PDA

View Full Version : Dog scratched mindee in park - Should I tell mum?

NicoleW
20-02-2012, 02:54 PM
My gut is saying yes I should ring her now.

I took mindee to park (14 months) he's just got his first shoes so getting him walking outside, I also had my 22 month old and a 2.5 year old and my own 5 year old.

Me, 22 month old and 14 month old mindee was in the grassy area, I was chasing them when a pup came over - about 4months old - knocked down Hannah (my daughter 22 month old) and climbed ontop of her, at which point I shoved the dog off and got her up when it knocks down and scratches mindees face - at this point I kicked the dog. I know I shouldn't have, but I had to do something and I'm ashamed to admit that I kicked the pup quite hard to get it away which it did, went running back to the owner then.

Mindee has a scratch down the face from his forehead to his chin, I've washed it with warm water and antiseptic solution.

Should I phone mum right away and tell her what has happened or shall I wait for him to get picked up? He's due to be picked up at 4:30.

I've checked over his entire body and he has no marks anywhere else :(

I feel so guilty :( My daughter has two scratches on her face and a little nip on her nose

jumpinjen
20-02-2012, 02:58 PM
I would personally call mum just to let her know so she isn't shocked when she comes to collect. I start this kind of phone call with 'don't panic, x is fine, just thought you should know that Y happened so you aren't shocked when you get here'. It will stop you from worrying so much as well. Have you written it up as an incident and what you followed up with as well? Were there any witnesses? What did the dog owner have to say?
Jen x

NicoleW
20-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes I have written down everything and gonna ask mum to sign when she gets here.

He said nothing, just put a lead on it and went

aly
20-02-2012, 08:19 PM
where was the owner and did she say anything?

Mouse
20-02-2012, 08:22 PM
I hope it went OK with mum.

I know it's too late now, but I would have phoned mum & warned her so it wasn't a shock when she arrived.

samb
20-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Oh gosh - I would have kicked it too! How frightening for you and the children. It may have been a pup but how would you know what it might have done next if you hadn't got it off quickly? What happened in the end with mum? Are the children ok - you may find they are worried now around dogs or even the park. I can't believe the owner just put the lead on and walked off! Did he not even say sorry?!

I always let parents know of any facial/large marks or bumps to head as soon as possible after an incident. Other things I just tell on collection.

Jellytots79
20-02-2012, 09:37 PM
I would of had to of said something to the owner about not putting it on a lead sooner with it being a bouncy puppy and young children about. You would of thought that they would of come over to say sorry and see if they were ok!

NicoleW
21-02-2012, 07:02 AM
I phoned mum and she was alright she was just really concerned incase the pup had broken his skin but luckily it hadn't.

I didn't say anything to the bloke when he got his dog, I was always taught that if I don't have anything nice to say, not say anything at all. I would've seriously lost my rag with him and the children shouldn't see me like that so I took a big breath in and went home.

miffy
21-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Glad mum was OK about it and mindee and your dd are both fine.

Miffy xx

angeldelight
21-02-2012, 08:29 AM
The thing is with puppies they want to play, the owner should have had him on a lead by rights more so in a park with children running around , the dog prob wanted to join in and play

The owner should have said sorry to you

I am glad the little one is ok and mom too

Angel xx