PDA

View Full Version : Chickenpox Question?

Amyathome
19-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Hello,
I'm sure someone out there can help me. Over the last week my eldest son has had chickenpox not been really ill just covered in spots - as I had older children who had both had it I carried on working. My youngest hasn't come down with it yet but I'm sure its just a matter of time.

I'm just about to start a new child 15 months who hasn't had it. I don't feel that I should close as my youngest isn't ill or showing signs of it yet but the mum is understandably anxious as has a holiday the first week in March which involves flying.

How would you play this?

At the moment I've left it that as my youngest isn't ill I'll still be charging if she sends her son or not - I feel really bad though as she has to take time off work if I can't look after her son

Any thoughts please?

Thanks Amy

blue bear
19-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Your child may never get it you can't close just incase it's just the way it is with children sometimes. I'd charge or if new child not started yet maybe put back the start day until after the holiday?

jojobell
19-02-2012, 03:55 PM
thats really dificult, i can understand y shes anxoius but at the same time hes not ill yet. i guess one way of looking at it is that shcools and nurseys stay open and dont exclude well children that have been in contact! sorry cnt be of more help really tricky............. when my son got it i just cut my losses and closed so it wouldnt keep reoccoring!!

QualityCare
19-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Your eldest was infectious 3 days before first spot appeared if all spots are crusted over he is no longer infectious, your youngest has up to 20 days from 1st day of eldest being infectious to get it and the cycle starts again with new mindee, if your eldest is still infectious then you should be closing, my two didn't get it at the same time even though they are close in age and would often sleep in the same bed (through choice) is there no-one that can have the new mindee (family or back up minder) until the holiday and contract starts then, I do think it would be unfair to charge the mum as she may have to take unpaid leave and her child could come down with it while they are away.

Amyathome
21-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Thanks for your replies. I've been advised by my local childminding association to charge half as my son isn't actually ill and its only because of the holiday she is so concerned. And as you so rightly point out nurseries and schools don't exclude until spots appear.

xx

miffy
21-02-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't really understand why you've been advised to charge only half fees - your youngest child isn't ill and you are open for business so full fees should apply.

I understand the parent's concerns but it is her choice whether to send her child or not and it seems unfair that you should be worse off financially.

Miffy xx