PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to lift mindee

snufflepuff
20-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm 5 months pregnant and I have a really heavy mindee! He is 16 months old and weighs 33lb, so only 2lbs lighter than my son who has just turned three!!!

Mindee sleeps upstairs in a travel cot. He can crawl up the stairs but usually refuses to because he knows it means nap time. He can't get back down the stairs, and obviously can't get in and out of the travel cot on his own. I'm finding it really hard to lift him- it makes my bump ache and feel really tender. I get a sort of pulling sensation.

Is there a solution to this or do I just need to put up with it? I can't really give notice, because it would mean losing his older brother too. Plus it's only one day a week and I'm finishing work at the end of May. There's nowhere else he can sleep- he needs to be contained because he would wreck the place, he causes enough destruction just from what he can reach around the sides of the travel cot (it's in a very small room so he can reach shelves and a chest of drawers.)

adele1985
20-02-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm 5 months pregnant and I have a really heavy mindee! He is 16 months old and weighs 33lb, so only 2lbs lighter than my son who has just turned three!!!

Mindee sleeps upstairs in a travel cot. He can crawl up the stairs but usually refuses to because he knows it means nap time. He can't get back down the stairs, and obviously can't get in and out of the travel cot on his own. I'm finding it really hard to lift him- it makes my bump ache and feel really tender. I get a sort of pulling sensation.

Is there a solution to this or do I just need to put up with it? I can't really give notice, because it would mean losing his older brother too. Plus it's only one day a week and I'm finishing work at the end of May. There's nowhere else he can sleep- he needs to be contained because he would wreck the place, he causes enough destruction just from what he can reach around the sides of the travel cot (it's in a very small room so he can reach shelves and a chest of drawers.)

Hi hun, could he go in a buggy to sleep?

snufflepuff
20-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi hun, could he go in a buggy to sleep?

I might suggest it to Mum, I'm sure she would be fine about it, but I doubt he would actually go to sleep. Especially with 3 other mindees playing in the next room. Not sure where I'd store the buggy when it's not being used either.

Playmate
20-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I think I would put him on a matress on the floor downstairs and just sit with him until he goes to sleep. Either that or pushchair as its only 1 day a week :D

Mouse
20-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I might suggest it to Mum, I'm sure she would be fine about it, but I doubt he would actually go to sleep. Especially with 3 other mindees playing in the next room. Not sure where I'd store the buggy when it's not being used either.

Where do you store your buggy now? Can you not just bring it in as you need it, then put it away again when you've finished?

Or could you not set the travel cot up downstairs and get the other mindees to play something quiet while he's getting off to sleep in the next room?

Or, if you keep him sleeping upstairs, show him how to bump down the stairs on his bottom to save you carrying him back down.

snufflepuff
20-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Where do you store your buggy now? Can you not just bring it in as you need it, then put it away again when you've finished?

Or could you not set the travel cot up downstairs and get the other mindees to play something quiet while he's getting off to sleep in the next room?

Or, if you keep him sleeping upstairs, show him how to bump down the stairs on his bottom to save you carrying him back down.

The buggies are in the garage at the moment, I'd have to bring it in the night before and it would have to stay up in the kitchen, which means the children then can't play in there anymore (used to have a buggy in there for a mindee to sleep in and they would drag the buggy around the room crashing it in to eachother!) would be a shame as it's such a big room.

Can't bring the travel cot downstairs, it probably weighs more than mindee does, lol!

Helen79
20-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Not sure what buggy you've got now but could you find a cheap umbrella fold one that lies flat that's easier to store folded down so they can still play in the kitchen until he needs to sleep.
Or leave the buggy outside the back door til you need it (with raincover on incase of rain).

The Juggler
20-02-2012, 10:13 PM
is there no quiet room you could wheel him into once in the buggy. One of my mindees used to sleep in the buggy in my utility room.

MAWI
20-02-2012, 10:22 PM
You can get a travel cot that is suitable for the child to crawl into, then you zip up the sides., they are low level, so you wouldn't have to lift him in. I looked at thembefore(I had a shoulder injury). They were made by Phil and Ted but can't remember how much they are and if it would be worth the outlay for you, seeing as your finishing soon anyway.

uf353432
20-02-2012, 11:07 PM
could he forgo a sleep if its just one day?

Loushah
20-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I only have 12 months between my boys and also looked after my niece whilst pregnant with DS2, so had this problem and the best advice I could give you is to try and avoid lifting the toddler as much as possible but obviously it can't be avoided.

Take care when lifting the toddler i.e straight back, bend knees, keep toddler close to your body...if you swing the toddler up you are more likely to put strain on your back. When taking toddler out of travel cot, make him stand up before lifting him out to reduce the amount you have to bend.

I would also really encourage them to go up stairs themselves (plenty of praise)...when I used to come down the stairs especially when I was heavily pregnant, I used to sit on the stairs working my way down with either baby / toddler on lap or doing it next to me on the step (sounds silly and embarrassing to admit but it worked for me!!!)

I wish you all the very best and remember hundreds of women have had to lift toddlers whilst pregnant and their babies were fine so don't get stressed out if you do feel a little strain on the bump, your baby is well protected in there

sarah707
21-02-2012, 07:40 AM
I used to care for a very heavy little boy just over 1 who I couldn't lift.

I promoted independence as quickly as possible, asking him to climb into the buggy and putting him on a low seat for meals that he could get into and out of it without me having to lift him.

I would give him a boost when needed from behind but otherwise he had to do it himself or I would have hurt my back and wrists.

For sleep he went in a buggy - it was lie flat and supported. I popped him on the covered patio with plenty of blankets when needed and monitored him the same way as the other sleepers so he was safe.

When I did have to pick him up I took advice from a manual handling trainer and enveloped him with my arms so my whole body took the strain rather than just my wrists, back and tummy. You might be as well taking advice - you have to put yourself and your body first.

Hth :D

miffy
21-02-2012, 07:52 AM
I'd talk to mum - she might have a light weight travel cot you could set up downstairs or be happy for lo to go in a buggy to sleep as it's just for one day

Miffy xx

mama2three
21-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Id go for the buggy option if you can work out the practicalities. Id possibly get him to sleep in the kitchen in the buggy then push it outside for him to sleep.

snufflepuff
21-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you everyone. I might see if I can get hold of a cheap second hand buggy that folds really small- if it's small enough it will fit in the cupboard under the stairs, then I can shut him in the kitchen for his sleep (so the other children can't get in there and wake him!)

I keep telling myself that pregnant ladies have to lift their own children....I had to lift children during my last pregnancy because I was a nursery nurse, but it never hurt me or made my bump uncomfortable. But I guess children of his weight are usually older and more independent so don't need lifting. My son and 2 of my mindees have all recently turned 3 and are only slightly heavier than him....and don't need lifting, just a little help with getting in to car seats and the booster seats at the table.