need her wardrobe as she's now got fitted ones in her new room so I put it in the play room:D

catminder
26-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I don't have enough room for a hanging unit so mine are folded neatly in a box

blue bear
26-02-2012, 08:27 PM
I regularly move mine around so they get played with, sometimes on hanging rail sometimes in opening shelving and now in a box. I find by changing things around children discover stuff they haven't touched for ages.

candy cat
26-02-2012, 09:51 PM
wardrobe rail attached to wall .....cheap too:)

Helen Dempster
27-02-2012, 08:14 AM
mine are on a clothes rail in the shed, with a big plastic cover over the top so they don't go mouldy. The accessories are kept in a big plastic box also in the shed.

jane5
27-02-2012, 03:55 PM
Well after checking out all the good ideas from you lot and thinking how they would all work, I think I have come up with the perfect solution.

I have no space to add any more furniture so I have taken a shelf out of one of the bookcases and attached a rail to the shelf above and........ dada... hanging space for the dressing up clothes.

The lo's have already used the dressing up more and it cost me a grand total of less than £2 bargin.

Thanks for all the ideas :thumbsup: