PDA

View Full Version : variation for 2 under 1's

Bluebell
19-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi
As i understand it if you ask for a variation for an extra EY child you have to be already minding this child or his/her sibling - that is, applying for 'continuation of care'.
BUT if you are applying to have 2 under 1's - but still keeping within your limits of the 3 under 5's you do not have to be applying to provide continuity of care but you do have to demonstrate your capabilities of providing care for 2 under ones. AS BELOW:

Maximum number of children in the early years age1 range – The
EYFS statutory framework sets a normal maximum of 3 children in the early
years age range. However it allows children aged four and five who are in
full time education to be counted as over the age of five for the purposes of
ratios. We will only allow this maximum to be exceeded where one child
from the family is already minded by you or to preserve continuity of care of
a currently minded child. You should complete the grid carefully and ensure
you complete section D (see section D guidance for further information).

 Maximum number of children under the age of one – Normally a
provider can only care for 1 child under the age of one. However if you can
demonstrate that you can meet the needs of all children in your care we can
allow a maximum of 2 children under one. When making your request you
should focus on what steps you have taken to meet the needs of children.
We would not usually allow more than 2 children under the age of one.

If I have an 11 month old and another under 1 applying to start at around the same time do you think that Ofsted would consider a variation for this - it will only be a month of the child turning one. Would I need to demonstrate the urgent need both these parents have or just that I am able to give good care and have adaquate equipment - like double pushchair, cots and highchair?? getting myself in real pickle over requests for care from parents of 2 under 1's that won;t be able to get care for their requirements from anyone else - everyone else already has variations for 4 under 5's or are full with their 3 children. I have space for 2 under 5's but just not 2 under 1's (obviously!)

QualityCare
19-02-2012, 04:08 PM
not sure, but its worth a try, as it sounds as both children will be starting at the same time and they could say you wouldn't be able to settle both adequately, have you had settling in periods or have you time to do some with both children separately and together put this down as well.

Rosy Days
19-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi, think you will be fine, I applied for a variation for 2 under 1's and, like you say, I just had to demonstrate how I would care for them etc. They granted it within 2 weeks of requesting it no problem. Especially as one of your under 1's is nearly 1 anyway, I don't think it will be a problem for you. :)

Bluebell
19-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks Rosy days x

shazza06
02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I`m totally confused as just spoke to OFSTED about getting a variation for 2 under 1`s from may for two days pw for two months only and theyve said theyre unlikely to approve my variation as its new business and not a sibling!! [ i currently have one baby who will be one end june and new baby will be 8 months old [friend of childminder parent] but the issue i have here is that theyve given me variations twice before no problem!!! do you think this woman was just a jobsworth inspector!!! i cant believe theyre doing this as it means i`ve lost out on work and already agreed with parents to start!! plus Im taking on an assistant from sept so i can take on sibling [ i will be only over my numbers by 1 ] theyve said it can take up to 12 weeks for the crb to come back and only then can i apply for a variation for additional numbers which can take 4 weeks!!! 4 months in total..the paretns are not going to be waiting around to find out whether i can have their child in sept still!!! they really dont make it helpful regarding gettiing work for childminders and want to make an official complaint !!! ive worked with kids for 25 years[ qualified N.N.e.B plus outstanding childminder ] and they wonder whether Im suitable..pleeeeease!!!! anybody got any advice please...why cant i apply for variation now and it goes active only upon getting the ok from assistant!!

buzzy bee
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I got one pretty easily but one of the children was my DS so I don't know if that made a difference. I'm sure if it's only for a month they should be ok. Just put as much info on there as you can! Good luck.

Mouse
02-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I`m totally confused as just spoke to OFSTED about getting a variation for 2 under 1`s from may for two days pw for two months only and theyve said theyre unlikely to approve my variation as its new business and not a sibling!! [ i currently have one baby who will be one end june and new baby will be 8 months old [friend of childminder parent] but the issue i have here is that theyve given me variations twice before no problem!!! do you think this woman was just a jobsworth inspector!!! i cant believe theyre doing this as it means i`ve lost out on work and already agreed with parents to start!! plus Im taking on an assistant from sept so i can take on sibling [ i will be only over my numbers by 1 ] theyve said it can take up to 12 weeks for the crb to come back and only then can i apply for a variation for additional numbers which can take 4 weeks!!! 4 months in total..the paretns are not going to be waiting around to find out whether i can have their child in sept still!!! they really dont make it helpful regarding gettiing work for childminders and want to make an official complaint !!! ive worked with kids for 25 years[ qualified N.N.e.B plus outstanding childminder ] and they wonder whether Im suitable..pleeeeease!!!! anybody got any advice please...why cant i apply for variation now and it goes active only upon getting the ok from assistant!!

Would your variation for 2 under 1s keep you within the maximum number of children you're registered for, or would it put you over your EY numbers?

Unfortunately, depending who you speak to at Ofsted, they don't always know what they're talking about :rolleyes:

If it's just for 2 under 1s and you'd still be within your numbers I can't see why they would dismiss it over the phone. That sort of variation is generally quite straight forward as long as you can demonstrate you can care for 2 of that age. Once you have the variation for 2 under 1s it generally stays on your certificate and isn't child specific.

If you also needed a variation to allow 4 in the EY age group then I can see they wouldn't do it as it's new business.

I'd phone back and speak to someone else.

miffy
02-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Agree with Mouse but check the wording on your certificate because if you've had a variation for two under ones before then it should still stand.

Miffy xx

shazza06
05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I already have on under 1yr that started back in sept so dont have to settle both , I had two variations done a while ago but for different children and i think it was named, not sure, do you think i could carry on using that variation? even though its different children, now getting myself in a pickle as told mother it wouldnt be a problem and they start after Easter and then after all that...I need to apply for an assistant and get another variation for an additional sibling from sept !!! OfSTED are sooo confusing

miffy
05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
I already have on under 1yr that started back in sept so dont have to settle both , I had two variations done a while ago but for different children and i think it was named, not sure, do you think i could carry on using that variation? even though its different children, now getting myself in a pickle as told mother it wouldnt be a problem and they start after Easter and then after all that...I need to apply for an assistant and get another variation for an additional sibling from sept !!! OfSTED are sooo confusing

What does it say on your certificate? If a variation is for a named child it cannot be used for a different child. If you're in any doubt ring Ofsted for clarification.

Miffy xx

chez
05-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Called to ask for the paperwork to be sent to me to add another eyfs child one day a week which will be new business but been told its extreamly unlikely that Id get it, disappointing as I know other CMs have been given it local to me and thats been new business too.

miffy
05-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Called to ask for the paperwork to be sent to me to add another eyfs child one day a week which will be new business but been told its extreamly unlikely that Id get it, disappointing as I know other CMs have been given it local to me and thats been new business too.

Any chance you can start the child on a different day (where you have a space) and then apply for a variation for the other day - that way it would be continuity of care.

Miffy xx

chez
05-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Well he orgionally wants Mon Wed and fri but parents are able to sort the wed short term which is my problem day.
So if I start him the other 2 then I could apply for variation for the wednesday.