PDA

View Full Version : Slightly confised about next steps

amirose
22-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I have a system which is working for me with my (six :panic:) learning journals. The only thing I am a bit confused about is meeting the next steps.

I have two different types of next steps ...

I have my next steps from my observations
and then I have my next steps on my three month report - the three month report is a summary of what they have achieved in the last three months and the next steps are from me looking at whats not highlighted off on their development chart and using these to make up my next steps.

Whats confusing me is do I need to just be meeting the next steps from their report or from the obs too? and if I am meeting the ones from their obs sometimes I just don't know what to write for instance ...

17/8/11
At the park, X went on the trampoline, when I said to X “Jump” he would jump on the trampoline.
Links: CLL, KUW, PD
Next Steps: Soft play trips to climb and explore

For this ob what would I do just stick in a photo of him at the soft play?

or

18/8/11
On the way home I said “Bump” as we went down the speed bumps. X
then repeated “bump!”
Links: CLL
Next Steps: First word books

would I then just stick in a photo of him reading the book? Or do I need to write a lengthy report on how it went?
If there was an ob from him reading the book I would write it down and link it but what if there isn't one?

And do I have to do it for every single observation? Sometimes all there is to wrote is - continue what were doing.

Wow that's a lot of question marks :D
I'm happy with everything else I'm doing just not the WRITTEN part of the next steps. I know I'm meeting them but I know Ofsted like to see (yet another) piece of paper proving it!

sarah707
22-02-2012, 06:21 PM
I think what you are doing sounds fine - except you are getting a bit too hung up on it and maybe doing too much.

The round up every 3 or 6 months should be about looking back at what has happened, celebrating achievements and looking forward... but most of the stuff you take forward will be from the original obs, not new things.

If you cut out those next steps would it be more do-able? :D