PDA

View Full Version : Broken Hand

BuggsieMoo
20-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Hi All
Ive broken my hand and am in a splint at present and back to hospital Wednesday for it to be re-xrayed and set.
Does anyone know if this means I cannot work. I can use it now its in a splint but will take precautions. Also, do I need to notify Ofsted. It happened outside work.
Thanks

rickysmiths
20-02-2012, 04:30 PM
It depends how much it may affect your ability to work. You won't be able to drive because you won't be insured if you have a splint on your hand so does this stop school runs or pre school pick ups?

Are you able to pick up younger mindees with out a problem?

Can you put up and push buggies?

Can you put up and take down highchairs?

Can you change a nappy?

I would suggest a call to your insurance company would be a good idea, see what their view is and if they are ok and the Dr has said you are ok then you don't need to tell Ofsted.

BuggsieMoo
20-02-2012, 05:10 PM
It depends how much it may affect your ability to work. You won't be able to drive because you won't be insured if you have a splint on your hand so does this stop school runs or pre school pick ups? School is a 5 min walk away so thats fine

Are you able to pick up younger mindees with out a problem?Yes can pick them up fine now its in a splint, was even lifting my own prior to the splint :blush:

Can you put up and push buggies?Yes however pram is kept in outhouse up already so putting up is no issue and can push with it

Can you put up and take down highchairs?I have chair adaptors due to ages and therefore just need to lift into

Can you change a nappy?Yep - plenty of practise as broke hand before

I would suggest a call to your insurance company would be a good idea, see what their view is and if they are ok and the Dr has said you are ok then you don't need to tell Ofsted.Will do this tomorrow however doctor asked what I did, I advised and he said to just be extra careful but he could see no reason for me taking 6-10 weeks off.

The only real pain is its my right hand and im right handed!!

nikki thomson
20-02-2012, 06:18 PM
I have to say this is my one nightmare, if I broke my arm or worse my leg, as I wouldn't beable to do school run, if it was my arm I could look after lo who's 18mths but if it was my leg there's no way.
Hope it all works out for you. X

BuggsieMoo
20-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I have to say this is my one nightmare, if I broke my arm or worse my leg, as I wouldn't beable to do school run, if it was my arm I could look after lo who's 18mths but if it was my leg there's no way.
Hope it all works out for you. X

I know its a nightmare. I broke it Saturday morning (and knew it) , xrayed Sat pm - no break apparently so no splint. Got worse over weekend so went back to A&E after school run today, more xrays and low and behold break and fracture clinic appointment wednesday after school run.

Older kids were really great today and did things when asked (including my own :laughing:) and parents have been really understanding as contacted them all as soon as I left A&E explaining what had happened.

Hubby is my assistant and has the next 2 weeks off his day job anyway so can offer support which is going to be hepful and give me chance to adjust how I do things for the time being.

It never rains but it pours!

rickysmiths
20-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Glad you are all organised. Don't over do it though and get better quickly.

miffy
20-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Good job your OH is around to take the strain.

Hope it heals quickly

Miffy xx

BuggsieMoo
22-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Thanks all.
Well been back to fracture clinic today and am now sporting a shiny purple cast from tip of thumb to elbow. Cant write at all now so have done my daily diaries on the laptop so I can type them.
Back to hospital on 7th March for more xrays and to see if I will still need a cast then....
Called insurance cos and im fine to work (Hospital consultant confirmed this) and plus hubby is about to take the load with parental permissions in place.
Also thought id let Ofsted know - no response as yet but cant see it being an issue.
Thanks all
BuggsieMoo x

rickysmiths
22-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks all.
Well been back to fracture clinic today and am now sporting a shiny purple cast from tip of thumb to elbow. Cant write at all now so have done my daily diaries on the laptop so I can type them.
Back to hospital on 7th March for more xrays and to see if I will still need a cast then....
Called insurance cos and im fine to work (Hospital consultant confirmed this) and plus hubby is about to take the load with parental permissions in place.
Also thought id let Ofsted know - no response as yet but cant see it being an issue.
Thanks all
BuggsieMoo x

You need not have done that if you are fit to work.

BuggsieMoo
22-02-2012, 01:26 PM
You need not have done that if you are fit to work.

Hi Rickysmiths - I did it primarily cos I know an individual (a parent at my school) likes to call Ofsted on cm's and cause problems - thought id give them the heads up as she has already commented to friends about my hand. Silly woman.

Doctor says im fit to work, have my assistant in place and am redoing my RA's to take into account the break - just know firsthand how vindictive some people can be.

Now to concentrate on getting better - have just changed a nappy with it so all is good - just cant write. x

rickysmiths
22-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Oh dear then you did do the right thing. Why are some people such busy bodies?

BuggsieMoo
07-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Well, having been to hospital today for my cast off and x-rays the news is.....................................

its STILL broken :mad::panic:

Have reupdated Ofsted who are perfectly fine about it and am now in an Orange cast (was purple beforehand) until the 4th April.

Not having much fun really as it my right hand and im right handed. They've also plastered it in a different angle so hopefully I will have a bit more use as thumb and fingers can now meet again - yipppeeeeee!!

Have decided my life now needs to consist of sitting on the sofa with my feet up whilst DH panders to me needs - that way I cant break myself anymore :laughing: