PDA

View Full Version : I am too good, help me change...please

Sissy
22-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Today I got really angry in leaning that a local woman who calls herself a childminder (not registered with ofsted) is charging £2.50 more than me per hour, provides only 1 meal a day consisting on either fish finger or chicken nuggets + baked beans and claims all the benefits she is entitled to being her unemployed with one child and her husband on a low income....

I work my xx off, provide 3 varied healthy meals and snacks and I am subject to all the ofsted xx.

Anyways, it is nobody's fault what I charge, ut another mistake I am making is to charge only half of the fees when a child goes on holiday and I don't charge anything when I am having time off myself.
This needs to change. I am not going to increase my fess for now but I want to make an ammend on my contract to charge full fees when a child goes on holiday.

I want to ask the wondeful CMs here who have a lot more experience than me: please help me to word this out to parents and how to put it in writing as well..by no means I want to upset than but I think I have a fair point.....??

As you could sense, English is not my 1st language so I struggle a little bit with the right words when it comes to sensitive subjects.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

samkeddy
22-02-2012, 02:26 PM
i also only charge half for their holidays and nothing for mine and want to change this.

I cant decide what to do tho half for theirs and half for mine?

Or full for theirs and nothing for mine?

and also weather to change from full to half or none for sick? to seem more fair!!

Decisions!!!!

JCrakers
22-02-2012, 02:28 PM
didnt want to read and run but that would really, really get my back up :angry: How can someone charge to even have children when they are not registered.

And I wouldnt have guessed English isnt your first lang...its really good :D

Def agree to charging full pay for their hols...hope some1 can help with some wording

i charge full for their hols and sicknesses and none for mine. The parents are paying for the space not the child. If you dont charge for child sicknesses then parents will start to take advantage. Days off will turn into sickness etc.

Sissy
22-02-2012, 02:32 PM
i also only charge half for their holidays and nothing for mine and want to change this.

I cant decide what to do tho half for theirs and half for mine?

Or full for theirs and nothing for mine?

and also weather to change from full to half or none for sick? to seem more fair!!

Decisions!!!!

I already charge full when they are sick...if me or my daughter are sick I don't charge nothing, but it never happens, touch wood.

I would feel very embarassed to charge even half fee if I am not available to work so for me it has to be full fee when they are away...

and the woman I mentioned charges full fee when she or children are away....she has been working for the same family for 4 years now...my friend - her employer will terminate with her next month...I don't think she will be so lucky to find somebody else who can pay that for her tbh.

Sissy
22-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Up!
Up!
Up!
Up!
Am I being unreasonable wanting to charge full fee for children going on holidays and not chatge when I go on holidays even if it means amending contracts??

sillysausage
22-02-2012, 07:38 PM
If you know her name and address report her to ofsted, the benefits hotline and the inland revenue. Whilst Ofsted might just slap her wrist and tell her she needs to get registered the benefits people and IR should actually do something.

jane5
22-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I charge full fee for childrens holidays or sickness and no fee for mine.

I say if I am open and available to work then full fees apply, if I am not available to work there is no fee.......simples;)

singlewiththree
22-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Up!
Up!
Up!
Up!
Am I being unreasonable wanting to charge full fee for children going on holidays and not chatge when I go on holidays even if it means amending contracts??

I only charge when children take a holiday in term time, I don't charge in school holidays and I don't charge for my holidays either.

samkeddy
22-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Up!
Up!
Up!
Up!

This is what i decided also, im now charging full for their hols and sickness. I allready dont charge for mine. Thankyou for helping me decide, im also writing what you said about it being a charge for the space when i send letters to parents.
Thanks again.

And definately report her, but also take joy in that she may have no work soon :blush: Evil i no but who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbarella68
22-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Do you actually know she is doing this or have you been told?

catminder
26-02-2012, 07:10 PM
If you know her name and address report her to ofsted, the benefits hotline and the inland revenue. Whilst Ofsted might just slap her wrist and tell her she needs to get registered the benefits people and IR should actually do something.

Totally agree with this. When you think all the hard work we all put in to our childminding it's outrageous this woman can get away with this. Presumably she has no public liability insurance either.:angry:

Ripeberry
26-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Oh yes, tell the benefits people. They will love this kind of info. Ofsted are not bothered. Can't understand parents who do this? Why pay lots more to someone who is not registered and they can't get tax credits because there is no registration.
I feel you pain as there is an unregistered CM up at my village school, she had one little 3yr all day everyday and then has at least 4 older children each afternoon, but then they are over 8yrs old.
But what can you do? It's the parents who call the shots, if they want to take risks then it's their outlook if things go wrong. When I first registered two parents who used her said they were going to continue to use her, basically warning me off.
Not bothered as their children caused trouble then and still do, and this unregistered person only charges £2 an hour with all meals :eek: I have no idea what her address is though :mad:

smartbear
26-02-2012, 07:55 PM
For what it's worth... we work holiday pay out as follows:

weekly amount x 52 weeks divided into 12 calendar months for payment - & it's in the contract that we'll be taking 4 weeks (paid) holiday a year. Because I feel that CMs do a professional job & earn their hols just like everyone else:)

If we can't work through illness then we offer days in lieu, find them a space with another CM or refund; we'd refund too for hols beyond the 4 weeks.

None of our lovely parents have ever questioned that we need our hols!

samkeddy
29-02-2012, 09:56 AM
in answer to your original question i have now wrote my letter to parents explaining i wont be increasing fees this year but will be starting to charge for their holidays. If your still looking for help to word yours i could email you mine to help.
Thanks