PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE

adele1985
20-02-2012, 07:50 AM
hi just wanting some advice really (sorry this would be long)

I have been minding my friends little boy since the begining of January for 2 mornings a week. She had just started a new job and her tax credits has not came through yet so she asked if she could pay me when they come through

As I thought it would proberly be only a few weeks I agreed to this

Its now nearly the end of feb and i still havent been paid - I have asked her about it but they havent came through yet (someone had reported her for claiming tax credits when she wasent working - her ex employer reported her she said she didnt tell them as she had already got another job lined up so didnt see the point of informing them for the sake of a few weeks)

I dont know how child tax cedits work - anyone know how long they normally take - she owes me herly £300 now

watgem
20-02-2012, 07:56 AM
one of my mums circumstances have changed and tax credits have told her she won't get any money for 3 months as that is how long it will take them to work it out, not sure if thats any helpxxx

kellib
20-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Whenever I've reported a change in my own circumstances my tax credits have been sorted out within a week.

wendywu
20-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Sorry but her situation with tax credits is not your problem.

She needs to pay for her childcare and two mornings per week is not a lot of money to find. Do not care for this child unless you start getting paid.

She can add some of the debt onto the present weekly payment. :(

Bluebell
20-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Th longer she leaves it the harder it is going to be for her to pay you off - what if her tax credits get sorted but don't adaquately cover her childcare?
You should at least let her know what she owes you as she might not have realised how much it has built up to. Don't let it build up anymore - even as Wendywu suggested she just pay you the normal weekly fee with a small amount of extra - if she has been working she has been earning and you should be earning too!

Best wishes

adele1985
20-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Th longer she leaves it the harder it is going to be for her to pay you off - what if her tax credits get sorted but don't adaquately cover her childcare?
You should at least let her know what she owes you as she might not have realised how much it has built up to. Don't let it build up anymore - even as Wendywu suggested she just pay you the normal weekly fee with a small amount of extra - if she has been working she has been earning and you should be earning too!

Best wishes

I have gave her a bill that states the fees she owes up until the end of this month so she knows how much she owes.

aly
20-02-2012, 09:01 AM
if she was claiming when she shouldnt have then tax credits may class her case as an overpayment so she has to pay them back, so may not get anything from them....meaning you are working for nothing.

I worked for a friend before....NEVER EVER again.....

As Wendywu said, tax credits are her problem not yours.

Mouse
20-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Even if she was getting full tax credits, that's only 70% of the amount she pays you, so would have to have found the other 30% herself. I would have expected her to pay that amount as a minimum. I am understanding in certain circumstances, but never accept no payment at all. Parents always have to pay something.

Have you spoken to her about it again? Tell her you cannot go on working for nothing, so need at least some money from her. Unfortunately friends can soon turn when it comes to money. If she's happily running up a bill with no effort to pay anything, you may find she is reluctant to pay up when/if her money does come through :(

adele1985
20-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Even if she was getting full tax credits, that's only 70% of the amount she pays you, so would have to have found the other 30% herself. I would have expected her to pay that amount as a minimum. I am understanding in certain circumstances, but never accept no payment at all. Parents always have to pay something.

Have you spoken to her about it again? Tell her you cannot go on working for nothing, so need at least some money from her. Unfortunately friends can soon turn when it comes to money. If she's happily running up a bill with no effort to pay anything, you may find she is reluctant to pay up when/if her money does come through :(

:( im starting to think that may be the case to be honest

What would my options be if that was the case would i have any chance of getting the money back

aly
20-02-2012, 10:47 AM
:( im starting to think that may be the case to be honest

What would my options be if that was the case would i have any chance of getting the money back
how much does it work out to be?...the only way of doing it would be small claim through ncma, but they will only do it if its over a certain amount.

adele1985
20-02-2012, 11:31 AM
she owes £300
Im not a member of NCMA :(

sharonmanc
20-02-2012, 11:32 AM
you are allowed to continue claiming tax credits if you have a break in employment but is no longer than 2 weeks. So she should not have had them stopped.

If you report a change in circumstances and are already claiming, your tax credits do not stop, and take upto 2 weeks to change the amount you recieve they do not stop, when i have done this in the past it has only taken a week maximum.

