PDA

View Full Version : no school runs

lucyD
19-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Wondering if anyone else DOESN'T do school runs? & if it effects their business. I have a small car (micra) & looks like there is no way a double buggy will fit in the boot, the local school is within walking distance but could not do any further afield! TBH I dont fancy doing them anyway as want to concerntrate on under 5's & dont want to have to haul everyone out to do it twice a day in all weathers when we can play lol

Can I ask what experiences you all have? I am trying to promote it as a plus point to mums with under 5's rather than a negative!! I only reg a few weeks ago & had 5 enquiries. Meeting one mum tues but luckily she wont need schools but just thinking ahead.

Cheers ma dears :)

Loushah
19-02-2012, 03:51 PM
TBH I would love not to have to do the school runs I currently do as it 20 - 30 minute trip to get there depending on traffic, however, I have been getting no enquiries locally as the schools offer cheap before / after school clubs and I could not afford to give them up as I have two boys of my own under 5 :(

It's not that I don't like the older children as I have really enjoyed the school holidays with the older children, it's just a lot of messing about with the little ones.

FussyElmo
19-02-2012, 05:11 PM
I do school runs because my children are at school so I have to go regardless.

Sell it a positive by all means but what if a mindee has been with you for 3 years and then starts school would you give notice so be careful how you word it so in years to come you wont have to backtrack :)

kellib
19-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I would love not to do school runs, sadly I have to as my son is only 6! He's the only one I have to do them for :laughing:

lucyD
19-02-2012, 06:02 PM
yes thats true will have to word it well, am happy to do them if little ones can walk as wont need buggy, its just that I cant justify buying a new car just for childminding, guess I have to play it by ear & see what I get & how I can juggle it!! Thanks :(

melco
19-02-2012, 10:05 PM
The problem I see is if a parent contacts you who have say a 3yr old who has a brother or sister in school that they need a childminder to do the school run. If you don't offer that service you may lose out on 2 children. One of my main reasons for choosing a childminder myself was because I didn't have to take one child to pre-school/school and then take another child to nursery. Also will you be offering to take and pick up children from pre-school? I am not saying you have to do the school run, but I just think these are things that you should think about before you make a decision.

HTH

Mel x

lucyD
20-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Hi Mel, I def know what you are saying as I had a mum with 1 & 3 yr old, wanted me to drop/pick up from pre-school & I agreed (she is still looking at all possibilities so no got got back to me :(). BUT its not that I am totally against if i need to do it make a living, its just that I literally cannot find a double buggy small enough. I guess I will have to have reins & carry if I need to!!!

lauren1979
20-02-2012, 07:45 AM
I don't so runs as my son goes on a bus to school so I do his run at 8 and 4, doing another one at 9 and 3 and dragging the kids back and forth would be too much for me and them!

I like working with the EYFS age range too, and want to keep my sons, 3 and 4, as the eldest and therefore the kind of 'kings of their castle!'.

Mollymop
20-02-2012, 07:48 AM
I have to do school runs because of my own dd, she is nearly 8 so hopefully in a few years I don't have to do them either! :)
My friend on here doesn't do any school runs and it works out well for her.

I always seem to get the older children who have to go to Pre-school though, so I don't know if I could manage it but it would be nice in the future. x

marian
20-02-2012, 08:39 AM
I dont!:clapping:

I used to, but as soon as my youngest went to secondary school I stopped.

I always let parents know at initial meeting and to be honest most are relived that their LO wont be dragged out in all weathers / woken up etc to go on 'the run'

I may consider it if circumstances change but would only do within walking distance, as my kids school used to be a car ride away which was a nightmare with traffic, parking etc

Marian x

hollyvilla
20-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I have not done any school or nursery runs for the last 8 years. I like to concentrate on the under 5s and so far this has not been a great problem. The before and after school clubs tend to cater for the school age children around here and children often leave for nursery around the age of 4. I love the feeling on a really hot or cold day of not having to take myself and 3 toddlers out, we can do what we want and our day is less fragmented. Good luck!

