PDA

View Full Version : How would you summarise advantages/disadvantages of a childminder versus a nanny

clorogue
20-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Just wondered how you would summarise the advantages/disadvantages - of having a childminder compared to a nanny or vice versa. There is a lady i know looking for a nanny or a childminder for her two children - you may suggest things that I hadn't thought of.

Thanks

sarah707
20-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Nannies are in your house, eating your food, often (though not always I know) without any formal qualifications... they cost a lot more as well!

Childminders are professionals, Ofsted checked etc :D

loocyloo
20-02-2012, 08:22 PM
having been a nanny ...

pro... if child ill, parent can still go to work as nanny at home to care for child.
nanny 'may' do household 'chores' such as shopping, washing, keeping areas nanny & child use clean and tidy.
nanny may do childs clothes/uniform/shoe shopping
nanny would probably do dentist/dr etc
nanny would be able to do longer hours/be available for babysitting ( and be stuck if parents run late ;) )

con... if nanny ill, parent still needs to look after child!
if parent at home, always someone else in the house
nanny may have lots of friends over
nanny may persue a social life with a charge tagging along ( i knew a couple like that :( )
cost of heating house, elecricity all day
cost of nanny using home phone during the day!
cost of extra food for nanny/visitors etc
cost of nannys petrol, outings, toddlers, resources etc
need to pay nannies tax & national insurance
nanny not regulated/inspected
nanny may not have insurance or first aid

if family are looking at a nanny for 2 children, fulltime, then it may actually be cheaper to have a nanny than a childminder !!!

i have to say, i loved being a nanny, and nannied when ds was a babe. if that family had still needed me ... i'd have been there still !!! but i had a wonderful family ... they are DDs godparents now and we are all part of each others families!

stardust
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM
Nanny & Childminder
* Can be unqualified or qualified
* Works in the childcare sector
* Responsible for child's entertainment and well being.
* Can work with children of various ages

Solely Nanny
* works in child's home
* Can be self employed or employed
* Can be registered with ofsted (to use childcare vouchers) or unregistered.
* Can be CRB/Pediatric first aid trained or can not be
* Free to attend toddler groups/ plan activities (sometimes the parents have input)
* Can have children from 2 different families so could have 3 under 1's if need be.
* No planning ect may occasionally set up a learning diary/day book
* Carrieing out some housework and other daily tasks.
* Can care for ill child
* Cheaper for families who have 2+ children or friends who would like to nanny share.
* Set/ Easily changeable hours.

Solely Childminder
* Self employed
* Restricted numbers
* Ofsted registered and 3 yearly inspection
* Pediatric first aid trained
* Crb checked
* Has to plan via EYFS
* Tons of legislation to implement and follow
* Work from home

I will probably think of others and will add them when I do.

stardust
20-02-2012, 08:34 PM
having been a nanny ...

nanny may have lots of friends over
nanny may persue a social life with a charge tagging along ( i knew a couple like that :( ) I never did any of this whilst nannying but i did know a nanny who did

cost of nanny using home phone during the day! I never used the home phone either, took my own lunch

cost of nannys petrol, outings, toddlers, resources etc I nannied local to shops, groups ect so hardly ever used my car.

Oh and I was on £7.50 per hour, I also loved my job! x

clorogue
20-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Very interesting - great input and thank you. Interesting to hear from Nannies that were! I know it depends on personal choice too what the family prefers but it is great to see all the points summarised. Also was thinking that if they were at a childminders - the parents would have a mess free house all day!

JCrakers
21-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I used to be a nanny and loved it. No paperwork, no eyfs, no mess in my house, I could go out the house and come back home.tax and ni paid, no expenses etc.

The advantages of having a nanny would be
Sole care of your children
Child in own home
If child is ill they can stay at home with nanny
childs room tidied,clothes ironed, washed (although I dont do housework,some do)

Disadvantages would be
The cost and also tax and ni have to be paid
paying for toddler groups,days out
food, elec, gas, wear and tear of own house

I would love to go back into nannying when my two children are old enough to be on their own after school. Full time nannying can be long hours, I used to do 8-6.30pm. Im sure I used to get about £120 a week but that was 17yrs ago. (that was poor wasnt it...works out at about £2.40 an hour) It was maybe more than that
I would probably need about £7.50-£8 an hour today.