PDA

View Full Version : How would you charge?

Trpta108
20-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I have had an enquiry for one 10.5 hour day a week. Problem is the day of week will change weekly, so will take up a full time place. I am happy not to be too busy, but would prefer to have at least 16 hours, as I have a full timer taking up one of my two spaces, so if I had less than 16 hours and my full timer should suddenly stop for whatever reason, I would not be eligible for working tax credit, and therefore struggle severely. It is very quiet in my area (very few enquiries). I have thought of saying a minimum of 16 hours but at reduced rate (I normally charge £4.50 p/h, but would then charge £4.00p/h). Does that sound reasonable?

breezy
20-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Thats more than generous, Personally if I was doing that I wouldn't drop my hourly rate, one because you're being more than generous and two because you dont want different families on different rates especially if the other one found out!
A lot of childminders would charge for a week if thats the space they're taking up, so dont undercharge, remember it's a full time place you're losing!

Trpta108
20-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Thank you for your reply Breezy. I guess I am just trying to give her a good deal, as I don't want to put her off. As i mentioned, enquiries are far between. I guess she is only being paid for the hours she works, so don't feel i can charge too much more than the 10.5 hours.

Tatjana
20-02-2012, 10:20 PM
I would think if enquiries are few and far between if you charge too much there will be other cm's out there who will be happy to only charge for the day used.

carol cameron
21-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi, going off on a slight tangent :blush: it might also be worth taking into account that the minimum number of hours worked regarding tax credits will be increasing. Might even be from April this year but don't forget all your preparation, paperwork, shopping, training etc counts towards your working hours too

Trpta108
22-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Tax credits told me that only the hours I get paid for counts!
Do you know how many hours it is increasing to?

rosebud
22-02-2012, 06:05 PM
21 hours I think, but not sure when.

Trpta108
22-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Oh dear!
She was happy with 16 hours for £4 p/h. She is coming Friday to do contract. I hope I have done the right thing now...