PDA

View Full Version : EYFS teacher starting childminding

val555
15-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi,
I am an EYFS Teacher who is seriously considering childminding
as a new career. I wondered if there were any other ex teachers out there
who would be willing to relay their experiences, both good and bad- I want to make an informed decision. Many thanks

jumping j
16-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Hi I worked in a private school with EYFS all the way up to Year 8, abroad with key stage 2 and in a state school with KS 1 and 2 and when I started I loved it.
I made the change a year and a half ago because I became sick of the long hours, leaving at 7am not getting in til after 6, it was a 45 min journey to the school I was working at and jumping through all the paper work hoops, the school had gone through Ofsted just before I joined them and been put on special measures so there was a lot of target setting and positive commenting, stickers, monitoring level progress etc.
At the same time my sister in law was really struggling for childcare, several bad experiences in a local day care had put her off. So I went part time and had my niece and nephew, then 2 friends, at the same day care, asked if I'd have their lo's too.
I haven't looked back!
I do miss the 'holidays' but at the same time, I'm home during the day, once the paperwork is set up it's relatively easy to keep up to date with it and I love the freedom of 'doing what I want' with the children, I can go with the flow and follow what interests them, rather than trying to keep them on a certain track in order to hit set targets.
The targets are still there but the children can meet them in their time not Ofsted or school's time.
I'd suggest looking at supply and demand in your area, there are a lot of childminders in my area so if it wasn't for my 2 friends and SIL I'd be struggling for lo's and money!!:laughing: and I know there are more setting up and struggling to find lo's.
There seem to be quite a few ex teachers who have moved into childminding and childminders who have moved into teaching and there's a few other posts on the forum with people's experiences
Good Luck in your decisions

greenfields
16-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Hi Val,
I have worked in as a primary school teacher, speciailising in the early years. My experiences teaching have led me to believe that teaching isn't about the children - it's about spending more time in a file than spending time with the children! Worthless paperwork, meeting targets and results, working in the evenings and weekends (at home planning) was getting to me!

I'm not (quite) registered yet but shouldn't be long now. I don't think anyone can give you advice as such because, as Jumping Jax says, it'll depend on your experiences in your area - demand etc. But I am looking forward to having the freedom to choose to do what is right for the children.

Good luck, keep us updated with your decisions.