PDA

View Full Version : Should a 2 year old be able to take their shoes off?

buzzy bee
15-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Mindee is 27 months and can't take their shoes off. This isn't the only thing... I've posted on here about other things such as jerky uncontrolled walking and movement in general. Have mentioned to mum a few times but she doesn't think there's a problem.

He generally doesn't seem to be very strong, and struggles to even pull the velcro off his shoes. Just wondering if I should be concerned?

rosebud
15-02-2012, 04:22 PM
I don't think its a problem on its own, I have a 27 month old and he can't do his velcro trainers either. Keep an eye on it if its a number of different things causing concern though.

Dragonfly
15-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I dont think its a problem. all children vary and what one 2 year old can do another 3 year old cant.I would just keep encouraging him to have a go, usually the young ones like to copy the older ones.
Just keep an eye on his jerky movements. could always get advice from the health vistor/doctor (the parents that is).

francinejayne
15-02-2012, 07:35 PM
the 30 month old I care for has just mastered unzipping his coat, he has yet to master his shoes! I am not concerned!

all children do things differently and at different stages

buzzy bee
15-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I think if it was just the shoes I probably wouldn't be concerned. It's all the other things aswell.

Mum has told me she asked the HV but they weren't concerned, so I'm not really sure what else I can do other than hope that when he starts preschool they pick it up then.

I do feel like that's passing the buck a bit, but I don't know what else I can do when I've told mum and she's apparently told HV.

Any ideas welcome!!

betty boop
15-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I would not worry I have one 2 year old that can and one that cant i also have a 3 year old who could take them off and put them on age 2, then theres my own dd age nine that still trys to tell me she cant but her own socks on yet seams to manage ok when I say I wont do it for her LOL

onceinabluemoon
15-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I would expect a child of between 17 and 20 months to be able to take their shoes off, although not necessarily by undoing the velcro. However as others have said they all progress at their own rates and if it was this on its own i wouldn't be concerned

However, you are clearly concerned about other aspects of this child's coordination / physical development as well so why not do a 'development check' on him. Look for things he can do as well as things he is working towards as note them down to keep in his file. Keep it positive, i.e. he is working towards taking his shoes off and can hold them/try hard/building up strength to pull/ whatever rather than he can't do it. You may be surprised and find he shines in one area and is slower in another, or it may point out to you that things need keeping an eye on.

Maybe think about buying a strip of velcro that he can have fun ripping apart and sticking back together again (you can buy it in sewing shops) and then transfer the skill to his shoes, play some balance and coordination games (for example walking on low walls safely while being supported, walking on ribbon snakes, catching a rolled football, etc)

Write it all out and keep in his file and do another check in 3-6 months or so. If you are still worried talk to mum again.

Does that help? It's what I would do with a LO I had concerns about. I'd trust my gut but be happy to be proved wrong.

mushpea
15-02-2012, 08:52 PM
my almost 2yrold mindee can take his shoes off, but only when he feels like it:laughing:, he can undo the zip on his coat and put his own coat on but only when he feels like it ! but I think it mainly because his parents do it for him at home and hes only here a couple of days.
I encourage all of them to be independant but parents seem to mother them and do stuff for them all the time so its two steps forward and several back!
I have had a 5yrold who couldnt do her zip up and it was only when I pointed out to mum that they wont do it at school and she will freeze outside that they stopped doing it for her and I have had a 6yrold who looked horrifyed when I gave her a knife to cut cherries up for the cakes we were baking,, it was a nomal dinner knife , not sharp but apparently she isnt allowed to use one at home incase she makes a mess:eek: goodness knows who cuts her food up during school dinners then:rolleyes:
all kids develop at different stages and ages so I wouldnt worry to much,, maybe note your concerns down so if the preschool do flag it up you can also back them up with your information.

kellib
15-02-2012, 09:16 PM
I have a 20 month old mindee who can take his shoes off and put them on again (socks too!) but I have another mindee who at 18 months I don't think he'd know what shoes were!

They're all different and will get there in their own time :thumbsup:

Zoomie
15-02-2012, 11:07 PM
My mindee was about 2y8m by the time he could get his shoes off. We are currently working on trying to get him to put them / his coat on. He is 3 now.

My other mindee mastered doing up his zip at 23m, and it suddenly occurred to me that DD (+1y) and another mindee (+18m) should also be able to do this, so we practiced for a few weeks and they both mastered it :)

They are all different.

sharons
16-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Ive have alittle one at 14 mths that can put their shoes on, where as another little one of 2 1/2 that can only put them on with a great deal of encouragement. So i believe it depends on the child.

Mollymop
16-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I have a 27 month old here and he can't take his shoes off either. He can undo the velcro but can't get the shoe/boots/wellies off just yet. x

loocyloo
16-02-2012, 01:43 PM
i have a 24 mth old who looks at me totally blankly when i suggest he might take his shoes/wellies off! he CAN sometimes put his coat on but only with masses of encouragement!

we do 'magic coats' here ... put coat on the floor with hood facing child, the child bends down and puts arms into sleeves, and as they stand up, flips coat over the head and woohoo! coat is on !!! found my just 12mth mindee trying earlier :D

PinkFairy24
16-02-2012, 02:22 PM
My dd who has just turned 2 has been putting her socks and shoes on since 18 months old. She loves the velcro shoes but was so unimpressed when she had a pair with buckles!! She is practising now with putting her coat on and can do the buttons but isn't concerned about the zip yet. She hates me doing anything for her and shouts "xxxxx do it!!".

On the other hand my 2 year old mindee who is 2 weeks older can't put his shoes on or his socks. He looks at me and shouts "you do it"!! I think he has everything done for him and I need to give him more encouragement and let him do it. I have had a word with mum as she sometimes feeds him and I have been trying so hard for the last few months to make him do it.

They all have to learn and I don't believe in making things harder for ourselves by doing things that they can do and will enjoy. My daughter is so proud when she masters something, I want my mindee to feel like that as well!

Xxx