Either way, it is not your issue, she has to pay you, how she gets the money is not your problem, youwoudl not go tesco do your shop , and say at the till, I will pay you when my tax credits come through, or a nursery.

LOOPYLISA
20-02-2012, 11:37 AM
My pantner is self employed and he stopped working due to a accident i called them and told them the situation and they said we could still claim up to 6 months :idea: im not sure of this is of any help x

adele1985
20-02-2012, 11:52 AM
My pantner is self employed and he stopped working due to a accident i called them and told them the situation and they said we could still claim up to 6 months :idea: im not sure of this is of any help x

I really dont know what to do about it

I really dont think there is anything I can do really apart from hope i get the money

I have spoke to her about it - ill just have to hope shes telling the truth about the tax credits not going through

I feel really horrible for even thinking she might not be telling the truth but every time I mention the money I can tell shes not happy about it

Ill sent a text to her on friday "hi hun just woundering if you have heard anything from tax credits"

she replyed "no ill give you them when they come"

she seems anoyed that im asking

really dont know what to do :(

LOOPYLISA
20-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Its so difficult i know x

Tatjana
20-02-2012, 12:59 PM
I feel really horrible for even thinking she might not be telling the truth but every time I mention the money I can tell shes not happy about it

Ill sent a text to her on friday "hi hun just woundering if you have heard anything from tax credits"

she replyed "no ill give you them when they come"

she seems anoyed that im asking

really dont know what to do :(

It's not on that she's 'annoyed' that you're asking about it, she should be grateful to you that you're looking after her child under the circumstances!! If anything she should be humble.

madmamma
20-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Sorry hun, but you can't keep burying your head about confronting her any longer!

You and she have a contract, you do not have a contract with CTC, she does, so she should be funding the costs in the meantime, and then she can enjoy the lump sum back payment should she be entitled to one.

What happens if she isn't getting CTC as a result of her previous omissions? Do you not get paid either?

She is able to work because she is using childcare, she is getting paid for her job, you should be getting paid for doing yours!

Whilst you can sympathize with her predicament, you have been more than understanding and considerate, and now it's time for her to pay you.

You don't need the ncma to pursue through the small claims court, you can do that yourself, alternatively, contact your childcare insurer and see if they can help.

I think you need to write a formal letter and give this irresponsible selfish parent some additional time to pay - I think a week, then you have to write to her again giving her another 28 days whilst informing her that if she doesn't cough up you will take her to court, you can then file copies of communications and responses as your evidence

The time for being nicey nicey and communicating by text has passed, you need to do something far more proactive such as withholding care until paid in full

I think in your heart you already know this :rolleyes:

The Juggler
20-02-2012, 01:29 PM
i agree with madmamma. her 'annoyed' response has annoyed me. You need to speak to her and say,

"I'm sorry you have a problem with tax credits but I need to feed the family/buy resources. Our contract states payment is due on xxx date and it's now xxx weeks late and you owe me £300. I don't want to start charging late fees (as per my contract) but our contract does mean that you have to pay on time. The contract is between you and me not tax credits"

or something along those lines hon :)

be prepared for her to turn nasty but give it back to her, tell her how your kids are missing out on their treats/clubs etc, etc. I know it's not easy for her to pay you when TC's are lagging behind but that doesn' mean she continues as normal whilst you get all the disadvantages :panic::panic:

adele1985
20-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Sorry hun, but you can't keep burying your head about confronting her any longer!

You and she have a contract, you do not have a contract with CTC, she does, so she should be funding the costs in the meantime, and then she can enjoy the lump sum back payment should she be entitled to one.

What happens if she isn't getting CTC as a result of her previous omissions? Do you not get paid either?

She is able to work because she is using childcare, she is getting paid for her job, you should be getting paid for doing yours!

Whilst you can sympathize with her predicament, you have been more than understanding and considerate, and now it's time for her to pay you.

You don't need the ncma to pursue through the small claims court, you can do that yourself, alternatively, contact your childcare insurer and see if they can help.

