PDA

View Full Version : Occasional Lateness

handeme
17-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Do you charge for it? My mindees mum is stuck on the motorway, pick up was supposed to be three and she's not here yet. I do feel a bit mean charging because she has been off ill her last two sessions so I have been paid for them and she hasn't been here.

C x

Velleity
17-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Yeah I wouldn't charge her personally.

Jiorjiina
17-02-2012, 03:43 PM
If it's something sudden and not the parent's fault (i.e stuck in traffic due to an accident), then no, I don't charge as long as they let me know what's going on.

danielly124
17-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Defo charge as I never used to and Found some of my parents take advantage of me before I didnt xxx

handeme
17-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I was thinking of not doing so this time but if it becomes a regular thing then I will.

Thanks

PixiePetal
17-02-2012, 03:54 PM
It is nothing to do with the days off she has had - keep that separate but as long as parents let me know it is usually not a problem and no extra charge.

If it was a persistent thing I would call a quick meeting and discuss altering times.

My parents have all been very considerate (well except one in the way distant past - supply teacher, occasional care week at a time - who booked me to finish at the time she was finishing work so always 20 mins+ late with travel! She did not like it when I charged :rolleyes:)

WibbleWobble
17-02-2012, 04:08 PM
my lot are great at being here on time.

last month there was a big crash in town and all my parents got stuck on the wrong side. they all called me and picked up 30 mins late. i didnt charge as it wasnt their faults....

last week i was looking after 2 LOS whos mum and dad were at grandads fun eral - they were a bit late as the dad had got very drunk and mum was struggling to get him to leave the wake, she eventually left him there and came for the kids. again i didnt charge (actually i didnt charge for the time they were here- i saw it as a gift- softy eh?)

but if this was a persistant lateness thing then i would start charging.

Ripeberry
17-02-2012, 04:12 PM
One of my mums is a teacher and is often late. But she always has a funny excuse and I just can't charge (only 10 mins or so). Latest stories have been getting locked in the school and not being able to get out.
Forgetting where she parked the car and the best one, a lorry was going round the roundabout the wrong way and caused a huge traffic jam! :laughing:

sillybeans
17-02-2012, 04:16 PM
I have late charges in the contract but if she hasn't been late in the last say 2/3 months, I wouldn't charge.

As long as it is a very rare thing and the parent keeps me informed I don't charge. I do let them know (in a nice way of course :blush:) that as it is a one off, I won't charge them the late fee.

Tink
17-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I only charge if they have not let me know:thumbsup:

wendywu
17-02-2012, 04:55 PM
No i dont charge, i feel this breeds goodwill.

On the other hand if someone cannot ever make it on time then i just alter the contracted times. :)

Mouse
17-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I don't charge if I think it is a genuine, unavoidable lateness. A few weeks ago there was a problem with the buses and one of my mums phoned to say she was still at the bus stop and didn't think she'd get to me on time. She was about an hour late, but I didn't charge.

On the other hand, I had a dad who was regularly late. No phone call, no apology...he got charged!

Tealady
17-02-2012, 05:14 PM
I feel mean. I will always charge. My current parents have contracted me right up until more or less the minute they know they will get here. Dad is often late so anything over 5 mins I will charge regardless of reason.

However, previous parents have factored in 15mins extra as a cushion, on the rare occurance of them being late I never charged.

If the family are new I'd wack them with the charges to prevent late pick-ups creeping in, however if they have been with you a while and it never been late I'd cut them some slack.

caz3007
17-02-2012, 06:02 PM
My parents have always been good with me, no problems at all, so I wouldnt charge. If they started taking the mickey, then it would be a different matter. I had a mum who got stuck on a train cos someone had a heart attack and they had to wait for the ambulance, she was worried, but it wasnt her fault, it was a one off and she let me know the problem

miffy
17-02-2012, 07:26 PM
If mum is usually on time and she is late because of something she has no control over then I would not charge - a little goodwill can go a long way :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

fionamadcat
17-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't charge if 1 off, I have a set of parents who are occasionally a little late but they always text and are so apologetic when they arrive that I would feel bad, they got stuck on the wrong side of the tay road bridge in December's big storm and wanted to pay me extra but I wouldn't take anything (they were 3 hrs late!), it wasn't their fault and they gave me regular updates as to where they were. On the other hand I have 1 mum who seems to think that 6 means she can book a taxi to pick her up at 6 from her house so she won't get here till 6.15, she has been told if it happens again she's getting charged.