mushpea
20-02-2012, 08:47 AM
I have done school runs for the past 5yrs and think its nice to get out once or twice a day just for the adult chat but having said that I find the schoolies a lot harder to please and now that I only have one schoolie twice a week I certainly dont miss all the bickering !
I am not looking for schoolies anymore but if they came along I dont think I would turn them away especialy if it meant having a younger sibbling and I do think it would be nice for my one schoolie to have some company her own age instead of having me as a playmate poor girl :laughing:

Helen Dempster
20-02-2012, 09:29 AM
I absolutely HATE having to do school runs, but like someone else said, I have my own child in Year 1 so am going to the school anyway. I find it a bit of a nightmare though, as I have to wait in the car for about 40mins with 3 (sometimes 4) children, while waiting for the eldest one to come out and there's not enough time for me to go back home again. If I had the choice, I definitely wouldn't do them :)

PixiePetal
20-02-2012, 09:35 AM
I haven't done school runs since my DS left primary school.

I love to work with the tinies and wanted to be home when my children came home from high school.

I don't drive and now live too far from any schools anyway :)

snufflepuff
20-02-2012, 09:40 AM
I don't do school runs.
I did for about six months in my first year of minding and hated every minute. My son has asthma and taking him out in the rain/ damp would make his asthma really bad....he would still be wheezy at lunch time most days. His health comes first so I gave notice.
I may do school runs when DS starts school next September. That's if I come back to minding after this baby is born!

melco
20-02-2012, 10:35 AM
Blimey I didn't know that there was so many childminders that do not do the school runs. I don't know what I would have done if my childminder didn't as I don't drive and used to start work at 8.30am so I would not have had the time to drop my children in 2 different places. I will have to do school run anyway as have a 5 & 7yr old I take to school, maybe I will feel differently after I have done it for a few years!!

Mel x

cupcake22
20-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I dont do school runs or nursery drop off & pick ups. Did when mine were little but now they are all grown up & at work. I don't miss it one bit lol.

Cupcake22

mama2three
20-02-2012, 01:43 PM
I know Im a bit odd but I quite like the school runs!
I have to go for ds - and have no afterschoolies - but I like the structure it gives my day and I like the adult interaction just for a few minutes a couple of times a day. I hardly ever drive , just use thr double or triple buggy depending which little ones I have. It gets us all out in the fresh air even on days when the weather is miserable and we may otherwise stay at home!

Penny1959
20-02-2012, 01:53 PM
I now don't do school runs - and at the moment don't do nuresry runs either. All my parents are aware of this and see it as an advntage. Of course their views may change once their children are ready to go to school - we shall see.

I find I fit far more into the day now - especially the afternoon - and we do go out most days for a walk - but we can do it hen we want to - and can choose where to go and if a short local walk or a longer walk.

Penny :)

lucyD
20-02-2012, 02:18 PM
thanks for all your replies, nice to see I am not on my own here!! Feel like I may feel pressurised to do them to get business but I must hold out for the littlies as its really not practical for me

pinky33
20-02-2012, 04:11 PM
We look after under 3's only.
Have 6 every day and it's been our unique selling point. Parents are happy that they will get great quality care for the first 3 years then have to use a nursery for preparation for school.

It's worked well for us, all have started as small babies and then taken the natural next step into a bigger group setting, we prepare them for this from age 2 upwards and they look forward to starting nursery (our local nursery has a after school and holiday club).

We have never had a parent not sign up with us and we run a waiting list for pregnant mummies :)

janminder
20-02-2012, 06:46 PM
I do school runs as it became continuity of care, still have a 14 year old for breakfast and tea who makes own way to secondary school but has been with me since 4 months old, a 10 year old year 5 who has been with me since 5 months old and a year 1 who I took to the school nursery at 3 years. And have 3 others who have come to me after starting school year 3, 4 and 5 so I think it will be a while before I can give up the school run. Generally I don't mind unless its pouring down with rain as don't drive.