PDA

View Full Version : books on display

SYLVIA
15-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Roughly how many books do you have on display that children can help themselves to? I have two shelves of a book case that they have access to but I'm finding that the books are being taken off and just left ll over the floor. Then stepped on and torn. It's not been a problem before but I'm wondering if I could just put a few out each day so the rest stay in good condition

Mouse
15-02-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a small bookcase that holds about 15 books. I select books suitable for the children I have. At the moment they are all young, so I have mainly board books. If I have older children I put out paper books.

I find a dozen or so books is more than enough. There's enough for them to be able to chose from, but not an overwhelming amount that gives them too much choice.

Apart from that, we have 2 large bookcases in the hall & I will supervise the children chosing books from there.

miffy
15-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I have a bookcase full of books for the children but I do find, like you, that sometimes books are just taken out and left lying about so now I've started putting a few books in a box or basket. TBH that doesn't always work any better, it depends which children are here.

Miffy xx

jumping j
16-02-2012, 07:23 AM
I currently have a 3 shelved 'nursery' bookcase with quite a large range of books on for different ages, but after having 5 children from 6 months - 5 years over half term, I'm thinking of putting the books for the older children into baskets/boxes and only getting them out when the older ones are here. I've spent most of my evenings picking up and 'sorting' books this week luckily none of them have been damaged yet!!

Mollymop
16-02-2012, 07:59 AM
I have a small 3 shelf bookshelf full to the rim (I love books!!) the children often take books out, but i have asked them to make sure they take 1 at a time and put them back before they get another one. They are pretty good though they need reminding sometimes:thumbsup:

muffins
16-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I have a box of about 2 dozen books for the younger ones in the play roon to help themselves to, and the other books (reading) books are on a shelf visable but not reachable so they have to ask for them!

This works well as the younger ones can get as many books out as they like & are able to put them away easily. The books in the box are all second hand fromn sales or second hand shops so I dont mind so much if they get torn or even eaten by the v little one so much!:rolleyes:

SYLVIA
16-02-2012, 09:09 AM
thanks for the replies. I have come to the conclusion that I have a rough bunch in at the moment as this has happened before in the past 15 years. Think I'll remove some and leave a few that are not so precious to me. Thanks again

julie w
16-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I had loads of books out but my DO said I had too many out. So i put about 7 or 8 on a book stand every day and the children seem to get more out of having less to choose from . If that makes sense. Not so overwhelming I think. x