PDA

View Full Version : Medication and the consent form - how to word?

vix84
25-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Im redoing all my policies and display folder so that it is to the EYFS and have used the Bromley site for help with forms etc.
From there I came accross the policy of mediaction - I appreciate that some children need non- prescription medicine on a regular basis, for example if they are teething. The Welfare Requirements stipulate that only prescription medication should be administered in a setting. I am however willing to consider giving your child non-prescribed medication, such as cough mixture, Calpol or nurofen, teething gel etc, but only if you have signed a parental permission form for me to do so and if the child really needs it. I do not wish to see a child suffer unnecessarily. I would ask that parents contact their GP and arrange for these medications to be given on prescription if possible.

So was going to incorporate the same to get around the giving of teething gel etc. but how do you word the permission form?
I give permission for my Childminder to give non-prescribed teething gel/calpol on the occasion where I have not managed to get prescribed medication.....?

Is anyone else going this? Or are you sticking strictly to only giving Calpol etc. if it is prescribed? And making sure you have a bottle prescribed by there doctor, as well as a permission form to administer the previously prescribed medicine incase you cannot contact the parents?

mrsb
25-05-2008, 05:55 PM
someoen else was talking about this on here the other day, because the calpol etc is "prescribed" by a pharmacist at boots etc because it is bought fo mbehind the counter then it is fine to use and treated as a prescribed medicine :)

ajs
25-05-2008, 07:18 PM
at an eyfs welfare requirements training i was at the other day.

the trainer said ( and shhhh you haven't heard this from me)

that if you put on your permission slips a tick list asking parents to state where they got the medication from
ie
dr
pharmacist
supermarket
try and encourage them to tick pharmacist as that is considered prescribed for the individual child and ofsted are not going to know if the parent is bending the truth a little are they

vix84
25-05-2008, 07:35 PM
:) So basically, the parents should go to a pharmacist and say there child is teething/got a cough/temperature - can they recommend anything, and they say 'oh yes this Calpol/teething gel is good' it is then classed as prescribed:clapping:

So would it be safer to just say in policy 'I only give prescribed medication' rather than putting in 'as I would not like to see a childs welfare in jeopardy, or a child in pain, I will administer non-prescribed medication such as teething gel, but If this becomes a regular occurrence, then I will ask that you ask your doctor to prescribe the teething gel for future use'.

I wonder if Ofsted would tell me off for including in the policy that I will administer non-prescription meds. so I just shouldnt include it in policy.

miffy
25-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I agree with Mandy - that's what we were told - a little wheeze to get you round the regulations

miffy xx

mrsb
25-05-2008, 08:10 PM
:) So basically, the parents should go to a pharmacist and say there child is teething/got a cough/temperature - can they recommend anything, and they say 'oh yes this Calpol/teething gel is good' it is then classed as prescribed:clapping:

So would it be safer to just say in policy 'I only give prescribed medication' rather than putting in 'as I would not like to see a childs welfare in jeopardy, or a child in pain, I will administer non-prescribed medication such as teething gel, but If this becomes a regular occurrence, then I will ask that you ask your doctor to prescribe the teething gel for future use'.

I wonder if Ofsted would tell me off for including in the policy that I will administer non-prescription meds. so I just shouldnt include it in policy.yes I would just put that too :)

ajs
25-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I agree with Mandy - that's what we were told - a little wheeze to get you round the regulations

miffy xx

i'm glad you understood it to be the same as i did miffy, i was wondering if i'd heard wrong

vix84
26-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Have just realised that they have now revised the section in EYFS so that we can give non-prescribed medication, aslong as it doesnt contain asprin (that has to be prescribed) Was looking at the dfes website and came accross the bit where they have revised the EYFS wording etc.

So no need to redo the medicine forms etc:clapping:

There is more info in the thread at top of page - the long read one, this is where I got my info. there is a letter and also a table changes that may be handy to print off.
I expect this is all in the thread before, but I havent had a chance to read through it all yet!

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/