PDA

View Full Version : Charging for pick up and drop off.

Jelly Baby
17-02-2012, 03:43 PM
I had a mindee start in Sept. The hours were agreed by text and the fees but on the day of contract the mum said she would need pick up and collection of her child. I was grateful of the hours etc and kept the fees stupidly the same. The house is no where near me (the opposite side of our town) and a pain on 2 of the 3 days i do.

This wasn't an issue till last week when her sister joined me with her child and i have said i will have to charge her fuel as collecting and dropping which is fine by the mum. However being related i can't charge one and nbot the other, also have noticed the hassle and fuel difference so am going to tell this other mum im charging fuel.

So days 1 & 2 are half days but she gets charged full days as i cant fill the space which is fine with her and day 3 is a full day so was thinking ide just charge fuel for one day not all 3? opinions? dont want to lose her and know she struggles a bit now.

Do you charge and how much

thanks

Tatjana
17-02-2012, 03:57 PM
I would not charge the original client for fuel for any of the days if she was paying me 2 full days but only using half of those 2 days a week.

Personally I do not charge full days for someone wanting half a day, it's not their 'fault' you can't fill the other hours and it's our choice who we take on. I just think it's unfair.

aly
17-02-2012, 04:00 PM
you cannot charge fuel, as you will be classed as a taxi will be taxed etc as a taxi, instead you can incorporate it into your fees.

Tups
17-02-2012, 05:04 PM
I pick up from home and take to school then pick up at school and take back home every day, I charge £75 aweek my petrol is £20 aweek,

caz3007
17-02-2012, 06:06 PM
I wouldnt charge the extra if I was being paid a full day for half a day. But then I wouldnt charge to fill a whole day, they would pay my hourly rate and thats it.

I would explain to the first parent that you dont charge her for the pick ups as she already pays for a full day if thats what you decide.

flowerpots
17-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't change it once agreed a fee, I would just explain to 1st parent the reason you dont charge for drop offs/ collections is because she uses half days but pays for full. :)

rickysmiths
17-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I have stated with regard to fees that they will not normally increase more that once every two years unless something changes to affect my costs. I would say with the rise in petrol food etc you may be able to justify an increase in your hourly rate. This will then help cover the cost of the petrol etc.

It is for these reasons and many more that I have listed on other threads that i will never agree to collect and deliver children on a regular basis. I am a childminder not a taxi service and parents bring their children to me and collect them from me.

Jelly Baby
18-02-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi thanks for the replys.

Unfortunatly i was out all day and havent looked at this till now. I have done a letter saying i will charge for one day out of the 3 not sure how it will go down yet.

Reason i did it is trying to make it simple.

Mhe mum of the mum text me the hours before lo started and they were fine. It wasn't until AFTER we had signed the contract that the mum told me actually the child needed to be collected and dropped, i needed the work and said ok not thinking much of it. Not only does this add to my fuel but the fact that my hours have gone up by an extra hour a day as mum needs time to walk to and from work. So my 10am start is now 930 amd my 2pm finish 230pm, my 530pm is now 6 etc..like i said too it is a hassle as i on 2 of the days either loiter for 25 mins each morning as passing the house or have to drive home and wait then leave again which is a pain gettting the kids i have in and out.

Anyway will see what she says. like i said her sister is paying more for this reason so not fair to do it for one and not the other.