PDA

View Full Version : Children on anti biotics

Cookie Monster
20-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Hi all,

One of my babies arrived today and I've not had her over the half term, mum said she may sound a bit chesty and has been given antibiotics from doctor last Thursday "but apart from that she s fine". I accepted her and thought I'd see how the baby gets on. She is ok in herself but coughing a lot, what do you think about babies on antibiotics should they stay home until course is finished?

It's a tricky one:rolleyes:

QualityCare
20-02-2012, 12:06 PM
I would take children on antibiotics after 24hrs, they have then had at least 3 doses at home and are generally feeling better, coughs can linger for ages.

snufflepuff
20-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I ask parents to keep them off for at least the first 24hrs of taking antibiotics

rickysmiths
20-02-2012, 12:09 PM
This is what I do as well and I am happy to give does while the child is with me.

Don't forget to log medication and get it signed if you are giving it to the baby.

kel1983
20-02-2012, 01:34 PM
I had this last week. Little one took was off the day her mum got the anti biotics and then came to me the following day. he was on them as she had a nasty cough but was well otherwise.

Aslong as all doses are logged then I can't see the problem

The Juggler
20-02-2012, 01:35 PM
i'm happy to take most children with antibiotics as long as they've had a first dose with parents.:)

onceinabluemoon
20-02-2012, 07:10 PM
Happy to give antibiotics but chest infections are contagious so won't take a child with a chest infection.