I think you need to write a formal letter and give this irresponsible selfish parent some additional time to pay - I think a week, then you have to write to her again giving her another 28 days whilst informing her that if she doesn't cough up you will take her to court, you can then file copies of communications and responses as your evidence

The time for being nicey nicey and communicating by text has passed, you need to do something far more proactive such as withholding care until paid in full

I think in your heart you already know this :rolleyes:
I know your right and its proberly going to come to either not getting any money or going to small claims to get it.....i just assumend as she is a friend she would pay like we agreed........i really dont like confrontation :(

Mcgons
20-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Hi,

I waited 3 weeks for someone to sort out their tax credits - I knew the reasons so was ok to wait a bit, but it was just before Christmas, so I had to say I needed to be paid the next week whether they had come though or not. The parent was going to use a credit card to pay me by withdrawing cash from it, knowing that when the tax credits came through, they could just pay it straight back. The fault was with tax credits - lots of errors on their behalf meant that the whole process kept getting delayed at each stage.

I would say dont let it go on any longer. Hope you manage to sort it out!

adele1985
20-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I waited 3 weeks for someone to sort out their tax credits - I knew the reasons so was ok to wait a bit, but it was just before Christmas, so I had to say I needed to be paid the next week whether they had come though or not. The parent was going to use a credit card to pay me by withdrawing cash from it, knowing that when the tax credits came through, they could just pay it straight back. The fault was with tax credits - lots of errors on their behalf meant that the whole process kept getting delayed at each stage.

I would say dont let it go on any longer. Hope you manage to sort it out!

to be fair to my parent TC do seem to be making lots of errors ect I do feel for her but at the same time the more time goes past the more im doubting that im going to get any money at all

Mcgons
20-02-2012, 02:27 PM
to be fair to my parent TC do seem to be making lots of errors ect I do feel for her but at the same time the more time goes past the more im doubting that im going to get any money at all

I suppose it depends on what she is entitled to receive but my parent got full tax credits and in the end the money came through before the end of the week I was expecting to be paid, and tax credits paid a lump sum of back pay so I got exactly what I was owed.

adele1985
20-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I suppose it depends on what she is entitled to receive but my parent got full tax credits and in the end the money came through before the end of the week I was expecting to be paid, and tax credits paid a lump sum of back pay so I got exactly what I was owed.

hopefully the money will come though by the end of the month as I really dont want to fall out with her

little chickee
20-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Its immaterial wheter tax credits are sorted or not - this parent is taking you for a ride.

I would not have agreed to wait for the tax credits in the first place, if a person wants me to cm their child they pay upfront - the tax credits will be back dated.

I really do think that this parent - friend or no friend - has to realise that you cannot continue to work without being paid - shes taking the mickey.

Put your business head on. what would you do if she was a "normal" customer and not a friend?

Write her a letter stating that she must bring her account up to date. She at least must start paying regular installments to get the debt caught up. Dont fanny about with small amounts either - I would be wanting the debt caught up within 4 weeks.

Then payment upfront each time or i would terminate.

If you lose you as a friend then so be it - a proper friend would not mess you about like this.

madmamma
20-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Look at this way, if she gets her TC and it's back paid (if it hasn't already been paid that is - but then I trust noone lol), it will only be upto a maximum of 70% of what she already owes you - £210 out of the £300 bill she's already racked up.
So what about the other £90 she will have already received from her wages.... Where's that??

As you were kind/daft enough to agree to wait till she had her tax credits, at the very least she should have been overly forthcoming about paying the other 30%, which she hasn't done as yet either!

How much is it going to be by the end of this month? You are currently working for nothing - can you honestly continue to do this?

Helping someone out is one thing, being taken for a mug is something totally different, and worse as she's meant to be a friend

stargazer1
21-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Why not just send her a text saying "I don't want to be a nuisance but as the situation is dragging on, non payment is starting to cause a problem. As the most TC will pay is 70%, could you start paying me the 30% that you are going to have to pay anyway". I know its still going to mean she owes you £300 plus the 70% every week but at least you will be getting something, and she really is going to have to pay that 30%, maybe more, every week herself. I'm very much of the "benefit of the doubt" mindset, especially with friends, but maybe I'm too soft.!!!