PDA

View Full Version : Can Mrs O really say that?

beachgirl29
20-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Had a complaint about TV.......... Long story short we do not have a TV licence and only watch DVDs on a TV which is not connected to an Ariel but we can also watch none live things like the BBC iplayer on computer etc ....Complaint was about TV being on all the time...of course it is not and I only use it for small amounts of time in the evening or as a treat and also saying I am breaking the law.

Mrs O did not seem to understand the TV licencing and I did my best to explain also explained We have had a visit from the TV inspector about a year ago and all was fine.
Then Mrs O said it would question my suitability of being a childminder if I was found to be watching TV illegally and get found out.
Can she say that and has anyone else had bother with the TV?

OK got that off my chest.....Thanks

Oh also I have got a TV policy which explains this to parents too.

blue bear
20-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Never really thought about it, I just assumed you need a license to watch I player

Trpta108
20-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I do exactly what you do. I do not have a license and only use tv for dvd'd and games and watch programmes on iplayer. I can't see why that is a problem for Ofsted. Sorry no advice, just wanted to tell that you are not the only one. I have also explained to TV license and they said it was fine.

sarah707
20-02-2012, 08:14 PM
The eyfs does say that you must comply with all the laws relating to everything you do which I would presume includes the TV licensing laws.

At the same time though if TV licensing are ok about you not having a licence then it's not really Ofsted's job to make a judgement on it unless you are clearly breaking the law.

Is this something Ofsted have put in writing? Or are you still waiting to see what they write about the complaint?

xx

singlewiththree
20-02-2012, 08:14 PM
They do say that you have to have a license for iplayer but I don't know how they would know you were watching it

rickysmiths
20-02-2012, 08:17 PM
You do not need a licence for i player because you are not watching live TV

singingcactus
20-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Nope, she can't say that. You are not breaking any laws or regulations. Maybe you could direct her to the TV licensing pages where she can see it all from the horses mouth (yeah yeah, I know, mixed metaphors but you know what I mean!). If those comments are on your report then you need to ask for them to be removed as non-factual, and total poop!

beachgirl29
20-02-2012, 08:24 PM
You need a licence if you are watching Live things on the Iplayer I sat down with the TV licence man a while and asked him loads of stuff about it before we did it.

Nothing in writing yet just had the call and Mrs O visited me last week so I guess it takes a while to process it all? She seemed fine with it when we chatted...does that mean they take it no further?
Will that be written on the website?

miffy
20-02-2012, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't worry too much - if Ofsted are going to question your suitability as a cm they will have to put that decision in writing and you would then be able to appeal. Hopefully things won't get that far.

Miffy xx

boxtree7
21-02-2012, 06:31 AM
Surly that's your decision and not for Mrs O to make judgement.

crazyhazy
21-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Am I the only person shocked that ofsted have wasted time investigating you with regards to a complaint about tv! That seems ridiculous to me. You're right though you don;t need a tv license and as long as they are happy you aren;t breaking any laws (which you're not, you only need one for live shows on iplayer etc not prerecorded ones cos we've considered cancelling ours cos we rarely watch tv) I don;t actually see what the problem is.

beachgirl29
21-02-2012, 07:54 PM
looked on the website today and the report has gone on my details (no letter yet). But they said nothing really about the TV and just said they saw lots of evidence to prove we don't just sit there and watch TV (not how they put it in words but I get the idea that's what they mean) and nothing about the none licence.

It has put me off using the TV to watch DVDs with the kids.

alwaysright
21-02-2012, 08:38 PM
can i ask was this just part of your normal inspection or has a complaint been made against you by a parent??

beachgirl29
21-02-2012, 09:05 PM
it was a complaint raised.

:(