PDA

View Full Version : Struggling to settle toddler - any advice welcome

Hayley102
15-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi
I have a 14month old starting 2 days a week. He has been for a number of visits and screams a lot - even when I pick him up! I have been able to distract him fr short periods but when I have tried to use same distractions on different visits they don't always work! I am worried he doesn't understand what is happening as English will be his second language. Any tips would be welcome. Thanks

sarah707
15-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Make sure he has some favourite toys in a little basket or bag.

he might feel more secure if he has something to look after from mum that she will collect when she picks him up... then he'll remember she is coming.

If he responds to picture books / pictures you could illustrate bits of his day for him and start teaching him the words.

I hope he settles soon :D

Hayley102
15-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks Sarah
He comes with some favourite toys from home but doesn't want them! and has mums jumper. I am trying to gather photos for a book - lost a lot when my computer crashed last month! Strangely he attached himself to my 9 year old daughter yesterday but in the end she had to remove herself as he wouldn't leave her alone (after 2 hours she had enough!). I don't know what to try when he gets worked up - pick him up or leave him in the same room, talking to him and encouraging him to play. Neither are successful!

Zoomie
15-02-2012, 10:59 PM
how long has mindee been coming?

Hayley102
16-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Only a month. I know its early days but haven't had one so unsettled before and running out of ideas!

sharons
16-02-2012, 09:07 AM
I had a little one like this I just put some really chilled out music in background and kept on chatting to little one in soft voice worked for me:thumbsup

LChurch
16-02-2012, 01:29 PM
My unsettled one is finally coming out of himself, only comes 1 day a week which doesn't help and if ill on those days makes it even longer! Have discovered music really helps to settle, have actually had some laughter at the lunch table today. Finally getting there but it takes time!

Hayley102
16-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks - I will try music next week. Feel so sorry for him and the others as they don't get the same level of service while I am trying to settle him. Lets hope it isn't too long before he is happier.