PDA

View Full Version : Being a Childminder with Dyslexia and the mass amount of paperwork!

beachgirl29
21-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Just want to know if anyone else who has Dyslexia struggles like I do.

Sometimes I feel as if all this paper work is very confusing it does get stupid at times! Just the amount does put me off but I try my best.

I have tried to keep things simple with more photos and short notes and daily diary's which I do explain to parents they my not make much sense to them!

Problem is when I write something down it reads correctly as I write down in y head but when I look back at it later on It doesn't make any sense at all!

Bit worried about my next inspection as not sure I am doing enough paper work.
Love looking after kids and getting the time with my daughter before she goes to school but hating the fact I have had two unhappy parents who turned on my after I stood up for myself and feel not appreciated for what I am doing and also how much this paperwork drives me mad!

:mad:

beachgirl29
21-02-2012, 08:23 PM
p.s Can see I have made some mistakes in my thread already! Sorry! :blush:

Pipsqueak
21-02-2012, 08:41 PM
don't apologise (we aren't that other place!!!)

I think what you need to do is find a system that works for you. Can you get a dictaphone or similar so you can speak what you want to say and then use word on the computer (or dyslexia friendly software perhaps) so you can get down what you want.

like I say its finding a way that works for you

get someone to proof read (loads of us on here who are willing to do stuff like that) important bumpf like newsletters, policies etc

rosebud
21-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Paperwork is not the most important thing about childminding - what matters is that you do a good job looking after the children and work with their parents as best you can. (Not always easy I know). I have a friend with dyslexia and she does struggle with some of the paperwork but she is by far one of the best childminders I know and does a fantastic job. Keep the words to a minimum and use photos as much as you can, as the saying goes "A picture tells a thousand words ..."

Tracey Tyler
21-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi I have just read you post and I fully understand where you are coming from with all the paper work we now have to do? When I was first a childminder 11 years ago I remberm only having a couple of papers ! Now look at it? I also find that you cant enjoy the children so much because your so stressed about paper work that you never swith off! I struggle lots to but what helps me is I use coloured pens ,highliters and paper to look at which really help! I also find that I spend hours trying to do one paper work as my brain does not think like other and takes alot longer! My son is also dyslexia and he wears green glass for school work and reading! Glass may help you should try it! I enjoy going on this site but I find that it takes me so long to think about what I want to put then to write it is hard work and take to long so I dont go on much! I am doing my level 3 in march but unsure because of my dyslexia,I have been told that I will get help! So you are not alone dear friend! Tracey :littleangel:

beachgirl29
21-02-2012, 09:34 PM
yes when i did my level 2 with my work I did try coloured overlays but it didn't help loads. I did have a Dictaphone but I am also deaf in one ear so didn't help much listening back to it as I would have to play it a few times to understand what was being said if I said stuff too fast ....I am the same with answer phone messages.
God I sound terrible!

I think photos is the way forward and short notes and hopefully Ofsted will understand.I do have a lovely husband who helps me when he can but hes pretty busy with his own self employment.

Pipsqueak
22-02-2012, 11:03 AM
yes when i did my level 2 with my work I did try coloured overlays but it didn't help loads. I did have a Dictaphone but I am also deaf in one ear so didn't help much listening back to it as I would have to play it a few times to understand what was being said if I said stuff too fast ....I am the same with answer phone messages.
God I sound terrible!

I think photos is the way forward and short notes and hopefully Ofsted will understand.I do have a lovely husband who helps me when he can but hes pretty busy with his own self employment.

with the colourimitry you MUST get the colour that is suitable and benefical to you. To do this you MUST see a qualified optometrist who is able to test for the colorimitry (Irlens Syndrome) . My son has coloured lenses for glasses and I cannot tell you the difference it has made to him.

As to the dictaphone/being deaf - there are some types of software that you would be able to plug into your pc and it will upload it for you. There are text to speech facilities.

If you get in touch with the Dyslexia Association then they can give you tons of advice and help about strategies and aids.

WibbleWobble
22-02-2012, 01:18 PM
....and you do have a lovely childminder friend 10 minutes away who you know would be more than happy to cast her eye over stuff.

mandy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tracey Tyler
23-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Hi every one , I am on the last question of unit 22 outcome 2 question 3.I dont know where to start please can any one help!!!

Question - Need to explain in deepth about what social pedagogy is ?
- Then need to exaplain what society is like in depth ?
- Explain how does it influenced factors in depth ?
Has any one done this question yet ? Or know how I can approach this as at the moment I have no idea ! Please can so one help !! Thank you so much for reading this! Take care and I will be in touch ! Tracey Tyler - Busy bees childcare! xx:panic::panic: