PDA

View Full Version : would you just leave them to it??

adele1985
15-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Ive got 3 mindees all week this week (9,4 and 3)

Yesterday we were really busy we made valentines day cards, make handprint plaques, handprint poem, make love heart cookies, took the dog for a walk,

Today im planning to take them to a local playground and make homemade pizzas for tea with them do you think thats enough for them to do

At the moment they are all playing nicely together playing "spies":rolleyes: would you just leave them to it

Gherkin
15-02-2012, 09:32 AM
If they are happily playing a game together I would leave them to it as I believe it is essential for children to play games of their own with their peers. It helps with social interactions and it helps them to be independent in their play.

SammyM
15-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I would, yes. School hols give me and the children a 'proper' time to play, if they want an activity I'll always prepare one just in case, but we tend to go out either morning or afternoon, then an activity if they want it, maybe even a dvd after lunch. I think they have enough structure at school, it is their holiday after all!!!

AliceK
15-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Yes
At the moment I have 2 x 2yr olds, a 4yr old and a 7yr old. They are all happily playing together and I am leaving them to play. They are happy. I've told them we'll go to the park / woods after lunch. I don't feel the need to interfere if they are all happy, I supervise from a distance.

xxxx

Polly2
15-02-2012, 10:04 AM
absolutely! child led play is very important :D

adele1985
15-02-2012, 10:08 AM
we are going to make (attempt to make) a paper mache piggy bank later today and go to the park after luch then make pizzas for tea :D

mindingmummy
15-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree, leave them to it as long as they are happy. I always allow time for
My kids to play without me each day and I notice their imagination coming through so much more than when everything is structured.

Mollymop
15-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes I too would leave them too it. I like to let them play on their own - making up their own games etc. If they start to get bored I step in and we do something together x

waterwaybabies
15-02-2012, 12:45 PM
i would leave them to it if they are safe and happy.x

i often worry that we are conditioned into singing rhymes and setting up craft projects [thanks ofsted] so much that we think we are failing if we let the kids be what they are for one day.

if i was a child again i would prefer to be allowed a lot more free play than i feel comfortable offering? xxx

Ripeberry
15-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes I too would leave them too it. I like to let them play on their own - making up their own games etc. If they start to get bored I step in and we do something together x

I find you get better Obs and understanding of the children in your care if they initiate their own play. Structured play is well and good for when they are bored or need direction. But the rest of the time it should be their ideas and interests :) (As long as they are not too destructive of course)