PDA

View Full Version : In need of HELP with Separation Anxiety

Georgina20
18-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Can anyone give me some pointers with dealing with a child of 13months with separation anxiety. :(your experiences, or helpful sites or books......the info found so far somewhat contradicts the other. Please help! thank you:)

blue bear
19-02-2012, 10:38 AM
Really depends on the child, parent and childminder.
I can't stand leaving a child to sit and scream, I've seen others do it and yes children do eventually get over it and play happily at some point.
Me I start carrying them, sitting g on my knee, next to me, little but away and eventually once confidence is built baby settles and plays. Sounds simple but its really hard work and can take weeks. Sometimes sitting strapped into baby car seat or pushchair watching everyone can give the lo some security.

QualityCare
19-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Totally agree with fi fi

Rosy Days
19-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Hi, I agree as well, try to gradually build up baby's confidence. If you have to leave the room, which you most probably will do, I try singing so they can hear me, keep popping my head around the door so I am not out of sight for long, if I know I am going to be in kitchen for a while ie. whilst preparing lunch I will just pop them in pushchair and sit them at the door so they can see me.

Familiar toys from home, favourite teddy or blanket, music box etc, also photos of mummy, daddy, siblings etc that you can look at together, something of mums, ie scarf that has her smell on it.

Just try different things, I know it seems like an eternity when they have this anxiety but it will get better. Hope the above helps. xx

christine e
19-02-2012, 04:31 PM
I had a little one a few years ago and the only thing that would settle him was a dvd from home and whilst I really don't like sitting a little one if front of TV it did work and then I gradually weaned him off it. I would go down the road of him/hr bringing things from home, cup, blanket, teddy and just persevere

Cx

guest3
24-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Try to gradually build up baby's confidence. If you have to leave the room, which you most probably will do, I try singing so they can hear me, keep popping my head around the door so I am not out of sight for long, if I know I am going to be in kitchen for a while ie. whilst preparing lunch I will just pop them in pushchair and sit them at the door so they can see me.

Familiar toys from home, favourite teddy or blanket, music box etc, also photos of mummy, daddy, siblings etc that you can look at together, something of mums, ie scarf that has her smell on it.

Just try different things, I know it seems like an eternity when they have this anxiety but it will get better. Hope the above helps. xx

I've tried all these things and my lo (13 months) tries to climb out of the highchair or pushchair (she is strapped in safely btw) When she finds she can't get out, she screams even louder! :(

EmmaReed84
24-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I would talk to parents and have a set routine for drop off and collection. Get the parents to do their cuddles and kisses before they leave to come to yours, so there is little fuss. Even if it handing the child over at the door and you waving bye bye, having a phrase you say each day. Bring the child in, I always found mirrors helped for some reason, I would take the child over and look in the mirror and say who they are, who I am and what we were about to do. Talking all the time to them about what is happening and such, not talking about the crying or feeling sad and basically not giving any attention to the crying but still giving the child attention if that makes sense.

I would also make sure that collection is swift as well no waiting around and keep the routine going, LO will eventually know how things work and should calm down... SHOULD LOL