PDA

View Full Version : Won't eat

mindingmummy08
21-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone, hope you're enjoying pancake day

I have a one year old mindee and she just won't eat for me bless her. Her mom dropped her off last week with a note in her diary to say can I note down exact amounts she eats and what it is as shes not eating at home either.

When my son was 2 he stopped eating. He cried and made a big fuss at meal times and I could see his ribs. Hed only eat mcdonalds or chocolate but I wasnt willing to give that every day so I just sat back, bit my tounge and everyday put a new meal infront of him and removed it at the end of meal time without a word. One day he started to eat bits and bobs off his plate and I'd casually say how well he was growing because of the lovely food hed eat. Now he eats everything, even this week we had paella with squid!! I waited for him to ask me to pick it out but no he eat it.

I want to do this with my mindee but obviously its not as simple and when I write down her food it looks like nothing and as she refuses to eat most things there are zero of her five a day in their.

The things she will eat are, toast, buttons, crisps, mcdonalds. So I don't really feel like I have a base to work from.

The meals shes refused are spag bol, pancakes, roast dinner, plain mash potato, plain pasta, pasta with tomato sauce, home made wedges, home made burgers, anything on toast, eggs, omlette, beans, tin spaghetti/ravioli, home made mac and cheese, baked potato.

She is only one year old.

Where can I start! I really want to come up with some sort of action plan to give to mom and say this is what I'm going to do.

Also her poo is (sorry) always just a pale latte type colour. Every single day, which I've never seen before and I've changed alot of bums. It stinks terribly.

She is tiny but she is very happy and active, she isn't talking yet but lots of chattering and she can make animal noises.

Thank you to anyone who managed to read all of that :)

ziggy
21-02-2012, 03:53 PM
I always right in daily diary what food has been offered and refused as well as what was eaten. Luckily before i dont take any fussing over food it is very rare there is anything refused.

I think i would do what you did with your own child and note what was offered, eaten and/or refused

Helen79
21-02-2012, 03:59 PM
If she likes toast will she eat things like muffins, toasted tea cakes or scones - you could make cheese or fruit ones. Maybe try fruit smoothies or do some baking with fruit like banana bread.
Will she feed herself finger foods rather than spoon fed foods. I give my fussy eater a plate with cheese cubes, ham, tiny toast squares and some veg sticks.
I would take a similar approach that you did with your son, give her a plate of food that she can easily feed herself then let her get on with it then clear it away without any fuss.

onceinabluemoon
21-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Please advise mum to seek medical advice now. Really important!

Pale coloured poop can be an indicator of serious medical problems and she needs these ruled out before you even start thinking about diet.

Get parent to also ask doc for advice regarding the little ones eating, the doc will be able to refer her for some professional help.

Good luck

miffy
21-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree with OIABM - if she won't eat for you and has also stopped eating at home then mum needs to get her checked out and be sure there's no medical cause.

Miffy xx

VeggieSausage
21-02-2012, 07:01 PM
is she being given lots of milk at home and is holding out for that?...that can give pale poo too. I agree with trying baking and seeing if she will try what she has made and what about buffet style where she has to help herself to the bits she wants?....

mindingmummy08
22-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Thank you so much for your replies.

I will ask her mom to speak to doctor about poo today as even when my little one wasn't eating he never had this type.

She has one bottle of milk a day I have been told.

I'm going to keep offering finger foods and good idea writing what was offered against what was eaten that way I can atleast prove I'm offering a wide range of food.

She seems very stressed as soon as food is popped in front of her so I want to take away all the pressure for her. She does watch my two eat so hopefully in the long run this will help her to give it a go.

Are multi vitamins something I could suggest to mom while we're building up a range of food she'll eat.

I like the idea of other bread type products and I'm thinking I could make my own bread with some extras in, I've seen a recipe for bread with courgette in and fruit scones is a great idea! Best get my supplies out!

Thank you again I feel much more relaxed!

Helen79
22-02-2012, 09:33 AM
I like the idea of other bread type products and I'm thinking I could make my own bread with some extras in, I've seen a recipe for bread with courgette in and fruit scones is a great idea! Best get my supplies out!

we've made the raisin and courgette muffins off I Can Cook on the cbeebies website that the kids liked. They've got the veg in but the raisins make them sweet enough.

dette
22-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Have you tried sandwiches with a bowl of mixed fruit.
Even at 1 he can get involved in making them and this could increase his interest in eating it.One of my children is really fussy but will always eat a sandwich,he is 4 now and very gradually increasing his range of foods.What about pizza.(according to my husband this is the best food ever as it covers all the main food groups in one handy slice)
i had a mindee once that at 1 year old was only eating half a jar of baby fruit pudding for her main meal.she had never had a formed poo ever.within a week at mine she was eating fishfingers and veg and had a proper poo...i was proud .was going to take a photo of it but then wondered if that was the kind of thing a parent would like to see.

LChurch
22-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Lots of savoury muffins that contain veg and meat. Lots of recipes around, turkey balls, anything that is finger food with lots of savoury sweetness. When you say she is 1 are they just 1 or 18months type of 1?! My 18 month old is fussy, I knew she was hungry today and ended up as a one off to get her to eat to put her in front of TV and she ate all her lunch. Little madam won't be doing that tmrw though! She was tired though! I only resorted to it because she was the only 1 I had and I knew she had been so off her food recently both here and at hers! I went through this with my dd and now she has got a good range of food she likes. IT can be very tiring though. As someone else has said she needs to go to the doc too to make sure there is nothing else going on.