PDA

View Full Version : First down day on the job :-( feel rubbish

Demonjill
20-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Well I suppose it had to happen some time....

Today when my 2 mindees were dropped off - the younger one(4) was upset and a bit tearful!
Mum said he was feeling bit under weather but older brother(5) said (very quietly)it was because he didnt like it at my house:(
Thing is he always seems to enjoy what we do whether its freeplay or organised activities. Hes not really fussed about parks or the farm which ive not come across before.

I think the problem is that he is here himself for a few hours of the day so its just me and him and he finds that difficult as he is not used to this but he still seems ok
His behaviour is generally good and he can be very sweet, sometimes though he can be a bit cheeky and very stubborn which has happened twice - I usually give him a wee time out when this happens only a few minutes and then we are ok again no problems

I know I shouldnt feel bad but I do:(:(

He was fine when mum went and played happily with his brother and my son before nursery but im now dreading when i pick him up. I text mum to let her know he was fine as she had mentioned to this LO that she could ask his dad to pick him up earlier than usual :panic: but this is not the right thing to do as he may then start to use it to play up to get this all the time!!

Just really having a down moment and suppose im not sure how to deal with it :blush:im used to things being ok all the time ha

Next week should get easier as i have a LO starting doing 2 days that this boy is here so he will have someone to play with after nursery.

Sorry to moan :o but needed to "talk" to someone

JCrakers
20-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Hope youre feeling better soon...we all have down days :(

Like you say, you have another child starting soon so he will have someone to play with. I often find that the children are happier when there is someone to play with. I have two at the moment and when one goes to the loo the other one waits for her to come back :D Doenst matter how much intersction I have with them, they love playing together more than with me.

See how it goes next week.:D
I have off days too due to not knowing anyone local so I spend all day on my own which is the only downside to my job but it is a big downside :(
wish I could find some local childminders but they all seem to be older around here and its very clique(sp)

The Juggler
20-02-2012, 01:37 PM
oh hon, don't worry. children who are a bit under the weather will often play up. just offer lots of cuddles and "down time" stories etc. It is hard when it's early days minding too as you are getting used to being alone with children much more.

Make sure you plan some outings where you will be able to chat to other grown ups :thumbsup:

TooEarlyForGin?
20-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Try not to take anything too personally. I had one little boy from 12months to school, we went through quite a rough period when he was about 3.5 where he would regularly tell me he didn't like me and wasn't going to come anymore. Luckily mum was having similar problems at home, he was just testing boundaries and whenever anyone said "no" he would be quite horrible ;) telling his mum he didn't love her anymore. It was awful as it does make you feel bad, but its rarely personal.

sarah707
20-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I've had this a few times in the past - they usually don't like being asked to respect my boundaries and have a little protest.

it will pass with time and you shouldn't change anything you do.

Hugs xx

Demonjill
20-02-2012, 11:25 PM
I've had this a few times in the past - they usually don't like being asked to respect my boundaries and have a little protest.

it will pass with time and you shouldn't change anything you do.

Hugs xx

thanks Sarah - this is what im hoping!:thumbsup:

My own kids have obviously been(and still are lol) well behaved so this is all new to me :blush:

Bluebell
21-02-2012, 08:11 AM
thanks Sarah - this is what im hoping!:thumbsup:

My own kids have obviously been(and still are lol) well behaved so this is all new to me :blush:

It's always been the opposite for me - the childminding kids are well behaved and it's my kids that have started playing me up!!! My eldest was a right monkey when Ofsted was here last week!!

Bless - this little boy sounds like he might be having a bit of a phase and I wouldn't worry about the 5 year olds interpretation of it! - sounds like a combination of being under the weather, testing boundaries and just a normal reaction to the best place in the world is at home with my toys and my family and my familiar things.
My youngest son says in the morning that he doesn't want to go to pre-school and that he wants to stay at home but come when we arrive he's bounding in excitedly and he loves it there! I know he misses it when he's not there but at the moment - especially with cold mornings and early starts -he would really just stay in his jimmie-jams and stay at home with mum (I have quite a few days like that myself)
I am sure he will settle and don't let him get you down, best wishes x

VeggieSausage
21-02-2012, 02:13 PM
the little 2.5 year old I look after told me that he didn't like it at my house and neither did his brother :( ....don't take it personally, all children prefer to be with mum and dad than in childcare in general.......

miffy
21-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Hope you had a better day today Jill.

I do agree with Sarah though, keep doing what you're doing :)

Miffy xx

Demonjill
21-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Hope you had a better day today Jill.

I do agree with Sarah though, keep doing what you're doing :)

Miffy xx

thanks Miffy - yes i did:thumbsup: although he was picked up early today

He loves arts n crafts so we are doing that for hours - will need to get stocked up again at this rate (and i have LOADS :laughing:)